Deus Ex 2

bplus

Yeah... I think you need a DX9 card.

Nope.

But no one should be using an MX card anyway.

From Ebgames.com (as I couldn't find anything on the dx2 website) :

System Requirements:

Intel Pentium IV 1.3ghz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent); Windows 98SE/2000/XP (95/NT not supported); 256 MB System RAM; 32 MB 100% DirectX 9.x compatible 3D graphics cards; 100% DirectX 9.x compatible-Compatible Sound Card; Quad Speed (4X) CD-ROM drive; 2GB free disk space; 100% Windows 98SE/2000/XP compatible mouse and keyboard

You don't need a fully Direct X 9.0 compliant card to run the game though. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to run the demo on my GF4400 (not to mention that the Xbox would be jiggered as well).

What I don't understand is why could I run Halflife2 but not DX2? Ok i had turn turn the res/details down but no big deal, the great thing about DX was(is?) the story not the graphics. Why are they stopping me playing this game just by not making it scalable?*

*Is that the right word?

Yeah, ive only been playing this a few hours or so, it does seem good but it also feels unfinnished (the frame rate is ridiculous). Probably rushed out for xmas season, which is just so stupid, deus ex 1 has a huge following, you could release dues ex 2 anytime of the year and it would still sell buy the bucket load or am i wrong here? Do you reckon eidos (i think they published didnt they) "made" them rush it out for xmas?

Intel Pentium IV 1.3ghz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent); Windows 98SE/2000/XP (95/NT not supported); 256 MB System RAM; 32 MB 100% DirectX 9.x compatible 3D graphics cards; 100% DirectX 9.x compatible-Compatible Sound Card; Quad Speed (4X) CD-ROM drive; 2GB free disk space; 100% Windows 98SE/2000/XP compatible mouse and keyboard

A direct X 9.X compatible card, is not the same thing as a card that has Direct X 9 features.

As long as the driver is DX9 compatible, it will work - albeit without the extra detail DX9 offers, so a Geforce 4 (DirectX8.1 card), a Geforce MX (a Direct X 7 card) should, in theory, work - They are supported under Direct X 9 drivers from nvidia.

As Auditor put it so much better - Compatible and Compliant are not the same thing.

am i the only person in the world that actually enjoyed the demo?

i ordered this game from DVDBO ages ago and it still ain't shipped. mean while MR Piracy here has it already...

*opens Kazaa

Nope, I thought it was great too.

BTW, check your DVDBO filled order status page to see if it's been shipped. Mine was shipped on Friday but I only received the email a couple of hours ago.

Well my copy will be arriving soon from DVDBO (was dispatched a few days ago) so I'm looking forward to it. It will be good, it will be good, it will be good.

Really, it looks nice and plays a bit like Deus Ex or at least reminds me of Deus Ex, I'll probably cream my pants and love it. Who says fanboys aren't easy to please!? It's going to rock.

Deus Ex 2 is gaming by proxy.

Overly restrictive level structure (there are mutliple choices, sure, but they are obvious and restricted within themselves - e.g. juxtapose the opening of DE2 and the opening of DE1), there's also the badly constructed narrative, and while the physics are GREAT, the framerate is CHOPPY (and I don't even care about those things) plus the loading times attrocious.

I'm not finding it that hard though, breakie. I don't like the way the game is rationing out the ammo, though - or the ammo system in general for that matter.

Um, and for some reason I feel an added lean option would have made some shootouts deliciously fun. Otherwise they're just rubbish.

And that 'characters can hear you' gumpf that Edge covered in its preview? Not special.

But even so, I have enjoyed the 20-odd hours I've had so far (although thanks to the countless deaths and experiments I've done with it, it says I've only racked up five).

am i the only person in the world that actually enjoyed the demo?

i ordered this game from DVDBO ages ago and it still ain't shipped. mean while MR Piracy here has it already...

*opens Kazaa

Nope, I thought it was great too.

BTW, check your DVDBO filled order status page to see if it's been shipped. Mine was shipped on Friday but I only received the email a couple of hours ago.

yeah i just did and it shipped today! cheers dood. although still no e-mail confirmation. they have been slacking off lately :o

• 1 year later...

I had some fun with it but never got round to getting very far. I'm one of those people who doesnt go for one route but likes to see everything, I have to have every item, see every corner etc etc, so it really slowed me down ;)

Good game though, worth £12, no doubt.

One of the most unfairly slammed games ever. It's just pure class.

*sigh* I don't want to slag it off, I just can't help it, I can't look at it objectively. If I could forget ever having played the first one I'd probably love it, but I resent it getting so many things so wrong.

Oh, and do people don't react differently if i'm holding a gun, and I seem to remember them doing that in the first game? I might be going mad, but if they did then it seem like a really big oversight.

you're right, they don't give a shit. I still did it out of habit though.

*sigh* I don't want to slag it off, I just can't help it, I can't look at it objectively. If I could forget ever having played the first one I'd probably love it, but I resent it getting so many things so wrong.

I agree, yet I've grown tired of bringing up the same points over and over; the biomod system, the inventory system, universal ammo, the plot, the characters, and I refuse to do so again in some kind of nightmarish ressurected zombie thread.

Damn you for making me consider all of this again, cubeadvance! *Shakes fist*

It's not a bad game but yeah when I compare it to the original it is just not as good IMO. I wasn't too bothered with the whole universal ammo thing, for me it was the biomod system that let it down. Not a very good replacement of the skills and augs from the first game.

;) 15 months old thread brought back to life. That is not something we see every day.

Forumite in uses search facility before posting shocker :(

(In other news, I have yet to buy Deus Ex II. I will though... one day)