Deus Ex 2

bplus

Hi,

Just downloaded this, full version (ill buy it when it comes out here probably).

The front end is a wee bit annoying, but not anywhere near as bad as the demo.

I m running it on the following

athlon xp 2200

geforce 4200 ti 128mb

512 ddr ram

Have to turn everything down as low as possible and the frame rate is still shite. (which is fairly ridiculous if you ask me)

It feels really like deus ex 1 (the opening level is alot more friendly thou).

The physics are fun (as you ll have noticed from the demo) throwing dead bodies about is strangely satisfying.

There is alot of choice in what you can do from the very start.

Annoyingly the people you shoot still dont react (just like deus ex 1)

The demo really doesnt do this justice (imo).

Overall (i ve only been playing two hours) this surpasses any of the crap fps s I ve been playing lately the pc. I like it. it just feels so engaging.

Sorry about the fragmented nature of all of the above, im drunk and im no reviewer.

Yeah, I found the demo to be shit, but am finding the full thing rather more compelling. The only things that annoy me are the horrible, horrible load times and combat. I much prefer the hacking/sneaking/rpging and if there are more that two people with decent guns you end up getting bum rushed and killed (and I keep forgetting to save often enough).

It runs okay on my machine with full settings at 1024x768

So I take it the A.I went to a similar school as the first Deus Ex game then. That's weird, as I'm sure when Edge did their big DE2 preview, they said the A.I was a major concern to them, and they had been working on it for a long time.

So, do the characters actually talk to each other then?

The AI problems and the terrible framerate on the xbox version have made it unplayable. Shame really.

Bugger - I was hoping for a smoother framerate on the xbox... looks like the PC version for me, even though I've a good system I thought my graphics card might let me down.

I'm currently playing the original and it's stunning - even if it's a prettier carbon copy of the original it going to play superbly.

you do get used to the poor frame rate; (XBOX) I`d say it can dip to 15fps but usually runs about 20-25. A good yard stick for the frame rate would be the PS2 conversion of the first game.

It doest stop this being one cracking game though but it is a disapointment....

Damn it, my lost my save games from the first game and I can't be arsed to start again.  Does it carry on from the first game, story wise?

Obviously the plots tie in.... but this game I think is set 20-30 years after the events of the first?

you do get used to the poor frame rate; (XBOX) I`d say it can dip to 15fps but usually runs about 20-25. A good yard stick for the frame rate would be the PS2 conversion of the first game.

It doest stop this being one cracking game though but it is a disapointment....

:unsure:

I was hoping I'd get into this more than the 1st (which I really MUST pick up again for a fiver soon), but if the conversion is ass...

Still the shoddy framerate on KOTOR didn't put me off.

Hopefully they'll smarten up the PAL Xbox version before it's release. It was rather rushed for an Xmas release in the US apprently.

I remember reading a couple of reviews of the first game and buying it on the off chance of it being a so-so FPS. God how wrong was I. It was possibly the best game I ever owned on my pc and I had to run it with everything turned off as my pc was crap and loved every minute of it. It didn't deter me from playing right through to the end (even if my computer did break down and cry from the strain).

For reference, it runs smoothish (not rock solid fps and jerky at times) on :

Athlon XP 3200+

Radeon 9800 Pro

1gb ram

Not the most efficient game ever then.

:) Crikey!

I assume thats with everything turned up though? AA etc.?

KOTOR kinda got away with it's framerate though, I mean it was an RPG.

But deus ex? I was hoping it'd be a pretty solid conversion, now I don't know what version to get (if any - for the time being at least)

I've been finding Deus Ex 2 to be more of an RPG that the first one. Kind of more like KOTOR in play structure. The only thing I don't like is the combat really. I wish the game wouldn't force you into combat situations.

I don't think the mx 4 can run deus ex 2 at all can it. I think you need a video card with pixel shaders and stuff.

MX4 carda are now becomming obsolete in term sof running the latest games. Pro Evo and Prince of Persia being examples where you need at least a GeForce 3 / Radeon 8500 to run them (A Geforce 4MX is not a Geforce 4 card - it is an enhanced Geforce 2 card).

i think i'll wait for the PAL xbox version, not that i'm hoping they'll improve the frame rate or anything i just can't be bothered fiddling with my PC.

what worries me more is the recent interview with Spector in which he was talking about tweaking the gameplay because some folks weren't happy about head shots and the like but this was about two weeks ago. i hope we're not getting something only half done here.

Yeah... I think you need a DX9 card.

Nope.

But no one should be using an MX card anyway.

From Ebgames.com (as I couldn't find anything on the dx2 website) :

System Requirements:

Intel Pentium IV 1.3ghz (or AMD Athlon XP equivalent); Windows 98SE/2000/XP (95/NT not supported); 256 MB System RAM; 32 MB 100% DirectX 9.x compatible 3D graphics cards; 100% DirectX 9.x compatible-Compatible Sound Card; Quad Speed (4X) CD-ROM drive; 2GB free disk space; 100% Windows 98SE/2000/XP compatible mouse and keyboard