JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

I drilled out the arms of these and inserted magnets to reattach them. When GW get around to releasing sprues of alternative weapons I will be able to swap them out. This magnetisation thing is one of the most satisfying modeling bits I have done in an age. Every time I pull off an arm and put it back it makes me smile. Simple things I know but :).

IMG_20181014_180318.jpg

• Upvote 6

Rought and ready Aleph force, ready to put on the table.

44146148_10155513871742047_2242496888752

Had to stop myself tidying things up. My paint queue is rdiculous, so this is will do.

• Upvote 7

On 29/09/2018 at 11:44, Cocky said:

But really, the shift over the years, at least at the top level and in my own painting,  has been away from thin layers/glazing and towards using thick paint. I've been watching Sergio Calvo's videos on patreon and he uses a very simple technique of layering up from a dark basecolour. It's pretty easy and surprisingly quick to paint this way. I also like how easy it is to change the overall quality of the finish by varying the number of intermediary colours.

Googled that guy, holy shit:

Yeah, that's a genuinely stunning piece. Love the way it's the colours are not blended smoothly, but in a much more 'painterly' kind of way, which I think makes the thing arguably more realistic (inasmuch as it can do of course!). Whilst I can appreciate the technical know-how going on with how someone can achieve those perfect blends, I just don't like the effect as much as something like this.

It’s an outstanding piece.  I’ve got that mini on my backlog to paint, after seeing than earlier in FB I’ve shuffled it back down the queue.

59 minutes ago, JoeK said:

Yeah, that's a genuinely stunning piece. Love the way it's the colours are not blended smoothly, but in a much more 'painterly' kind of way, which I think makes the thing arguably more realistic (inasmuch as it can do of course!). Whilst I can appreciate the technical know-how going on with how someone can achieve those perfect blends, I just don't like the effect as much as something like this.

Speaking of painterly, have you seen Banshee’s Patreon?  His first couple of videos painting the ogre bust are great.  There’s an interesting bit near the end where he photographs the bust with his phone so he can zoom in and look at bits.  He makes the point it looks like a traditional painting when looked at like that, which is what he’s going for (and that it can be smoothed and refined into a more tradional mini look from there).  And he’s right looking at it up close so it fills the phone screen does look like looking at a piece of concept art, or oil painting.

F12A3985-5113-47C3-95A1-9CB284F3A9A3.thumb.jpeg.78d8279c127e53d217a8cc1152ce6bec.jpeg

#fucksmoothness (although I’d like to be able to do it too).

3 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

That's ridiculous.   

Totally useless scale..

Just think of it like the larger enemy types you fight in an Assassin's Creed game and you'll be fine ;)

well ive got my first miniature commision. painting a Valdor Tank Hunter for one of my twitch subscribers. he's pretty keen on a big commission after this too......a Thunderhawk (!)

• Upvote 2