JoeK

The Miniatures Appreciation Thread

Feel free to bin this idea, but I thought instead of the usual place to bung all info about figures and painting etc in the GW thread, it might be a good idea to throw up a new thread showing off other manufacturers' figures. There are bloody loads of them out there, and unless you tend to faff about in the hobby on a regular basis, the chances are you might not get to see all the cool stuff which is out there.

So, if anyone has found something unbelievably cool from someone other than GW, please let me and the other good folk of RLLMUK know!

This little lady has become my first mini purchase of 2011 -

bunny_girl1.jpg

bunny_girl2.jpg

bunny_girl3.jpg

Made by a chap called poupee canope (well, Emanuele to his friends...). No web-site, nor a store who sells his stuff. He does this stuff in his free-time, so sculpts around four or five figures a year. He's an incredibly talented chap though, and always does something cool.

Over to you.

Of course, modesty prevents me from hawking my own stuff obviously...

• Upvote 1

The Avatars of War stuff is pretty cool.

Yeah. Don't like all of 'em, but there are a fair few which are great - especially like the barbarian chap.

On another note, Andreas miniatures are always great. The main chap who sculpts for them - his tag's Freeman - is absolutely my favorite sculptor ever. The stuff he can do with putty is astonishing.

img4b79b9cea751a.jpg

and this (my fave model ever):

Coolmini.jpg

• Upvote 5

For the sake of my bank balance I think I'll avoid this thread in future. Though since I have some overtime pay this month I might pick up some of the rereleased Hell Dorado stuff. I'm not keen on the demons but the humans are mostly cool.

post-1047-006129900 1298507203_thumb.jpgpost-1047-003161500 1298507256_thumb.jpg

I love the idea of showing off the rarer gems we've found and spreading the word about smaller companies and new sculptors, but aren't we better off renaming the GW thread? It could become 'The Miniatures Appreciation Thread: GW, Warmachine, Joek :) or whoever post your little folk here!' - I think it'll get more traffic, and provided we label/link our boutique purchases properly can still champion the underdogs :)

-personally I have a ton of other mini's and old citadel/marauder figs I'd love to start posting, but I need to make the time to paint them first... :(

Studio McVey is stupidly good, both at painting and sculpting.

Well, they pay vast sums to get absolutely the top sculptors in the game that's for sure. Wonderful figures, and I have a few of them but I don't think I'll ever get 'round to painting them. Every time I look at 'em they scare me with the amount of detail they have on them!

In other news, I must just put a shout out to Andrew Rae's Statuesque Miniatures. He's a really great up and coming sculptor, but the first lot he's put out on sale are just lovely. I'm busy painting one up at the moment.

Havana.jpg

Mei-Lin.jpg

Wonderful figures, and I have a few of them but I don't think I'll ever get 'round to painting them. Every time I look at 'em they scare me with the amount of detail they have on them!

:lol:

I have at least one of everything Mike's put out assembled and waiting on my painting table. Haven't even dared undercoat any of them yet.

:lol:

I have at least one of everything Mike's put out assembled and waiting on my painting table. Haven't even dared undercoat any of them yet.

Let's face it - they aren't cheap, and I really don't want to ruin the bloody things. I'm a terribly lazy person - if I screw up a figure, I tend to throw it in the box, and get on with something else. This would be most upsetting for the Mcvey ones :P

In other news, I've started to paint up the Statuesque figure - lovely thing to paint. Nice and simple :D

DSC03005.jpg

I think it's time Mantic games got a mention. Unlike the other manufacturers in this topic they produce figures for large scale fantasy games. So the quality hasn't always been the best but the price of the plastics is more than reasonable especially if you are buying in bulk. That said the quality is getting better with each release and today they previewed one of the new orcs which I think is pretty sweet.

post-1047-085148200 1300388940_thumb.jpe

There's a lot of talk about painting miniatures in the GW thread, but that tends to be GW-oriented (for some reason ;) ) - I don't see any reason not to talk about it in here if you'd rather focus on painting other companies' models!

(we're so going to end up with a dedicated 'painting' topic now, aren't we? :D )

I'm amazed we haven't been given a whole sub-forum to ourselves yet.

It's the webman keeping us down man!

:D

I think this should be used for our painted gems too really. Don't know quite how many folk are still painting merrily away - aside from Cocky and Wiper - but the more folk bunging them up here the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

And in the spirit of giving I'll show you where I've got to with my wee Bunny girl...

DSC03139.jpg

• Upvote 3

Cool, i'm going to make an effort to take some photos over the coming week. I've just bought a metal Cygnar battle box, so going to be sorting those out. Plus i've got the chance to paint one of those Citadel Realm of Battle Boards. The thing is chuffing massive. I may cheat and just flock the whole thing! Gnnn

I'm still painting but like I've said before the process to get any photos from my camera to my pc is so laborious at the moment (really must get myself windows 7 and ditch this XP64 nonsense) that I just don't have the energy to do it.

Some of it did look pretty nice though... until I got angry during a game once... now I need to do a fair bit of touching up... :facepalm:

I think it's time Mantic games got a mention. Unlike the other manufacturers in this topic they produce figures for large scale fantasy games. So the quality hasn't always been the best but the price of the plastics is more than reasonable especially if you are buying in bulk. That said the quality is getting better with each release and today they previewed one of the new orcs which I think is pretty sweet. post-1047-085148200 1300388940_thumb.jpe

I picked up some Mantic dwarves and undead the other day (from Dark Sphere -my local independent. They and Orc's Nest are the best mini shops in central london). The skeletons are great! The dwarves are just.. odd. Both kits suffer from a lack of flexibility - they aren't multipart enough and there isn't enough variety in the pieces - I buy plastics for kitbashing and generally mucking about with and they were a bit disappointing in that regard. No denying their cheapness though, and I'm looking forward to seeing their humans.

Speaking of looking forward who here is going to Salute ? Only two weeks away now :)

Speaking of looking forward who here is going to Salute ? Only two weeks away now :)

I used go to Salute every year, and work on the bring and buy stand, which was run my by local games group (SELWG) it was brilliant chaotic fun, and you could snaffle bargains as they came in. Oh and you got free entry to the show. I'd end up spending a massive amount of money on tat! :D

I'd probably be up for going along actually. I'll drop you a PM ol' bean

I still haven't decided about Salute this year - I spent about £400 last year, and still haven't painted everything, plus have friends coming over from Spain for the weekend. Might make more sense to skip it this time around. Which is a shame, considering it's not that far from here.

For those going, if you're looking for something new check out Critical Mass Games' 15mm sci-fi range - they're doing their own set of rules, but there are also stat cards for the new Gruntz 15mm rules (which will be on demo there). Gruntz bears some mechanical similarities to Warmachine, but is definitely its own game - and a good one too. The beta rules and stat cards are available free via the Yahoo Group.

Speaking of Salute -

I'll be there in a 'proper trading facility'!! Well, a table with a few figures on :) . I'm gonna be there with another small company called BNS Miniatures who make resin plinths. I'll be at stand TD02, which seems to be:

Enter the hall

Turn left and walk down a bit.

Wave at me and my pitiful amount of figures :P

I'll hopefully have a clutch of things to sell, along with a sneak preview of the new figure too!

If you do go to Salute, please pop over and say hi. I won't even pressure you to buy anything...just nice to see (semi) familiar faces!

FUCK YOU GAMES WORKSHOP YOU SHIT SHOVELLING FUCKING CADRE OF CUNTERY!

I've dug out my old Citadel paints, which have been stored away for a couple of years.

With only a few exceptions they have either dried up totally or become an unusable paste. Before you say 'well they've not been used for a few years', the Vallejo paints I have are all 100% fine, no different from the day I put them away. Back in the day I had Citadel paints that lasted me years & years.

Based on a quick calculation; it's well over £100 to replace the fucked paints at GW. They can get to fuck, I'm not spending another penny with those cunts. I'm going to look elsewhere/online for my paints (recommendations appreciated!).

I'm proper fucked off as I was in the mood and all set for some painting and now I can do fuck all.

[/rant]