IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Insane work as ever. 

I agree about finishing a model being a kind of skill. I’m…not very good at it, if my pile of 90% finished minis is anything to go by. But I find tackling the base at a fairly early stage really helps. It gives the illusion of a finished mini, and helps me push on.

• 2 weeks later...

Almost three months since I've picked up a brush - longest period I've gone without painting for a decade I think. Been really difficult to get the motivation to paint, despite a worklist as long as my sodding arm (thankfully, I have very obliging clients...). 

But, today was the day and I'm busy painting up something very random but decent enough to iron out kinks...admittedly, some kinks will always remain, but that's just the way I paint :P

301482328_3244856799165408_1314030560526042493_n.thumb.jpg.09df6d232aad8eebaa46a67e2dcff422.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have dusted off my paint brushes and started painting toy soldiers again. I began with Thanos, and apparently Thanos Jr. in the form of Luke Cage.

289932604_917173573010512_2627633769131122520_n.thumb.jpg.452edf8caeff72a91ccd522b4a74f95f.jpg

Definitely at the "alright, tabletop" end of the scale, but I had great fun, and I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The plan is to paint the Infinity Stones next week when I have the Infinity Stone coloured paints.

They look great, particularly Thanos. The highlighting on his blue undersuit is very nice.  If you want to make the yellow armour pop a bit more, you could add a bright edge highlight to a few key areas like round his neck, and round the outer edge of that whole panel.

I can give you a nice method for the gems if you like, but it requires a tiny brush and a fairly steady hand.  :)

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I can give you a nice method for the gems if you like, but it requires a tiny brush and a fairly steady hand.  :)

I think I'll probably fail on the steady hand bit - but thank you anyway. I think for the moment I'm just content to experiment and rediscover my skills - I actually used to be pretty good back in the WarMachine days, but it's all rusty as hell now. Really enjoying MCP, though!

I'm dismayed to discover that heroforge's steel printing option was a victim of Covid disruption, and I can't quite bring myself to spring for the bronze option.

I'm thinking about purchasing the STL file and shopping it out to one of the metal 3D printing services that Google turns up.

Does anyone have experience of such services, any ideas about cost for a typical miniature?

10 hours ago, ryanm said:

I'm dismayed to discover that heroforge's steel printing option was a victim of Covid disruption, and I can't quite bring myself to spring for the bronze option.

I'm thinking about purchasing the STL file and shopping it out to one of the metal 3D printing services that Google turns up.

Does anyone have experience of such services, any ideas about cost for a typical miniature?

No, (and I appreciate this is not really answering) but I bought from them using the hard plastic option a while back. I was quite pleased with the quality of that. Glueing a 2p coin to the base gave it some heft too.

I am away at the moment, but when I get back I will look out a photo for you.

Cheers for that! Unfortunately I'm not a patient man. Some further googling suggested that Shapeways are partnered with heroforge and so were probably used to this sort of thing. I purchased the STL, uploaded it to shapeways, and the wee hefty lad is in production.