JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

That’s great. I could really fancying trying my hand at painting busts like that as I think ‘normal’ sized GW models are just too small for my old eyes. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of suppliers and further information? 

26 minutes ago, bridger said:

That’s great. I could really fancying trying my hand at painting busts like that as I think ‘normal’ sized GW models are just too small for my old eyes. 

Can anyone point me in the direction of suppliers and further information? 

That bust is from Karol Rudyk http://karolrudykart.com/ 

I’ve got others (awaiting paint) from

https://www.blackcrowminiatures.com/store

https://www.bansheeartshop.com/buy

You could also try bigger scale stuff, Black Sun had some interesting stuff, they’ve revamped their range since I bought things.

https://www.blacksunminiatures.co.uk/product-category/shop/

If you’re on fb check out the Bust@ group.

• Upvote 1

@The Bag Amazing painting, shows what you can do when applying what's usually held out to be a simpler technique (dry brushing) at an advanced level. The model is great too, makes me want a Kain model!

@Cocky Love the freehand, I was looking on your website the other day and saw the GW ginger dwarf guys, the tattoos blew my mind.

@Mikes Those Rackham models are great, saw a load of them in a shop in France last year, should have picked up a few. Great contrast, are you using Nuln or painting thin black in the recesses? I never go far enough towards white with my highlights.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Kzo said:

@Mikes Those Rackham models are great, saw a load of them in a shop in France last year, should have picked up a few. Great contrast, are you using Nuln or painting thin black in the recesses? I never go far enough towards white with my highlights.

You really should have. I love them, and it's hard not to spend hours on a single section trying to do it justice.  I see posts of people who go to belgium ro France and find huge bins of still sealed minis in shops and I'm jealous as hell. Although my FLGS just messaged me to say he had a local supplier who found a load of them, ao I'm heading in after work to see what he has.

The shading is mainly done ising increasing amounts of Agrax in the base mix to tone it down, switching to Nuln at the deapest recesses. Although when I do do blick lining (like on Infiniy minis) I do use Nuln Oil rather than lack paint. It takes a couple of passes, but it's much easier to clean to clean up if you slip.

And i know what you emean on highlights. That's something Im consciously trying to overcome. I find I don't leave enough room to shift up highlights, but that's just habit.

• Upvote 1

in what is exciting news for me, i got accepted into the Creature Caster partnership program. so will be doing lots of demons and shiz, with giveaways and such this year.

• Upvote 9

So. Greebo have launched a kickstarter for cute blood bowl teams. They’re glorious and I want all of them. Especially the Nurgle Rabbits. 

Someone one the Infinity Australia facebook page was talking about the new Haqqislam sectoral army and posted a picture of Patrick Stewart from Dune and long story short, I'm not planning a Fremen-themed Haqqislam force.

They're going to be so tiny, i'm not sure i've the patience to paint a whole team of tiny fiddly guys again after those 25 mm dwarves I did.

I'm struggling with my elf team at the mo, some BB teams get a bit monotonous when its 12 almost identical guys. 

That said the squirrel is totally boss. 

On 13/03/2019 at 10:56, Mikes said:

Someone one the Infinity Australia facebook page was talking about the new Haqqislam sectoral army and posted a picture of Patrick Stewart from Dune and long story short, I'm not planning a Fremen-themed Haqqislam force.

OK, someone very kindly put a small list together for me, so this is a go!

These are the two pictures I'm going to be basing my approach off.

Dune_Sardaukar_MarkMolnar.jpg

sardaukar_by_haco1-db0j3y9.jpg

My plan is to zenthial higlight white from a black base and and wash Black Grey over the armour to get a highlight dark grey look, keeping the edge highlighint to a minimum to avoid it looking too manga-y. The cloaks.... I'm not too sure about. Somethng dark and dusty brown.  Any suggestions?

First game of Confrontation last night was a hell of a lot of fun. Nothing better than playing a game that's been out of print for over ten years ;)

My opponant was an old hand and did a great job of showing me the ropes. he brought Griffins against my wolfen, and it's great to play against someone who takes painted minis as seriously as you do.

The mission was to quadrants of the table, but that didn't come into it, instead it was all down to melee. on paper, I should have had that down, as Wolfen as just scary as even though I was outnumbered, but after a quick victory of me quickly finishing off his second scariest model in one round, his leader came in and freakishly rolled 4 double sixes in each of his consequetive combats which is an auto kill. When I only had six models to begin with.... yah.

He was super apologetic, and admited he was trying to let me win (always rule one on  demo game - lett he newbie win), but his dice wouldn't let him.

Despite that it was super fun. We took no magic by design, focusing on moving, combat and shooting, and i reckon I have a grip on it enough to play that on my own now. Next time I'll take a magician and see how that goes.

Also, there was a guy in the store as we played who hung around to watch and it turns out he just picked up some modelsfor the game too after seeing my posts on various social media pages with my painting for my wolfen :D Pretty random. But I got his name and we agreed to meet up ourselves when he had them painted.

fLXdPqq.jpg

nuxMyDB.jpg

PwMd02J.jpg

5QWuI3h.jpg

4prYT7a.jpg

4VNcvJ4.jpg

bjeROdG.jpg

D60wJyV.jpg

a5ZRCZ2.jpg

325pzzo.jpg

LzBzqRC.jpg

EDKSWBD.jpg

• Upvote 7

@Mikes

the fremen idea sounds great. 

In the books they have cloaks they make them invisible in the desert so it would be a dusty sandy colour over black stillsuits. 

I think those pictures look great but are maybe too dark. But then that’s just me. 

I love dune, it might be my favourite book, I’ve read it at least 5 times. 

• Upvote 1

On 14/03/2019 at 06:01, Mikes said:

My plan is to zenthial higlight white from a black base and and wash Black Grey over the armour to get a highlight dark grey look, keeping the edge highlighint to a minimum to avoid it looking too manga-y. The cloaks.... I'm not too sure about. Somethng dark and dusty brown.  Any suggestions?

Vallejo Model Colour has a great selection for deserty/dusty stuff. VMC Buff is one of my favourite paints.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, And said:

@Mikes

the fremen idea sounds great. 

In the books they have cloaks they make them invisible in the desert so it would be a dusty sandy colour over black stillsuits. 

I think those pictures look great but are maybe too dark. But then that’s just me. 

I love dune, it might be my favourite book, I’ve read it at least 5 times. 

From memory I read it as the cloaks hit them and I took it to mean like thermal hiding like the Predator. I did read it years ago, though. Jus picked up the audiobook ready for the new film.

I reckon I'll go with something dark for the cloaks though. Partly I think the images above are too badass not to, partly becasuse most of the models that have 'cloaks' are actually leather jackets, and making them look dusty cloth would be too hard.

Most don't though, so click still suits it is!

32 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Vallejo Model Colour has a great selection for deserty/dusty stuff. VMC Buff is one of my favourite paints.

Cool, thank you. I think that's the Panzer Aces stuff which I haven't really looked at.