My fondest gaming memories come from my A500 days.

The Amiga was to replace my Sinclair Spectrum. I remember spending hours on Lemmings, Speedball 2, Kick Off 2 etc.

I’m thinking about buying an A500 or a CD32 to relive my youth.

I want to get a Competition Pro as well as in my opinion that’s the great joystick ever created. Everyone at school used to rave about the Zip Stick but I thought they were just cheap shit.

The CD32 has 4 buttons so did CD32 games have different control methods over standard Amiga games? I wanted to buy a CD32 and use a competition pro but this obviously won’t be possible if CD32 games require more than one button.

Funnily enough, I was moving some stuff in my loft over the weekend and came across my A500. It is a long time since I've played on the cd32 so I can't remember on the buttons to be honest. I certainly don't remember all 4 buttons doing 4 different things.

Would it be considered sacrilegious to suggest you pick up Amiga Forever instead? That way you can have the best of both worlds, plus lots more. I was sorry to see my Amiga collection go (A500/600/1200 and CD32), but Forever is a fine replacement!

Get an A1200 for the best all rounder. CD32 is a waste of time except for Guardian.

I'd have to agree with this.

Get yourself an A1200, a compact flash adaptor, a 2 meg RAM upgrade and a registered copy of WHDLoad.

This'll give you access to hundreds of classic Amiga games fixed to run from hard drive (and to run on the 1200), and in some cases, with high score save options, second button features added, and more.

Saying that, I've just bought myself an A500 and a 512k RAM upgrade, as I miss the chug of the disk drive, and the feel of putting in and ejecting the disks. Odd, I know.

I've only purchased the A500 because I've already got a decent 1200 setup up and running.

If you need more advice, I can recommend The English Amiga Board. They're really helpful, and will get you up and running on your 1200 with ease.

I'd have to agree with this.

Get yourself an A1200, a compact flash adaptor, a 2 meg RAM upgrade and a registered copy of WHDLoad.

I say go for 8MB if possible, cost a bit more but will run everything at a decent speed especially if its installed to a HD. I'm thinking of selling my A1200 setup, got Classic Workbench (a reprogrammed version of WB3.1 built for games), 8MB expansion card, 4GB CF HD and regged copy of WHDLoad installed with full HD of games. Bees knees.

I'd forgotten all about that thread. To this day your modding of the 1200 really impresses me. A very impressive piece of work.

You should see what some people over on the English Amiga Board are cramming into Amiga 600 cases these days!

Aw shucks, very kind thanks ^_^

I'll have to check out that site - the Amiga's a fantastic machine (both functionally as well as in terms of optimised software and weird/good hardware configurations) and it's great it still gets used, whatever the format.

No one has mentioned the majesty that is Jetstrike CD32?

Hey Rasputin. If you're still out there I would pay good money for a modern update to that game. Even if the only change was making the scrolling smoother.

Should have pulled up.

Sooner than later.

But hey it's quite warm here...

Down in this crater.

I've get them blues....

...them spread all over the runway blues

No one has mentioned the majesty that is Jetstrike CD32?

Hey Rasputin. If you're still out there I would pay good money for a modern update to that game. Even if the only change was making the scrolling smoother.

What a game that was....many an hour ploughed into Jetstrike!

Hiya,

I used to be on the amiga "scene" and have lots of demo collections I`d like to share, have a couple of questions (sorry if this is off topic)

1. Are all my old 3.5" discs fckd now?

2. If not how & where can I upload them?

any help would be appreciated as I`ve got boxes of discs but don`t know what to do with em

Cheers ( my tag was Pogo from ACC if there are any of the old skool around)

Hiya,

I used to be on the amiga "scene" and have lots of demo collections I`d like to share, have a couple of questions (sorry if this is off topic)

2. If not how & where can I upload them?

any help would be appreciated as I`ve got boxes of discs but don`t know what to do with em

Cheers ( my tag was Pogo from ACC if there are any of the old skool around)

Hi, I'd join the English Amiga Board where they would be more than happy to see what you've got!

http://eab.abime.net/

I've no idea why but I always look back on the Amiga days as my favourite of my computing life. I had a spectrum for Christmas 83, upgraded to an ST in 1987 I think and then the Amiga a year later, which I kept until I hit the PC in 1994. The Amiga days were just fantastic, so many good games, demos and the like. Piracy was widespread and I mean widespread - I'd imagine it was possibly the high point in terms of the amount of stuff bought/pirated?

We used to go to a computer club that was basically a three hour copy party every Wednesday night. One dude would bring an amiga, the other three would bring a stack of discs and an external floppy drive. :) I think I actually looked forward to the demos more than the games most of the times. I still recall being open mouthed at Shadow of the Beast.

:(

I spent the whole of last night playing A-Train through WINUAE. I was that enthralled I missed my Fifa BAP practice.

A-Train thankfully is as good today as when I played it back when I was around 13.

As Goose mentioned piracy was rife back in the Amiga years.

The computer club I went to was at a local church on a Friday.

It was run by a one of my friend’s parents.

Most excellent it was too. They sold blank disks and fizzy drinks.

X Copy Pro, probably the most used application of the 90s for Amiga users.

The majority of my friends never actually bought one original game for the Amiga.

I spent the whole of last night playing A-Train through WINUAE. I was that enthralled I missed my Fifa BAP practice.

A-Train thankfully is as good today as when I played it back when I was around 13.

As Goose mentioned piracy was rife back in the Amiga years.

The computer club I went to was at a local church on a Friday.

It was run by a one of my friend’s parents.

Most excellent it was too. They sold blank disks and fizzy drinks.

X Copy Pro, probably the most used application of the 90s for Amiga users.

The majority of my friends never actually bought one original game for the Amiga.

Sounds like our old place. All A500 users, with a few ST users (also rife with piracy). X-Copy practically burnt into monitor screens. But back then you never gave it a thought, you didn't worry about people making the games and such. I think I was....probably 15 at the height of it all. We didn't have money to buy £30 games - especially when that money could buy you a hell of a lot more blank discs. I've gone back a few times and played a lot of old amiga games and many of them stand up pretty well. Obviously the graphics aren't as amazing as you remember but still pretty good. I think I perhaps miss the time more than the amiga, but it's pretty close run thing. I've thought about picking one up but I know it wouldn't be the same.

But yep - Amiga 500 over the CD32 any day. Fuck, Amiga 500 over pretty much everything I've ever owned.

When I was on the dole the CD32 with the SX1 expansion was pretty handy. I also loaded that baby up with 8 meg of fast ram and used that as a short term hard drive.

Playing Flashback, Another World or Civ after installing it into fast ram was awesome. Zero load times, zero noise.

I think you'll just have to give them a go.

On Tuesday night I tried my hacked copy of Turrican, which I'd copied way back in March 1991 (for some reason I put the date on the disk), and that worked like a charm.

My original of Leander, on the other hand, got just past the spinning 'expansion memory detected' chip, before refusing to go any further.

I think what I may start doing is going through my originals, and enclosing a CD with the ADFs and WHDLoad installations of the games on, so that I've got a secondary backup should the floppies die a death.

On the subject of 'back in the day' piracy...

It sounds like my friends and I were a little different to many of you who posted here. Sure, we'd happily pirate mountains of games, but we'd also buy stuff we really wanted and buy originals of games where we'd been playing the copied version a lot.

A paper round and then a job at the local branch of Safeway meant that I could afford to buy originals if I wanted.

I had an Amiga from xmas 91 and used it almost daily till mid 1997. I originally had a A500+ till 1994 i believe when I got an A1200.

I remember getting a whole bunch of copies with my Amiga 500+ but not only that i knew a lot of people with Amigas so we were always sharing games around etc.

The thing I liked about the Amiga though was it was such a productive machine. I'd happily make animations, games, comics and music and some video editing later on. Then there was all the public domain - i remember countless nights sitting down reading disc magazines like "The Word" which were pretty interesting.

Public Domain just seemed different back then, i guess the ease as to what we can download and have access to nowadays just ruins it a little. Don't get me wrong I like the speed as to what we can get stuff but i just found the amiga scene more enjoyable.

Then in 1995 i aquired a 2400bps modem and started using BBS's. I remember the thrill of hooking it upto my amiga and phone line without telling my parents and how amazed i was that i could access other computers, chat to people and download software. It was like in the movies, i didn't know anyone else that could do it.

Although when my parents got the phone bill they were not so happy (£200+ i recall).

I purchased a Zappo cd rom drive of a BBS mailing group (that in itself was pretty awesome). I got a load of aminet cds with it and all the amiga magazines started doing cd roms. The amount of stuff on them was pretty amazing and then i started getting into the demo scene - spending hours just watching they amazing works of computer programming!

I eventually got a 28k modem and somehow managed to get the internet working on my amiga but using my schools internet credentials. I recall having to swap floppy discs many times, copying stuff to RAM etc to get it working but it did. The good old days of aminet and #amiga on IRC..

I eventually bought a RAM expansion and hard drive and this made things much better especially with installing the huge software library i had amounted.

Then i got a PC in 1997 from my parents and slowly i stopped using my Amiga as much (although the early PC days were pretty good).

Every so often I get a reminder of my Amiga days. Being it someone who has tracked me down from the couple of amiga programs i made or just recalling me from the amiga scene in general.

Still have the Amiga 1200 (although the originally HD died i had - i replaced it but its only got workbench on) and i still have about 8 disc boxes full of amiga discs...

I still had many consoles during this time (which had a lot better games) but the amiga as a whole was a great piece of kit. Shame it eventually got run into the ground.. it didn't deserve that.

Seeing as we're having a bit of an Amiga love-in at the moment, I thought this article may raise a few smiles:

http://www.thevideojunkie.com/amiga/

It's really well written, and whilst I'd love one of the new machines, at something close to a grand for an under-specced machine, you've got to be either very dedicated, have lots of disposable income or daft (or possibly a mix of two of more of those!)

In terms of the other Amiga owners I knew back then, I was the only one with any non-pirated games (ignoring anything that wasn't bundled with the Amiga). :( Plus I always refused to let anyone make copies of my legitimate games, which made me no friends, to be honest...

In terms of the other Amiga owners I knew back then, I was the only one with any non-pirated games (ignoring anything that wasn't bundled with the Amiga). :( Plus I always refused to let anyone make copies of my legitimate games, which made me no friends, to be honest...

Whilst the majority of my fellow Amiga owning friends and I always tried to purchase originals whenever possible, we would quite happily let friends have a go at copying them.

We used to get some sort of perverse fun from trying to copy the really hard to copy titles - Cyclone usually did the trick!

So many great Amiga 500 memories. The piracy thing was crazy, being able to copy games was suddenly like having the keys to the sweet shop. I went to a computer show at the Novotel the year that they announced Lemmings and were handing out demos. I remember the X-copy stall and them demonstrating 'backing up' games. The grid on screen going through each disk sector and you'd hope that it turned green each time which meant it was good.

We bought X-copy, Dragon's Lair: Escape from Singe's Castle, 1Mb upgrade plus some other stuff I can't remember. It was amazing when I think back.

I did copy a bunch of my mates games but someone had to have it for you to get a copy so the newest games were hard to get of course. There was however a local auction which was selling off the stock of a games shop that closed down. Games were put into stacks of 10 and each stack was one lot, you bid on a stack and the price you got you could then say how many of the consecutive lots after that you wanted at that price, the good games were distributed pretty evenly and there was a lot of shit and you didn't know if the disks were even in the boxes. We missed a few but eventually won a stack for £11 I think, and took the next 6 stacks too. It was amazing going home with that many games to play. A local games shop offered trade in values for second hand games and I remember each time a game came out I really wanted like Zool and Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge III I'd just grab a stack of games and head down there and hand over as many as it took to get it without any cash. Poor guy ended up with a whole section of his shop containing the stuff I didn't want from that auction.

Maaan, this thread just reminds me, I've got to go and revisit my Amiga days sometime. Particularly the 500 glory years of 1989-1992. 16-bit computers felt like such a leap over 8-bits back then; to me, no subsequent progression through hardware generations has felt as significant.

Thing is, my 500 is long gone (sold back in 1992 by my dad, to finance a 1200), as is my 1200 (sold back in 2003 after years of neglect), my CD32 has only D/Generation and can't run the few floppy disk games I still have... Dont suppose there is a good, reliable Amiga emu for Mac OS X, is there? :unsure:

I've spent some of the weekend faffing around on my newly purchased A500, and it looks like the drive has some sort of head alignment issue. Some games work and some don't. I know the disks are OK, as they work fine in my A1200 (Leander and Pang being two that don't work in the 500, but are OK in the 1200).

Running a head cleaner through the drive, and taking the drive out in an effort to work out how to re-align the heads has done nothing to resolve the issue.

I've found a spare A500 drive on Ebay for a tenner, so have decided to give that a go.

Hopefully I'll be up and running with that in the next week or so.

Missed out on the Amiga back in the day, had an ST instead (which I still have in the attic, lots of fond memories there), but I did get an A600 in 1997 for £50. Gave that one to someone just over a year ago who would get more use out of it than me, but whenever I want to go back play an old 16-bit game I always choose the Amiga version over ST even though it would've been the ST version that I had back then.

Modded Xbox 1 hooked up to a CRT is a lovely and cheap way to do it if you haven't got the original kit or the dosh/inclination to pimp up an A1200.