IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

26 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Very interesting, thank you. I think most of us paint in a bit of a vacuum with only YouTube (and this thread) for company, so an actual lesson must be quite empowering.

Yeah, my community it this thread really so it's nice to meet other people in real life who are also doing this thing.  There was 20 people in the class, I'd met about half of them before at previous weekends, but everyone's friendly and easy to talk to - especially as there's the easy obvious subjects of the class and painting :lol:.  There's a bit of a social side to it too, people meet for drinks on the Friday night I skipped that as I'd been more social that week than any in the previous 2.5 years.  Saturday night we all went to the pub for dinner, again optional but everyone went, then on Sunday Tim (organiser), Alfonso, myself and another participant went for a curry as we were the only ones left in St Albans.

What was surprising was the 5 or 6 people there who had only taken up painting in the last year or two during covid.

I do regular lessons with Myles over skype (paid for via patreon - lots of them offering them out there) because it helps me improve but also it makes me do at least some painting regularly, left to my own devices I could very easily not do any for an age cause I'm great at not doing stuff I enjoy.

Oddly one of the other guys there was on of the leads on the Pix tool at MS at the same time I was at Lionhead so we have a bunch of friends and acquaintances in common as he knows a bunch of the LH engine & tech coders.

I've been interested in painting courses for a while, partly from the opposite side, as a tutor, as we do courses. I want to sit in and assist on some before I actually teach one, though.  I don't know if my knowledge is broad enough to handle the questions you might get!  Rather than painting a full mini, I think ours focus on a specific thing, such as swords or faces.  

The problem might be that I tend not to stick to a tried and tested method that I can pass on to others. Sometimes it feels like I approach each project differently and everything feels like a hail mary pass that could go very wrong.  I tried a dozen wildly different methods on test models for how to paint that gold Primaris Captain before settling on a method one of the guys from the studio, Matt Kennedy, told me. So perhaps if you're interested in a course from Siege, look for one of Matt's.

57 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

The problem might be that I tend not to stick to a tried and tested method that I can pass on to others. Sometimes it feels like I approach each project differently and everything feels like a hail mary pass that could go very wrong.  

Yeah, this is something even I've experienced - my gf recently expressed an interest in trying her hand at it, so I walked her through my general method for painting Nighthaunt, and we painted some together, but even though I'd recently documented the process I'd forgotten all the times I'd made improvised adjustments on the fly, and this was hard to get across.

She's much more artistic than I am generally though, so she still kinda smashed it for her first attempt. Her hands don't shake and she has perfect eyesight, which I say is cheating! 

What was your gold recipe in the end btw? I've found a new one I quite like - Nazdreg Yellow over a very bright silver. Gives a very rich, saturated gold, or at least I think it does.

A852BEB5-3DD9-42AF-ADCB-357402BCE6B7.thumb.jpeg.8df67fe5ee1c41ca545b59f864a56fb0.jpeg

4D03C7AA-BF3D-446B-8D2E-43C24ACAE29C.thumb.jpeg.2e544bbcd4b8aeec33730587ad4ba552.jpeg

Also regarding large palletes, the larger your ramp between colour a and colour b, the easier it is to pick out and draw specific ranges to paint from. A ramp thats 10 inch long you could pick out 20 different skin hues, one thats 2inches to fit on a small store bought pallete youll be lucky to get 4 usable. Fine for 32mm figure, but busts and big monsters or nude figures, its not ideally enough.

Richard Grey (AKA Daemon Rich) has posted this video of how he painted the NMM gold armour on the Rogal Dorn model that was on display at the Horus Heresy Weekender recently.

Got some work in on this over the weekend.  Trying to make the border look like threads

6F1E0EC0-57CA-46E4-9704-37F4BDB36E65.thumb.jpeg.e478248e7676895df9c1bb502ccc83d5.jpeg

working on the turtle skin (why does that sound so dodgy)

02CC66E7-2C72-46A8-9D04-557F293A27C1.thumb.jpeg.3945acb310c42f2f8aa50b2601ae52dc.jpeg

Started trying to make this thing look like crackle glazed pottery, then realised it’s meant to be a gourd :facepalm:

CBDA3E6F-DC48-4EF2-8B4B-9CFBD87B337A.thumb.jpeg.fd0356c7058fc303002a06a920d0b4c4.jpeg

Deadwalker Zombie WIP's

IMG_20220602_152439.thumb.jpg.fa7c2b4d1b63191a061a7345a40cac6c.jpg

Tried a heavy drybrush of grey and white over a black basecoat and then contrast paints to see if I could speed things up. Very mixed results in the deeply shadowed or obscured areas where the drybrush can't get to.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, the wight looks really great with the additional highlights that I added when they were dry. ! :) I can definitely see my improvements as I finish an enemy group and move on to the next, I ordered another bunch of colours today just to build on my collection a little (much to the dismay of @Nathan Wind)

I have a bunch of minis that came with Tainted Grail, if I'm not mistaken, there is very little use to the minis for that game other than to denote enemy placemnt on the cards, I think I'll get them all primed and just experiment heavily on them for some practice with colour theory and using my imagination rather than following concept art without fear of ruining a really great board game!

Finished the Zealots (teal dudes), and then after much procrastinating, the Berserkers, as they were similar to the Blood Witches which I hated doing. Think it’s just the player characters and two more enemy groups to go and Descent is fully painted. Wheeee! 

E8A4E476-5CCA-4714-8AA2-FE9610A53868.jpeg

2A184D77-7ADD-4360-A39F-6F62CC4C7D83.jpeg

Started with the player characters, Brynn - the helmed lady, Galaden with the bow, and Syrus with the flaming phoenix (not overly happy with the fire, but will be fine for board game and was a learning experience) First time for human type characters, everything else I have ever done has been monstery. Getting the eyes white, plus the iris, plus the pupil in these tiny little sockets is a nerve wracking and shaky hand inducing experience 😅 

958D9F31-D86C-46E4-9432-55B0BF23CCCB.jpeg

5A42425F-2B05-4F2A-8C93-0EBCC31F685E.jpeg

4C14D90B-B5AA-4121-B1DE-4C489F475E54.jpeg

11 hours ago, Butters said:

Those look amazing @Cocky!

What game are the minis from (particularly the middle picture)?

All of the models are from infinity by corvus belli.

10 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Just astonishing work @Cocky. I think you have a very recognisable style as well - I'd be able to instantly identify your work, whereas so many others are indistinguishable from the next guy's.

Thanks. I did have the idea of getting a box of beakie marines and doing the legions with each one being in a different style but I made the mistake of getting civ 6 for the switch and don't have much time to paint stuff for myself.

• 2 weeks later...

So, big news for Warmachine, but probably the industry in general:

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/07/26/warmachine-big-news/

Short version - PP are going full 3d print mode.

The article does well in explaining why. Basically metal is way too cost inneficent now, and large plastic/resin print runs are a financial gamble. Print on demand allows them to fill orders quickly and save on transport. I think this is the way the indstry is going, so a bigger player heading hat way first is a sign of the times,

7 hours ago, Mikes said:

So, big news for Warmachine, but probably the industry in general:

https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/07/26/warmachine-big-news/

Short version - PP are going full 3d print mode.

The article does well in explaining why. Basically metal is way too cost inneficent now, and large plastic/resin print runs are a financial gamble. Print on demand allows them to fill orders quickly and save on transport. I think this is the way the indstry is going, so a bigger player heading hat way first is a sign of the times,

I guess it makes sense - these are some gigantic changes and PP needed to make them as their fall from grace was absolutely meteoric. I stopped playing in 2nd Edition when they moved to that absolutely awful PVC/Resin/Whatever it was plastic stuff that resisted any effort to clean it up or sort out mould lines (as well as being horseshit at holding detail), but I have been watching with some grim interest.

Getting rid of the pressgangers, disengaging from their community by closing their forums, the pretty rough launch of 3rd Edition - and of course GW sort of getting their act together a little bit around the same time - essentially caused the game to evaporate locally like morning dew. Friends who did the hardcore tournaments took a little longer to drift away but they all did in the end. Added to that they never really managed to solve the fact that the titular Warmachines were usually one of the poorer options to take on the battlefield anyway.

While the while Legacy/Prime thing has been a long time coming as their faction lineups have become hugely over-bloated, I wonder whether this whole "all new!" thing is to do with their moulds being held hostage in China. I hadn't heard that had been resolved, but I might just be out of the loop.

edit - $200 for a 50 point Starter Box? The smallest officially recognised force size? DOA.

10 hours ago, Lying Cat said:

$200 for a 50 point Starter Box? The smallest officially recognised force size? DOA.

That's about expected for WM. I did used to laugh at people who used ot say "I'm tired of GW prices. I'm going to play Warmachine!".

Also, beta rules dropped: https://home.privateerpress.com/2022/07/27/mkiv-beta-rules-and-change-comparison/

Cautiously optimistic.  I appreciate the streamlining. It feels like Mkiii was heading this way but did it half arsed. And now I've seen the options for jack customisation in action I'm excited by the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

@The Baglearning how to finish a model is just as important as developing brush control and color knowledge. It's something that have worked on to the point I can't remember the last time I didn't finish a model out of over 1,000 I have painted in recent years. I would say that it's my best and most useful skill that I have and it kept me going over these last couple of months when I had to grind out several difficult commissions (I fucking swear some of my clients send me only the difficult models and paint the rest themselves or use a cheaper painter).

It's also useful when I decide to paint a big bastard of a model with fancy nmm armour and have only a little bit of time each day to work on it. Progress can seem slow at first, but I know as long as I keep going and work through the process it'll be finished eventually.

CA500s.thumb.JPG.11b9dba7cf22c9264181d94ee6789f27.JPG