rllmuk
JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

On 22/06/2019 at 06:14, lewismistreated said:

Hey. Me again. Dark Souls, etc. You know the drill.

Reveal hidden contents

aZuiQZB.jpg

uxDc81J.jpg

LFX620H.jpg

NPVHs4p.jpg

M1YCB7F.jpg

t6pL29v.jpg

Kz3btE6.jpg

VsKiYNE.jpg

Happy for the most part. Four Kings were so basic and simple to complete it almost felt like cheating. I tried to strike a balance between having a textured base for them with getting that 'pitch black darkness' feel from the game in their arena.

Oh, and if it wasn't already obvious, I ordered a 1-pound bag of rocks for basing off Amazon. Because that's normal behavior now I guess.

These look incredible.

Have you ordered the Bloodborne game with minis that was on Kickstarter?

5 minutes ago, DC said:

These look incredible.

Have you ordered the Bloodborne game with minis that was on Kickstarter?

bloodborne.PNG.d77179d22a785a0df5bfa5fd622a6afb.PNG

I believe that answers your question.

Please remind me of this post in 12 months time when I'm complaining about the eight thousand Bloodborne minis I have to paint. 

I went all the way through this thread recently, and it was a genuine joy to see  everyone's skill increase throughout the years.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Mikes said:

Also, I'm looking for models for a little project. Does anyone know of any 25/30mm pirate or undead monkey models?

How many are you after? If a lot, might be cheaper to get something like Rum & Bones (includes free board game).

Oh god, not nearly that many. Like, three or five of a specific type. They look cool, but don't fit what I'm after. I found these, which could work, but I kinda need one more at least.

s-l640.jpg

Although the one on the right is a goblin, they're also undead, so a pint job could cover a lot of that up.

There are these, but they're not undead nor piratey....

60093_w_1.jpg

I need them for a stand in for a Malifaux crew to fit in with an undead pirate sheme. The actual models are like little, speedy kids, hence me looking for monkeys.  I ould use these, but they're not very small, and also I need at most three.

34119_RevenantCrewOfTheAtramentousAnd3Ri

You can get packs of three or four Rum & Bones miniatures. I painted a few pirates a year or so ago. The sculpts are great, but the quality of the actual miniatures is pretty average. They're that rubbery plastic board game minis tend to be. The detail isn't bad, and very good for board game minis, but the material brings it's own problems of unerasable mould lines and bendy swords. You might get little holes, or tgat horrible thing where the mini has been cast in two halves, and the halves don't quite line up. 

These guys seem to be undead themed - 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asmodee-ubirab05-Bones-Hero-Devil/dp/B014TNNZKK/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?keywords=Rum+and+bones&qid=1563376600&s=gateway&sr=8-4

I had another game of Malifaux last night. Really good game, lots of fun. It ended up being 4-5vps to my opponent, so really close. What it came down to in the end was me being caught out by a change to the Pale Rider.

For those who don't know, each faction has access to a 'Rider' which is basically a horseman of the apocalypse type model. Really expensive points wise, with a strange mechanic which means it's pretty weak early on, but gains tokens on each turn until it's a monster on the final to turns.

At least, that's how it was in in the last edition. There was a change which meant the monstrous stuff it could do, it could on turn 3. And with a 7" move it managed to charge right into the middle of my models and do an explode, which set everything on fire, caused irreducible damage and removed one action from each hit model, which included my master, henchman and two big beaters.

I was playing off the idea it couldn't do that until turn five, so that in simple terms, ****** me over five ways till Saturday.

Afterwards my opponent and I agreed that was way over the top, and I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't errata'd back to how it used to be.

But even with that It came down to me taking a work phone call midway through the game that gave me a nasty surprise, so my attention wasn't on the game and I missed an opportunity that I'd alreayd set up that would have swung it back to me.

But hey, we weren't playing for money.

At the end of the last turn my opponent only had two models left on the board. This is becoming common in the Sonnia lists I'm taking. I've got the murdering down, so now I just have to sort out the points scoring.

Qum1NxX.jpg

nv6ylB2.jpg

RViDOvw.jpg

GZCxMtf.jpg

lVmqICl.jpg

B1H23P5.jpg

• Upvote 4

Models are awesome, nice works as per.

Not to be a downer, but are the bases a bit much? The deep colour is so eye catching it draws quite a bit of attention away from the models.

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

Models are awesome, nice works as per.

Not to be a downer, but are the bases a bit much? The deep colour is so eye catching it draws quite a bit of attention away from the models.

Maybe. I just wanted something different from the plain grey I normally do.

Bit of painting today, going over the net on the robot blocking in the trinkets in metallics.  Except for the blue bits, not entirely sure what they’re meant to be, and the cylinders I tried to make look like coke cans (suggestion of my teacher).  So I went red with a white swish and stippled in some silver to try and make look chipped.

727161A7-025D-4AD9-9F43-C542E4A25EE2.thumb.jpeg.d21f5f1f14792ae56a8d730412fbed18.jpeg

DBF10AEC-472C-4621-BAB9-D83FD925B27D.thumb.jpeg.393f68d93a0ce2e4bc6ea18e7f59beb0.jpeg

Got the new Scale 75 artists paints so gave them a shot too on the cowboy’s chaps, belts, holsters, etc.

A little goes a long way, definitely easy to use too thick/too thin.  They feel like “real” paints rather than mini paints, which is weird cause although I’ve painted a lot on paper/canvas I’ve never painted a mini with a paint that feels like that.  Impasto isn’t a great technique in the mini world :lol:

I quite like that they use traditional names as in my head I know what burnt umber is as a colour.  Colours also have pigment ingredients on them.

9A13506F-267B-4323-8DDB-588D58C963FD.thumb.jpeg.514d43eca4f09d9d37d956497bd91b7c.jpeg

E43982A3-FE31-41D3-8DAB-89378E1855E8.thumb.jpeg.122a09060fe213cbb303984f3cdf370e.jpeg

BE8DEA80-B505-4E90-B4BC-95D308195956.thumb.jpeg.4a8cd8921392756d4cecc7e2b6f8d96e.jpeg

• Upvote 9

Polished off the rest of my Space Hulk stuff. The true Emperor - He who has four arms - will be most pleased.

Spoiler

SLdM7mS.jpg

7KCaM7a.jpg

J1utWKZ.jpg

t09hQ5f.jpg

v9SOkTT.jpg

QzHbccr.jpg

You know it's been a productive few weeks when your palette ends up looking like this:

Spoiler

QZyK8ey.jpg

• Upvote 9

They look awesome. Love the green tongues. Can you do mine next? 

(Genestealers. Not my tongue)

• Upvote 2

A new miniatures game based on the Marvel license is due out later this year. It's being released by a new company called Atomic Mass that would appear to be a sister company of FFG and made up of former Privateer Press staff. They will be made from hard plastic which makes them substantially more interesting to me than the KM superheroes so fingers crossed I'll pick up some new work from this.

https://www.beastsofwar.com/featured/atomic-mass-marvel-crisis-protocol-miniatures-game/

Marvel-Miniatures-1.jpg

• Upvote 5

I've been panting a superhero too, Swamp Thing from the Batman Miniatures Game.

ddPnJucPARpPzcLOCGVKGiy9kL4NyUsnWrHZnWL9

FOpniJ0p3XWuyhgLEObPodlFdlzxc5HZ1OlJoFWj

1XnuiHJEU_f_X7Bc3mJOELPLNHdj5fBsl7yB2Gk3

Ql39xbccns3JA5Mvz2uq7wPF2GAwvbg_HajKkoJ8

keFWzlXYwRaBkFEirAS08vRO4nyqiDwN3bGv2D4t

PtdrnkVsPzJkpt43zETSdje-Br1gO6h69kV5ULHV

It's up for the Dakkadakka monthly challenge, the voting thread is here: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/778714.page;jsessionid=43346AC0AAC55D4C3F58A6160B23D990

I'm mid-table, verdict seems to be "too green."  There's quite a bit of red in there, but it's shading the green, so I can understand the criticism.  I'm pleased with him, he came out how I wanted him to.  Swamp Thing (at least Alan Moore's version) is one of my favorite comic book characters of all time, so I needed to do him right.  :)

• Upvote 8

After a lengthy painting hiatus I'm back on the brushes! In London for a bit with nothing to do in the evenings so brought some paints over on the plane. Went to Bad Moon Cafe on Monday for the hobby night and did some painting there, really great spot although I had to use a bit of cardboard for a palette which isn't ideal.

First Gloomhaven guy done, will maybe get to play it by this time next year:

785aK6v.jpg

• Upvote 6

Yeah, that's a nice job! For future adventures in painting in cafes, have you considered bring a homebrew wet palette? When painting out of the house I just take along a crappy little plastic "finger painting tray" bought from Hobbycraft years ago, a sheet of kitchen towel and some baking paper. Just add water and bam! Functional palette. Should save you on wasted paint at least! 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Wiper said:

Yeah, that's a nice job! For future adventures in painting in cafes, have you considered bring a homebrew wet palette? When painting out of the house I just take along a crappy little plastic "finger painting tray" bought from Hobbycraft years ago, a sheet of kitchen towel and some baking paper. Just add water and bam! Functional palette. Should save you on wasted paint at least! 

Good shout, will keep that in mind if I venture out again!