rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Currently got the face on with painting minis. Of all the hobbies I could have chosen I don't think I'd find anything as frustrating as this. I spend so much time faffing and trying to be careful that it takes forever to get anywhere and it's pissing me off, which is all 100% my own failings, but if I'm not careful laying down the basics correcting and covering cack handedness takes much longer.

All I've done today is paint the bones and the purple balls. The paint for the bone was really thin which also pissed me off. How people paint something like this in like 2 hours baffles me.

IMG_20191117_153943-2958x3944.jpg

IMG_20191117_153934-2958x3944.jpg

• Upvote 6

It looks really neat and a nice solid coat, though. Don't worry too much about how long it is taking at the moment, as you practice it will become much quicker. 

• Upvote 1

Although, despite what I said about it getting quicker, I spent half an hour yesterday painting a model's socks. I was painstakingly painting the lines in the material on the socks. At the end, I realised I had been painting them horizontally instead of vertically. :facepalm:

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Although, despite what I said about it getting quicker, I spent half an hour yesterday painting a model's socks. I was painstakingly painting the lines in the material on the socks. At the end, I realised I had been painting them horizontally instead of vertically. :facepalm:

stripey socks!

Thanks everyone, the camera hides a lot of my cackhandedness. I do forget to do the light colours first because they'll be easier to cover up if I go outside the lines. I had a look at it this morning and it's not as bad as I remember so I'm going to start imposing a 24 hour posting rule where I have to walk away till the next day and then post it up to stop myself looking like a whiney shitbag.

6 minutes ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Do you think youll ever release these outside of kickstarter?

Not actually sure at the moment. All depends on if this KS actually funds. I mean, you could pledge for £4 and get them when the KS come along I guess :p 

10 hours ago, Aluco said:

"Sorry if it's not any good!"

Oh come on!

Your modesty is totally unjustified.

thats very kind of you to say but I dont think it is. Im not very good. Id love some tips.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, mrsnrub said:

thats very kind of you to say but I dont think it is. Im not very good. Id love some tips.

Nah! You have a great depth range in your shade and highlights. You demonstrate an instinctive  appreciation of colour theory in your mixing of red with the green. You are doing well.

Practice and expanding your range will build on that. Watch some YouTube, read a little and just paint.

The most significant recommendation I share is: Get and use a wet pallete.

It makes getting a smooth finish so much easier when you are not constantly trying to manage paint that is getting sticky because it is starting to dry.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, mrsnrub said:

Paint a lot, enjoy yourself and don't worry about messing up. If you want to get more specific the best piece of advice I ever received was finish every model that you start. Finishing a model is the best skill any painter can have regardless of their ability.

• Upvote 3

Cocky is absolutely correct, finish your shit. Worry about everything after. It looks good to my eyes. I'm in no position to really critique it.

In the vague spirit of this I did a bit more on my plague marine because apparently sitting down to paint is something I struggle with as I get fidgety. When I get time I'm going to spend a good few hours at it instead of the hour/hour and half I seem to do atm.

plague.thumb.jpg.37c1adb2109ae0240f370a50d6143e26.jpg

Blocking in is nearly done. I only realised after I looked at the booklet that comes with the minis I have a tendancy to ignore details, like the trim on the belly plate and thigh plates. I'll worry about that later. The biggest challenge I'm going to have is making it look grotty while keeping the almost cartoonish colours, so any advice on that would be greatly appreciated.

• Upvote 3

I’d say hit the gold and purple with druchii violet and the green with Athonian camo, sepia on the bone and see what it looks like. 
then layer up with the same colours again probably. 

I've done about 40 death guard infantry and they really suit the citadel base / wash / 2 layers approach. Lots of nice detail to catch highlights. Lots of good creases for the inks to mask your joins. 

• Upvote 1

Did a bit of work on the bust the other night, I’ve tried to warm up the shadows & refine things a bit.  Really happy with the colour I’ve managed to get on the left side of the head now.

And in tonight’s lesson we’ve been doing extreme highlights & eyes.  The irises aren’t the roundest but they did point in the same direction FIRST TIME which makes a big change for me.

The Anonymous busts are great fun to paint.

919B859C-1917-49E4-8833-DAD452155C2A.thumb.jpeg.74b1799374e73abe2c1972e16f7b9645.jpeg

53460EF5-141B-4ACB-9F1C-562BB4E68071.thumb.jpeg.fcba0b44e7531482e2cc2cfaea4c5f4c.jpeg

0BC64A3A-3ABB-481C-B327-8316E74A2187.thumb.jpeg.ac96659d00b50363e49902996628e5eb.jpeg

898C4B02-62F0-432D-B575-6930A9565F9B.thumb.jpeg.3ffc90736c5ae75fa91a4129ae213885.jpeg

• Upvote 9