Those games you keep going back to.

Lothar Hex

Have anyone else got a game or selection of games that they keep going back to again and again, that just never stop being fun for you. I have three from the original Xbox. Halo, which has had enough coverage to not need anymore words devoted to it, but the other two don't get enough love.

Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge. I never played the original PC title but will have to track it down if it's even half as much fun as this. Everything from the over-the-top alternate history story to the plane design and the dogfighting just works wonderfully. I mean yes, some of the later missions do drag on but one of the first bosses is a giant (totally not a) Nazi spider-tank. It's like fighting the Terror from the Tick cartoon, except in a bi-plane with the properller at the wrong end. Classic.

The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction. Just started replaying this. A multiformat game made by radical entertainment who later went one to make Prototype on 360 and PS3, which is basically the same game but without the license, better graphics and a little less fun. I dunno, I always had the feeling that Protoype was a "Tesco's own" brand version of this excellent game. Where else game you bound around the city as a giant green man, smash a robot, pick him up and hurl him at a helicopter, then jumping onto the helicopter's harrier jet back up and kick it in to the 40ft tall robot over there before hurling a tank to finis it off?

What games do you keep returning to?

Nope not really, i tend to revist games i aint finished yet if i still have them. Like fallout 3 i finshed it two years or so after launch dispite having it day one. Same with yakuza 3, one game i could play forever is mario bros on the nes i still get the feeling i got when i got it for xmas one year as a kid when i play it.

I'd say Resident Evil 4, Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls are all games I'm unlikely to ever get tired of (although DS does require me to be in the right mood for masochism). Valkyria Chronicles is the sort of game though that I could probably have an annual play through of pretty much for ever

I go back to games I've not completed and am terrible for letting games drag out. I played Burnout 3 on the PS2 for 4 years until the save fucked up. It was one of those games I would play on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon for an hour or so, not rinsing it.

Half-Life is probably the only game I go back to playing now and again although these days I want to just have a wander down memory lane so turn the cheats on.

It is nice to go back to old games with cheats, helps you get through the inevitable crappy bits.

It's incredibly rare that I ever go back to a story based or traditional start-to-finish adventure games (the only examples I can think of in the last ten years are Resident Evil 4, Beyond Good and Evil, Bayonetta and Vanquish), but there are half a dozen or so 'experience' games that I'm always going back to, usually after a drink.

I've probably played through Rez at least five times a year since it was released, but more recently Geometry Wars 2 has replaced it as my synapse snapper of choice. Lumines and Ouendan tend to get a look in too. I'd still be playing Space Channel 5, Gitaroo Man and Frequency if they hadn't been relegated to the loft in order to make way for a baby.

So yeah, in order to keep me interested for ever make your game short and snappy with lots of pretty colours and noises!

I always go back to Rez, even moreso with RezHD sitting on the 360. Guwange is another - and again, the XBLA version was mana from heaven :)

I've recently re-bought CoD4 for the third time because I really enjoy the single player.

And Mario World gets replayed every year too. I love everything about it, I even love hating Yoshi.

:wub: :wub:

Good call on Crimson Skies.

I regularly go back to JSR and bar the size of the playing area, it's better than the sequel in every way.

Also I thoroughly enjoyed Gun Metal on the XBox. The first game where I really felt the weight of the mech I was piloting. Zipping around in Plane mode, taking out turrets and transforming into a giant mech and crushing the infantry. Never bettered by any of the Transformers games.

Last is Freedom Fighters. The ability to make tactical choices between different missions and then feel the difference it made in other areas of the map, was unique at the time (on console) and still rare to this day.

Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is one for me, surprised it's not got a mention yet. Good but simple story and lots of lovely platforming that beats out any of the other sequels. I didn't think that I would go back to Beyond Good and Evil but I guess it was the price point that swung me on that, if they do a PoP:SoT HD I will be there day one.

Can't think of anything this gen that I've gone back to really, more stuff that I mean to go back to (or even just finish).

if they do a PoP:SoT HD I will be there day one.

They did the 3 first PoP games in HD for PS3.

Although I understand it's a pretty loveless port with a lot of the atmosphere missing, which is the reason why I didn't pick it up despite the low price. That's also a game I completed twice, although I'd like to play through it again but the BC version on Xbox 360 is terrible.

Yeah, I meant a properly done version, don't have a PS3 either. The Gamecube version on Wii is fairly nice, it's the pad I originally played it with so it always feels right anyway, probably the best way to play it other than the PC version maybe?

SSX 3. I play it every winter without fail, and usually get a new platinum score and a few more collectibles for my trouble. Or just slide down Happiness :wub:

Plus the mention of Valkyria Chronicles up there ^^^ has made me want to play it again too. And probably on a harder mode so you can't just scout rush everything ;D

I never seem to get fed up with Rock Band. My 360 now is pretty much a Rock Band machine, the disc rarely leaves the drive and I do most of my other gaming on the PS3. With eight different instruments to master plus vocals, and a constant stream of excellent new releases, it's the game that keeps on giving.

I tend to rinse console games over and over and then generally leave them. With PC games i tend to come back to older games more often, mainly cause anytime i turn on the PC, there they are sitting on my hard drive ready to go, with no DVDs required. I could play S.TA.L.K.E.R shadow of chernobyl all day every day, and have finished it mroe times than i can remember. And i used to play day of defeat source constantly, and would still fire it up every now and again even tho its now about 5 years old. Oh and Demons Souls too, its over a year since i got that and im still playing it off and on

Crimson Skies, Jet Set Radio: Future, Hulk:UD, KOTOR2 (I don't care what anyone says, it's superior to the first game in all aspects), Stranger's Wrath, DX: Invisible War (as ashamed as I am to admit it, I enjoy playing this because of the awesome Dragon Tooth sword. Such an amazing weapon, nearly makes up for rest of the games numerous faults. Although nothing will ever make up for the incredibly stupid universal ammo decision. :facepalm:), Midtown Madness 3 (where's 4 dammit. :( ), Mechassault 2 Lone Wolf (such an amazing and underrated game), Otogi 1 and 2 (such a shame we'll never see a third.)

To be honest, a lot of the old Xbox back catalogue. It's the main reason I haven't got rid of my Xbox...that and it's still the best media centre I've ever owned. :D

I can't seem to stop re-playing Final Fantasy VI and VII about once per year.

A Link to the Past is also a game I revist from time to time.

Over the last couple of years, I've spent a lot of time replaying all the Fallout games (the proper ones, not the tactical combat one), as well as Baldurs Gate 2, Planescape, Morrowind and Oblivion.

Last night I bought the Gothic complete pack on Steam, can't wait to revisit Gothic 1 and 2, two stunning games.

I tend not to replay long games, never mind keep replaying them. A couple of exceptions to that rule are FFVII and MGS1, which I have completed eight and twelve times, respectively, although neither for a couple of years at least. That said, when I next feel the itch, I'll fire them up once again.

In fact, I was planning on doing a complete MGS playthrough of 1 - 4, but I haven't been able to find the time. That seems to often be the case, that something new and shiny comes out and I move onto that instead.

However, short games, I can make an exception there:

Rock Band, as mentioned. Although that's kinda cheating 'cos it's a constant stream of new releases (although I do often play all the old songs over and over).

OutRun 2 and its variants. Absolutely perfect for a quick go now and then. Got it permanently installed on the PS3 and PC.

Portal. Every now and again I just whizz through it once more, since it can be done in an evening.

Good call on Crimson Skies.

o/

F-Zero X is a good one. I love it and each time I play it there's a little difference here and there or some tiny nuance I learn about a track to take advantage of the physics in some way or another. You can play it any way you like, using the drift techniques, out right speed or just destroying the competition. Each race is quite dynamic due to the 29 other cars on the track and the energy/boost risk/reward system. Fantastic game.

Rez is great too - like revisiting an album from a good time in your life or something. It's quite basic too so you don't have to spend time re-learning old game mechanics to get along, beyond nodding your head to the relentless and rhythmic melody in Area 5. It's not enough to listen to the music though; it is an interactive experience with a beginning, middle and end (save the princess!) that is more than the sum of its parts. Quality entertainment to be enjoyed again and again.

F-Zero X is a good one.

This game is in my pile of shame, and I regret to say that I have never played it. This is despite being obssessed with F-Zero DX on the GBA (and originally on the SNES) a good few years back.

REZ is another to add to my list. I even have the trance vibrator.

I never seem to get fed up with Rock Band. My 360 now is pretty much a Rock Band machine, the disc rarely leaves the drive and I do most of my other gaming on the PS3. With eight different instruments to master plus vocals, and a constant stream of excellent new releases, it's the game that keeps on giving.

Really? I've pretty much only ever uses my PS3 as a blu-ray player, aside from brief games of flower. And since I got bought a blu-ray player and surround speakers for Christmas, I haven't turned it on. There just aren't any multiplatform games for it that I'd choose to play over their 360 counterparts; and although I'd quite like to play Uncharted 2 and a couple of other exclusives, I don't have enough of a burning desire to actually go out and buy them.

Are there ever any topics anymore where the answer isn't Resident Evil 4?

I didn't finish Resident Evil 4. I got up to a bit in a manor house where there's a dwarf and turned it off through sheer mind-numbing boredom.

But this probably shouldn't surprise me when I consider the games I go back and play each year:

UFO: Enemy Unknown (I'm playing it through again right now!)

X-Com: Terror From The Deep

Transport Tycoon Deluxe

Detroit (until I remember that after about four years you just win by default)

Lords of the Realm 2 (constantly bemoaning the lack of sheep)

All games from 15 years or more ago. I seem to be an old man.

EDIT: Also Frontier. Man, I wish Braben would actually make another sequel to Elite.