rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Bushtopher

Blade Runner.... which version?

Just watch them all. It's an excuse for multiple viewings, plus you might get a little bit extra out of each presentation. 

If it helps, your reaction probably mirrors its actual reception, way back when. 

Don't forget to get the making of documentary watched, it's on the Final Cut discs. Mind blowing cutting edge special effects that would be farted out in CGI, these days. My absolute favorite is how the composed the Rachel interview scene at the Tyrell building, and the work that went in to getting the blind to close. Closely followed by the hidden, VERY well known spaceship in one of the pans through the city.

3 hours ago, Bushtopher said:

It’s taken another 7 years (!!) but I finally got round to watching Bladerunner. 

I went with the Final Cut as recommended in this thread. 

My thoughts..... it’s not what I was expecting to be honest, and felt pretty slow going for the first hour. I’m surprised it’s thought of so highly, but then a friend suggested it’s one to watch a few times and you appreciate it more each viewing. 

I was expecting a big twist at the end re: Deckard (is he, isn’t he?) and was pleasantly surprised that there wasn’t something so clear cut or obvious. 

Perhaps I should try the theatrical release next.....

So I get a lot of shit for this, but Blade Runner sucks. Its simply not a very good movie. I believe that 100% of people who watch it for the first time will all agree that it is overrated. Unlike something genuinely amazing like Back to the Future.

First timers are the best audience, and i'm sorry it didn't live up to your expectations. But how could it? It's always been a shitty film.

Go watch The Thing or Day of the Dead if you want to watch great 80's sci fi that holds up today

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 17
  • Empathy 1

Obviously, it does hold up, but you needed to like it in the first place. It's just 80s 2049. I suspect you're in the majority of people who aren't fussed, to the extent that I'm really surprised 2049 was even made.

It's my favorite film, but I guess mileage will vary wildly.

BTTF is excellent, but I'd personally stop before getting into language like amazing. Funny, undeniably clever, and a classic. But BR is amazing, for me. Horses for courses, most people would probably agree with you.

• Upvote 1

this is like Smitty in modern tomb raider game threads.

We get it Kerraig you don't like the film.

Some people love it - deal with it. Because it looks like you are on some crusade to make people think your opinion is "right". It isn't, it is just your opinion.

You don't get shit for it because you dislike it, you get shit because you post over and over about how you don't like it and then try to equate this to some grand objective viewpoint of "oh if you saw it for first time now you would think it was bad". You make the mistake every bad critic makes, you try to argue your opinion is empirically correct and "objectively correct". Witness your argument about first time watchers of BR in the 2049 thread it falls at the first hurdle but you keep grinding on.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Clipper said:

this is like Smitty in modern tomb raider game threads.

We get it Kerraig you don't like the film.

Some people love it - deal with it. Because it looks like you are on some crusade to make people think your opinion is "right". It isn't, it is just your opinion.

You don't get shit for it because you dislike it, you get shit because you post over and over about how you don't like it and then try to equate this to some grand objective viewpoint of "oh if you saw it for first time now you would think it was bad". You make the mistake every bad critic makes, you try to argue your opinion is empirically correct and "objectively correct". Witness your argument about first time watchers of BR in the 2049 thread it falls at the first hurdle but you keep grinding on.

I'll never mention it again

• Empathy 1

When I've watched it in the past, I always found it quite boring, but I think I was watching bad versions. 

I was at the Blade Runner secret cinema last week and I thought it was great...(though I still find Rachel and Deckard scenes super dull).

16 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Kerraig is the Moz of movies. 

This one burns man. I am an absolute extoller of movies. An ambassador. A worshiper. Just not any movie. The good movies.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I have a soft spot for all versions, yes even the theatrical!

I think I prefer director's cut to final even though FC has various fixes. Some shots are shortened on FC and I prefer the pace of DC. I am torn on the fixes as well - yes the bird release on TC and DC is obviously "broken" but in some ways I liked the fact there is a jarring cut to release in blue sky. The cgi fix to zhora running through the glass is obviously well done but I found the scene utterly entrancing prior to the changes and the stunt woman does a superb job of portraying that desperate attempt at escape. I didn't need the blood when batty met his maker either.

What I don't like from DC and FC is the unicorn, I don't think you need it to make the audience wonder about Deckard - I wondered about him in the TC and even more so in the DC. The Unicorn dream isn't needed to plant that seed of doubt it is already planted and it shows the director just wants to be SURE the audience will catch on.

I haven't watched the TC in some time so I might give that a go next :D A perfect exmaple of how to take a thoughtful and gorgeous scifi classic and turn it into some weird futuristic private detective show it is sooooo conflicted that it just makes me smile everytime :D

• Upvote 3

It's been such a long time I'm going to have to give them all a rewatch. I've had a discussion in my head a few times about why I think Kerraig is completely wrong, but apart from all the interesting characters and commentaries on society, what I liked is that nothing of significant consequence happened. The world didn't end, a few people jumped ship and did a couple of murders. It's just a neon film noir, with fascinating hints of a cyberpunk future (that, I think I'm happy just being hinted at without everything being sequeled to death).

I am always very very wary of critiquing a work, especially stage or screen, by simply saying "oh nothing happens".

For example I have heard many people say that the play Abigail's Party by Mike Leigh is sort of funny but "nothing happens" - completely missing the point spectacularly.

It is completely fair enough to say that you want some sort of traditional narrative within a film or play and you want to see that narrative progress accordingly. That is totally fine but to lambast a piece that doesn't because "nothing happens" just shows ignorance.