rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

On 26/06/2020 at 10:07, Cocky said:

If you have a desk that can take a clamp, the tertial lights from ikea are the best to get. They are very solidly made and very cheap (at least they are here). The bulbs are a bit yellowish for my taste so you'll also want a couple of 5000K or over bulbs. All in mine cost about $50 for two lights and four extra bulbs.

I do have a couple of better lamps. I tried a different set up, took the below, then the wife told me I had the aperture or something set too low, so I need to try again.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

4 hours ago, Mikes said:

I do have a couple of better lamps. I tried a different set up, took the below, then the wife told me I had the aperture or something set too low, so I need to try again.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

I’ve found I need to get the light very close to the tops of the models, facing forward towards them. I then get the camera in directly below the light and will play about with brightness/contrast etc in post. 

Great looking squad, I really want to do a yellow paint scheme but always hear about how difficult it is. How did you find the yellow?

Something like this just using iPhone photo options

C27D6BFB-AC17-417D-9CB7-4B410EBBC7AB.jpeg

• Upvote 2

Holy crap! What settings did you use to do that?

And thanks. The yellow i just citadel contrast iyanden yellow over a white base. I used an airbrush and learned a few tings in the process - one being to use several *very* thin layers in a pass. It's very easy for it to pool and become orange. It's hard to tell in the image above as I arranged the minis to hide that, but you can see one example on the lead leg of the central figure in the front row.

But even without the contrast yellow isn't hard to do, you just have to use several thin coats over a light surface.

OK, think I have it. Still need to try the light positioning though.

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Upvote 2

@Mikes

daylight is the best thing if you’re struggling with lighting. 
Are you using a phone or a camera?
If a camera try getting it on a tripod and put it in manual, set a narrow aperture like f16 and a longish exposure, low iso and see how you get on playing around. That way everything should be in focus. There’s a good article on photographing minis on the GW website. 

As for the yellow it sounds like you’re making it hard on yourself. If you want to turn them around quickly, I did this guy in less than an hour I reckon, before the weathering. (the gun is shit but that’s the time saving) but the yellow was contrast yellow over white, agrax in recesses, then the citadel averland sunset yellow, yriel yellow and then screaming skull highlights. I’d expect you’d be able to produce something much better than this quickly. 
If you are trying to get them done quickly I’d argue you could skip the writing on the parchment and the blood splatter. 

After a few years I reckon I’m now solidly in the low end of tabletop quality when it comes to painting. There’s no way I could try and earn money from it. When I sold my DG army I got £650 for 80odd models that I paid around £300 - £350 for and spent months building and painting. My hourly rate must have been pennies for that lot. 
I kind of regret selling them all now, but most of the models themselves wouldn’t have sold individually or in squads so needed to sell it all. 

0662FAE3-A167-423E-8749-8CE24CD6ADAA.jpeg

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Mikes said:

Holy crap! What settings did you use to do that?

yeah, we can all learn from that.  I don’t adjust any settings, getting things in focus causes enough issues at times :lol:

one change I did make this year which helps photos & painting is using some baking paper to diffuse the light.  Just held onto this famous Ikea lamps with magnets.

C08EA7ED-86DF-483F-A013-A537E0A0DD02.jpeg

14 hours ago, And said:

@Mikes

daylight is the best thing if you’re struggling with lighting. 
Are you using a phone or a camera?
If a camera try getting it on a tripod and put it in manual, set a narrow aperture like f16 and a longish exposure, low iso and see how you get on playing around. That way everything should be in focus.  

Thanks for that, I'll give it a go. I have no idea how cameras work so any pointers are welcome.

For the yellow though, the armour was actually the quickest aspect of those models. Two quick passes the with the AB and done. In all I clocked in just over 9 hours from base coat to finish, and I reckon I can get that down a few hours with repetition. I have two squads of Primaris coming, one fo which I'm going to paint Imperial Fists again to keep the momentum going.

I’m almost ashamed to post after those!

I’ve been painting my tiny astronaut, hard to get a good photo of it.  Plan is to stick on spacecraft the use the airbrush to add lighting from the lava & shadows.

C384546C-DFE2-46E3-A18E-A88C950D1451.jpeg

28D9965A-8880-4A34-9A6A-E78BFC85485A.thumb.jpeg.77ce062be59fc3aac7ffc47a69b10448.jpeg

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, The Bag said:

I’m almost ashamed to post after those!

I’ve been painting my tiny astronaut, hard to get a good photo of it.  Plan is to stick on spacecraft the use the airbrush to add lighting from the lava & shadows.

28D9965A-8880-4A34-9A6A-E78BFC85485A.thumb.jpeg.77ce062be59fc3aac7ffc47a69b10448.jpeg

He’s tiny! Did you make him? I really want to try some of the custom stuff in the same vein as what you are posting. I’m too scared to venture away from the box art colour schemes at the moment!

On 21/06/2020 at 19:08, Cocky said:

More superheroes 

Knight+Models+DC+Superheroes?format=2500

This is incredible. You talented bastard.

On 24/06/2020 at 21:47, The Bag said:

Added some crackle paint, took a knife to my crappy sculpting, re-airbrushed it, and am blacking the rocks in black.  Not going to be black, more a moon rock grey I think.

E4C419F4-DAE7-4B65-BCBF-70F4762C49B7.thumb.jpeg.d71c2179e04df583c6c7c5709a8d6541.jpeg

You made the right decision, this is ace.

On 05/07/2020 at 03:23, The Bag said:

No need to point, we can see it.

• Upvote 1

Mistakes were made.  It proves the idea, but about everything that could go wrong when airbrushing did, attempts were made to rescue it with a brush.  Thinking I might strip the capsule and paint it again.

This was meant to be quick, silly fun… I did this to myself :doh:

• Upvote 5

Trying to relax after a shitty day with a bit of painting.  Not in the mood for any of my current projects so threw some paint at this guy in a stippling/pointillism way.  The skin tone is a few greens & a red. 

04F64FF1-F252-48BC-8D9A-A20F2B47B3A2.thumb.jpeg.5949ddda2bfbf3ca615316652dd36e83.jpeg

5EE7B0AA-11B4-4E86-A845-0BB60F8BB326.thumb.jpeg.0ca9168d953abe15652c7aa6a0feabc5.jpeg

52650D61-FCE3-4D1B-8113-EC14AA80FF6B.thumb.jpeg.d7638768857eb46b30afcf93b7120104.jpeg

AFC46CA6-E4DF-44DB-8416-E78BD35B5F62.thumb.jpeg.26d40d14322b9007d072f94c3dea630f.jpeg

• Upvote 6

The new Arcworlde KS, er,.kicks ofd tomorrow. I'm interestes, but it's only for the new Imperials minis which, while great, aren't one of the two factions im interestes in. Although it is a decent saving on a starter warband and rules book from the regular store prices.

However i still want to get into Twilight, and so do my kids. Plus there's a small base of players for that at my local club.

Reckon i might have to swallow the sloght extra to get the warband i want later and use this money for twilight. 

On 21/07/2020 at 08:42, Mikes said:

The new Arcworlde KS, er,.kicks ofd tomorrow.

And it's out and funded. I jumped in, because I have zero impulse control.

Finally finished the Dark Imperium box set, the day before Indomitus. These larger characters and monsters from the Death Guard have been my favourite to paint so far, they really are fantastic. I considered griming/rusting/bloodying them up but was hesitant and quite like the clean feel. Bring on tomorrow and my next challenge. 

A9F765CE-1444-4177-B6E5-56CE2E51708A.jpeg

7F6393F8-3271-4DFF-AD65-CF7094B1D06B.jpeg

• Upvote 8

Splendid. I still haven’t finished mine 2 and a half years later. 

• Upvote 1

@Nicky That looks amazing! Love the paint peeling effect. How big is it? Also need tips on your photo set up!

On 22/07/2020 at 09:22, Mikes said:

And it's out and funded. I jumped in, because I have zero impulse control.

And I jumped out. I figured the savings weren' worth getting into a game with a faction I didn't really fancy. Also I found a good deal on some old Second edition 40k Wolf Guard terminators and ecdied they sparked more joy.

6 hours ago, erhgiez said:

@Nicky That looks amazing! Love the paint peeling effect. How big is it? Also need tips on your photo set up!

hey thanks. it's 9cm tall. i use a full photography setup and black velvet. so 2 480led panels at 10 and 2 o clock with a low angle

• Upvote 1

I am entering into a new era of focused and productive painting. I know have a permanent set up. 

Although in reality I suspect it just means I’ll start more projects to not finish!

F0FEA995-625B-4596-940F-211B6EE8F711.jpeg

• Upvote 5

It's not much but it's the first I've painted since before lockdown so thought I'd throw it up. Also just noticed I forgot the eyebrows...

Scanlan miniature from Critical Role. One of my PCs is playing a gnome bard so painted this up if we ever play on the table. Going to work through the rest of the party (with mainly CR minis).

t8WA3ME.jpg

• Upvote 8