rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

On 11/11/2019 at 01:29, Mikes said:

Anyone here use an ultrasonic cleaner for airbrushes?  I'm wondering if something like this would alleviate the arseache of cleaning mine:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Digital-Ultrasonic-Cleaner-Ultra-Sonic-for-Bathtank-Jewelry-Glasses-Shaver-Tooth/372739097076?hash=item56c8fb41f4:g:xuMAAOSwRkJdVLoR

How often are you breaking it down?  I’ve only ever done the couple of times I blocked it with white when I first started using it.  I’ve been following the advice of the Badger Airbrushes owner (he did a talk at adepticon on airbrushes, it’s on YouTube) and said you should really only have to shoot cleaner through it.  Being lazy that appeals so that’s what I do - empty the cup, put water through it, wipe out the cup, put cleaner through.  When it’s coming out clear you’re done.  I’ve not yet had an issue with just doing this.

An ultrasonic cleaner is useful for cleaning airbrushes and will remove any hard to reach paint. I don't do it too often as @The Bag says airbrush cleaner normally does the trick, but when I leave paint in the cup or if I get a bad blockage putting the airbrush in the us cleaner makes the cleaning process less of a headache. I wouldn't get something that cheap though @Mikes unless someone has recommended it to you. 

So I've not been posting much of late as it's been a bad year. If it wasn't for that harry potter commission I'd probably be packing boxes for amazon. Since earning something is better than nothing I've been painting infinity models to sell on ebay for a bit less than I'd like. So far it's going okay as I've earned more money than I would have and also picked up a new client. Another benefit is that from all of the practice my quality/time ratio has bumped up. These are all technically what I call my gaming standard.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Cocky said:

An ultrasonic cleaner is useful for cleaning airbrushes and will remove any hard to reach paint. I don't do it too often as @The Bag says airbrush cleaner normally does the trick, but when I leave paint in the cup or if I get a bad blockage putting the airbrush in the us cleaner makes the cleaning process less of a headache. I wouldn't get something that cheap though @Mikes unless someone has recommended it to you. 

Thanks, Cocky. That's basically why I need it. I often have to stop ABing pretty quickly and don't get a proper flush and clean done. Aldi down here sometimes have them for sale, but they're life twice yearly so getting one is hard, but everyone who uses it says it's the bees knees, the mutts nuts, and various bits of other animals too.  Also apparently they're amazing for stripping paint from minis, which I didn't even consider.

1 hour ago, Cocky said:

So I've not been posting much of late as it's been a bad year. If it wasn't for that harry potter commission I'd probably be packing boxes for amazon. Since earning something is better than nothing I've been painting infinity models to sell on ebay for a bit less than I'd like. So far it's going okay as I've earned more money than I would have and also picked up a new client. Another benefit is that from all of the practice my quality/time ratio has bumped up. 

Damn, I hope things turnaround soon. There's a pro painter I play often at Malifaux and honestly his stuff doesn't come close to yours. Fingers crossed for better days for you.

4 hours ago, The Bag said:

How often are you breaking it down?  I’ve only ever done the couple of times I blocked it with white when I first started using it.  I’ve been following the advice of the Badger Airbrushes owner (he did a talk at adepticon on airbrushes, it’s on YouTube) and said you should really only have to shoot cleaner through it.  Being lazy that appeals so that’s what I do - empty the cup, put water through it, wipe out the cup, put cleaner through.  When it’s coming out clear you’re done.  I’ve not yet had an issue with just doing this.

That's what I try to do also, but time isn't always on my side and I don't always get to do a proper flush unfortunately. Right now there's a build up of gunk on the inside I can't get to without a proper break down and clean each individual componant, which I've done before but damn it's time consuming. 

3 minutes ago, Nathan Wind said:

Painted a mini elephant!  Quite pleased for a first real go in many years.  It's absolutely tiny, maybe 23mm or so.

IMG_0452.JPG.444fd0279fd3d4b37e83d52dc6b68515.JPG

That's really nice and cute what range is it from?

I’ve found a load of Games Workshop miniatures from when I was younger, so you’d be looking at anything from 20 - 25 years ago. 

Most are painted, some aren’t, most are metal but there’s some plastic ones too. 

Is there any value in the old stuff, and if there is, how easy is it to remove all my ( mediocre ) painting?

If there’s any interest here, I can post pictures?

Thanks. 

Yes there is, a lot of interest, and some of tjem can be quite sought after. Grt on facebook and search for 'oldhammer buy sell swap' and ask for an appraisal. You'll find buyers.

You, er, dont have heroquest do you?

I did, but no longer, and I also had the original big box 40k plus a load of manuals for various races but not any more. :(

I’m not on Facebook, so that’s not going to work. 

I’d rather they went to a good home so I’ll stick some photos on here & if there’s any interest, you can PM me. 

So...this is what was going to be the stretch goal for the Kickstarter. But...needs must and I've got to reveal it now.

Which I'm quite happy about because I think he's cool.

And big.

Very. Very. Big.

Hephfinal.thumb.jpg.c66c58df61cb46db7cdaa2428cb0e882.jpg

Hephfinal2.thumb.jpg.fabc808a2a855d51db7cc16310abdf65.jpg

To put it into context:

sizecomp2.thumb.jpg.c4793cd94da400531fc5794a1a74bd4f.jpg

• Upvote 9

2 minutes ago, The Bag said:

That’s so fucking cool, I’ve already a backlog a mile long of big models but fuck me I need that!

You're more than welcome to pledge :D . I kind of need the help!

24 minutes ago, JoeK said:

You're more than welcome to pledge :D . I kind of need the help!

I did after I posted that & realised I hadn’t got round to it yet, sorry dude life’s been crazy around here.

• Upvote 1

On 12/11/2019 at 19:21, ph0rce said:

I did, but no longer, and I also had the original big box 40k plus a load of manuals for various races but not any more. :(

I’m not on Facebook, so that’s not going to work. 

I’d rather they went to a good home so I’ll stick some photos on here & if there’s any interest, you can PM me. 

Whatcha got buddy?

16 hours ago, Nicky said:

Whatcha got buddy?

Here you go!

IMG_8001.jpg.754176874c55e97ae3b8899960bdcc1b.jpg

Orc Stormboyz?

IMG_8002.jpg.220b18ed461125ca13c83b0ea5ddef64.jpg

Orc Snakebites?

IMG_8003.jpg.2bf023ac520b4a09bd3a96ebfc1a4e32.jpg

A variety of Orcs, maybe a Shaman on the end & them part of a set at the back?

IMG_8004.jpg.4d1df67da5a3c4cc1b29cfaccc8c520b.jpg

Orc cannons & goblin 'engineers'?

IMG_8005.jpg.7fd2d264085b23e1834fc3d6421c92b7.jpg 

Large Orcs, the one in the middle was the main Orc leader IIRC?

IMG_8006.jpg.3430a82a78add257f3ed332f55dda687.jpg

Some painted human commandos, a half painted cannon, random Orc, random purple guy & the best thing I ever painted, an Eldar ( Elder? ) figure.

IMG_8007.jpg.49b909459878c68af318763048805b64.jpg

A large unassembled robot!

IMG_8008.jpg.82609cc2e0b20c3a9dae5ddea8ca713d.jpg

Unpainted commandos, unpainted Eldar figures & attachments

IMG_8009.jpg.3d0b9cfe549f097dae4c3ebc8eab6280.jpg

Assorted weapons & decals.

A couple questions;

- Do I have anything particularly desirable or hard to get hold of?

- Does anyone have a rough idea of what they'd be worth, both how much I could get for them if I split & how much I'd be looking at if I just wanted rid of them in one go?

If you require a better photo of anything, let me know.

Thanks for looking.

On 12/11/2019 at 18:56, Mikes said:

Yes there is, a lot of interest, and some of tjem can be quite sought after. Grt on facebook and search for 'oldhammer buy sell swap' and ask for an appraisal. You'll find buyers.

You, er, dont have heroquest do you?

I have Heroquest. It's next to the table with my son as soon as we work through our current play of 'Deathtrap Dungeon'.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Here you go!

Orc Stormboyz?

Orc Snakebites?

Some painted human commandos, a half painted cannon, random Orc, random purple guy & the best thing I ever painted, an Eldar ( Elder? ) figure.

A couple questions;

- Does anyone have a rough idea of what they'd be worth, both how much I could get for them if I split & how much I'd be looking at if I just wanted rid of them in one go?

Thanks for looking.

That ghazghkull thraka is worth about $40-50 au alone, so around 20 quid. I think the best approach would be to split them into orks, imperial and eldar, then check the individual roices for each model/unit using ebay then either put them there or get a friend to put them on facebook for you. 

I've been out of the oldhammer game for a while but it doesn't  seem unreasonable to say you'd get around £100 for the lot. I could be qrong though.

1 hour ago, The Eagle Lord said:

Those Werewolves what are they? The look like something from "On The Use Of Shape-Shifters In Warfare"

They're dogsoliders from Infinity. And actually probably the worst sculpts from the line. The Cameronian is my own personal favourite. Sxi fi werewolf in a kilt.

1 hour ago, Mikes said:

They're dogsoliders from Infinity. And actually probably the worst sculpts from the line. The Cameronian is my own personal favourite. Sxi fi werewolf in a kilt.

Thank you very much! I will be coming back for painting tips on getting that fur looking like yours. 

15 hours ago, ph0rce said:

Here you go!

Orc Stormboyz?

Orc Snakebites?

A couple questions;

Thanks for looking.

and the Zodgrod Wortsnaga to the right of Gaz, the dude with the giant claw grbber is another 35-40 USD

On the subject of old greenskins, I've almost finished up a unit of squig hoppers for AoS, somewhat spurred on by having just bought the new Sisters of Battle box set and rather needing to clear the way for them...

They're currently waiting for varnish to dry, before I add final detail to the bases (and paint their sides), but otherwise are more or less done to a degree I'm happy with. I also particularly like the mish-mash of modern plastics and classic metal models; I think it makes for quite a nice combination (links to full size images):

790415164_SquigHoppers1.thumb.jpg.c4bb02e6cabde9bb0ec93cf4cbf6bfa7.jpg

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZRpjQULWE9VcVtvJ8

233599743_SquigHoppers2.thumb.jpg.1ff43891c827c1d526413c3db8015435.jpg

Incidentally, all of the purple cloaks (and the bottom-right squig) were achieved using contrast paint (in some cases tidied up with a bit of highlighting after the fact, in many not), as was the spore-plume that the pink squig is leaping from. I've been quite pleased with just how much contrast paint can speed up the process!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zTVRBiiP4uMVGyz76

• Upvote 3

Yesterday’s lesson was painting one of Banshee’s busts with skin tones mixed from the primaries and black & white.  So this is a sketch, in need of further refinement, trying to find lighting, tones, and extremes of highlight.  I’m so bad at pushing my highlights.  

Lots of wet blending, bit of layering, and some glazing.  Using the S75 artists paints, still getting used to them they have a longer working life than I’m used to so at the start the wet blending was lifting rather than blending.

Started off by mixing all 3 primaries together into the so called master skin tone, then adding white and more of a primary to find a base skin tone.  I ended up with this colour:

89A95BFD-0BA6-45DD-BBB6-463A58C6CD5D.thumb.jpeg.090e91438ece881feeffad28b957c5f3.jpeg

The start things off by slapping that all over, then while it’s still wet hitting up the colour zones of the face (mix primaries with base or trust wet blend), then sketch out the lighting, blue & black mixdd into the master skin tone for the shadow colour.  This is where I was after the first pass, I had to stop cause I was lifting paint like the chest:

D31CC21E-88CC-4EEE-84C9-34A28975B462.thumb.jpeg.ff3febcad4bc48ddf4bdc12bd6de488a.jpeg

I probably took the yellow light WAY to far in this first bit but it’s kinda driven the look towards someone in bright sun/warn light.  The shine here is just wet paint, in the first pics it’s the highlights trying to make him look a bit sweaty.

• Upvote 5