IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

Wowzers! Thats almost exactly what i had i my head. :wub: You are truly talented.

Now could you use those paint transitions and apply them to any model and any colour range? Not just the wonderful shades of white into grey/blue seen above?

On 24/12/2021 at 20:02, Curtis said:

Wowzers! Thats almost exactly what i had i my head. :wub: You are truly talented.

Now could you use those paint transitions and apply them to any model and any colour range? Not just the wonderful shades of white into grey/blue seen above?

One thing about this model which I didn't think about when I posted the image is that it's costume is all the same color which is why it was necessary to create an exaggerated focal contrast. If you are painting models with different colored clothing/armor etc you want to focus more on the value structure of the midtones. You might find it useful to use black and white comics as references for how light and dark different parts need to be to create enough contrast over the model.

I’ve not painted a mini in over 20 years. And those was my first for over a decade. 

I’ve been collecting stuff and preparing for about a decade. Today I built five models. Tonight I’m going to prime them. Then I’m going to try to paint them over the next few weeks. Wish me luck. 

22 hours ago, Sardan said:

I’m after some cheap (but not terrible brushes). What are a good recommendation for priming, varnishing etc.?

Rosemary and co brushes are probably the best affordable brushes. I use a size 2 series 99 brush for almost everything and they cost less than three pounds which is cheap enough that you can buy a several at a time. I work with two brushes at a time, my good brush for precise work and a dirty brush, identified with a piece of masking tape on the handle,  for mixing paint and all those other things that can damage the bristles. 

3 hours ago, Cocky said:

Rosemary and co brushes are probably the best affordable brushes. I use a size 2 series 99 brush for almost everything and they cost less than three pounds which is cheap enough that you can buy a several at a time. I work with two brushes at a time, my good brush for precise work and a dirty brush, identified with a piece of masking tape on the handle,  for mixing paint and all those other things that can damage the bristles. 

Thanks. I am aware of Rosemary & Co but most of the recommendations I have seen have been for the series 22 or 33. I'll check out the 99s.*

If they are good enough for you they’ll be great for me. I doubt I’ll ever reach your standard!

I cleaned up some more miniatures to use as test pieces and primed them. Then I cleaned and built a couple of ogres/trolls but haven’t had a chance to prime them yet. 

* edit looks like the 22s and 33s are kolinsky sable but the 99s are red sable so more affordable. I’ve ordered three of the 99s. 

1 hour ago, Sardan said:

Thanks. I am aware of Rosemary & Co but most of the recommendations I have seen have been for the series 22 or 33. I'll check out the 99s.*

If they are good enough for you they’ll be great for me. I doubt I’ll ever reach your standard!

I cleaned up some more miniatures to use as test pieces and primed them. Then I cleaned and built a couple of ogres/trolls but haven’t had a chance to prime them yet. 

* edit looks like the 22s and 33s are kolinsky sable but the 99s are red sable so more affordable. I’ve ordered three of the 99s. 

There's an import ban on kolinsky sable brushes in the US or at least R&C won't deliver them here. Also, I've had too many bad experiences buying the expensive brushes, like winsor and newton series 7 brushes literally falling apart after a week of use, that I'd rather buy the cheaper red sable. They're still better than the synthetics I used to use and because they are so cheap I don't worry about damaging the brush by loading the paint past the ferrule which is how I like to paint. The important thing is to prevent the paint from drying on the brush and thorough cleaning during the painting session and at the end. They won't last as long as the series 33 but you'll get your money's worth.

On 01/01/2022 at 00:20, Sardan said:

I’m after some cheap (but not terrible brushes). What are a good recommendation for priming, varnishing etc.?

Sam Lenz recommended using el cheapo synthetic brushes with decent tips for the majority of brush work and something a bit more pricey just for fine details. Ive followed his advice and am very happy and much more wealthy because of it.

I got these for the base coats: https://www.officeworks.com.au/shop/officeworks/p/born-taklon-paintbrush-large-flat-6-pack-boa109770?istCompanyId=0403b0ba-0671-498f-aeb7-e2ff71b61924&istFeedId=00ff5695-1f12-4ff3-82f4-49dd39a43a69&istItemId=iraptqapi&istBid=t&cm_mmc=Google:SEM:Always_on:RP|Office|Art+Supplies||Born|||SH||Supplier&s_kwcid=AL!12073!3!498504090670!!!g!859866621074!s_kwcid=AL!12073!3!498504090670!!!g!859866621074!&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlMCOBhCZARIsANLid6aTeL19dlqvYBDnq-pJDCqF1oVu8yRE4bxDBEJTavS_B9OWTJYrrOcaAsO7EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

And use my existing brushes for details, which are a combination of Winsor and Newton, Da Vinci, Raphael, and Rosemary and Co. Of them, I think Do Vinci and Raphael give the best bang for buck. Great quality, great price. The W&N brushes are better quality, but at a  higher price point.

On 01/01/2022 at 16:19, Cocky said:

There's an import ban on kolinsky sable brushes in the US or at least R&C won't deliver them here. Also, I've had too many bad experiences buying the expensive brushes, like winsor and newton series 7 brushes literally falling apart after a week of use, that I'd rather buy the cheaper red sable. They're still better than the synthetics I used to use and because they are so cheap I don't worry about damaging the brush by loading the paint past the ferrule which is how I like to paint. The important thing is to prevent the paint from drying on the brush and thorough cleaning during the painting session and at the end. They won't last as long as the series 33 but you'll get your money's worth.

Just put in my annual R&Co brush order, and have picked up some of those Red Sable ones you mentioned :) . Be interesting to see how they compare to the Sable Blend 401s I tend to use. I've found those ones to be far more reliable than the Kolinsky ones too - probably because I think I kind of have a similar way brush use to you (namely, I have no truck with brush maintenance whatsoever - life's far too short for that sort of thing. It boggles the mind that people can sometime have the same brush for years on end...).

Nothing gets me more in the mood for painting than new brushes... 

On 24/12/2021 at 22:29, Cocky said:

Here's something I've done. It's not really monochromatic as it's really hard to paint that way at least for me. I find it easier to paint the impression of something rather than paint it directly.

Moon+knight+10.JPG?format=750w

Moon+knight+11.JPG?format=750w

Moon+knight+12.JPG?format=750w

Moon+knight+13.JPG?format=750w

Pos for Moon Knight.

My mate got me a box of grey knights oldish-hammer. I don’t particularly care for the models, and the plastic casting is not as good as the new stuff. But the sprues have so many random bits on them that are ripe for conversion so I’m happy either way. I knocked one up and did a quick dirty job on it for posterity and to make him happy

Pretty happy with it, I feel like there’s only so much you can do with steel-colored armor

edit: forgot to finish the gun lmao

682D9271-C887-4431-9E30-5C540AA37715.jpeg

D44FAD6A-51D9-44F8-B343-FB319AA7AC54.jpeg

3C260D79-B00A-4C57-9DA8-D12C76A78C99.jpeg

I like that! The eye lenses look especially good.

I’ve been rather unwell for the last week (tests say negative, but I’m still feeling like it must be Covid), so I’ve not had the same focus I’d had just before Christmas when I was organising my minis and getting them up on eBay (13 are currently live, 4 have sold, which pleased and surprised me). 

So instead I’ve just been picking up whatever I felt like messing with, and not stressing about finishing anything. Ironically it meant I finished this guy, and have sort of accidentally dipped my toe into a vague attempt at Non Metallic Metal. I was going for a cold, almost monochrome look, and I ended up shading and highlighting the metal elements using non/metallic paints. 

8CDA4757-7931-42DB-A41D-1A9EAB533524.thumb.jpeg.d8e8339918f542e37b1296bb47db700e.jpeg

I glazed some pinks and turquoise here and there but I think I can see the beginnings of how I would darken certain areas and contrast with bright white (eg the sword hilt with the ball ends) to sell the metallic shine more.

Anyway, most therapeutic. :)

1 hour ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Thanks dude. I think I paint more fun/experimental stuff when I don’t follow guides and just splosh it on :lol:

Wish I was on the level of you or some of the other guys in here, I hide my poor skill level with forgiving techniques

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I like that! The eye lenses look especially good.

I’ve been rather unwell for the last week (tests say negative, but I’m still feeling like it must be Covid), so I’ve not had the same focus I’d had just before Christmas when I was organising my minis and getting them up on eBay (13 are currently live, 4 have sold, which pleased and surprised me). 

So instead I’ve just been picking up whatever I felt like messing with, and not stressing about finishing anything. Ironically it meant I finished this guy, and have sort of accidentally dipped my toe into a vague attempt at Non Metallic Metal. I was going for a cold, almost monochrome look, and I ended up shading and highlighting the metal elements using non/metallic paints. 

8CDA4757-7931-42DB-A41D-1A9EAB533524.thumb.jpeg.d8e8339918f542e37b1296bb47db700e.jpeg

I glazed some pinks and turquoise here and there but I think I can see the beginnings of how I would darken certain areas and contrast with bright white (eg the sword hilt with the ball ends) to sell the metallic shine more.

Anyway, most therapeutic. :)

It’s really effective. How do you do your glazes?  Paint and water and medium?

1 hour ago, Sardan said:

It’s really effective. How do you do your glazes?  Paint and water and medium?

Depends how lazy I'm being. This was Contrast Paint and Water (Terradon Turquoise), and also some regular paint and water (Pink Horror). But on other occasions where I've cared more about avoiding tide marks I've used Contrast Medium, or Lahmian Medium. 

Lot of drybrushing here as well of course. I like the subtle texture it adds to cloaks like this one, which is probably going to be a bit more tatty than a nice shiny Stormcast cloak or whatever, having been in a grave. It also helps integrate the cloak into the wispy ghost areas (tm) if you attack it all at once. I still touched up some areas with edge highlighting though (most noticeable on the horizontal iron railings).

On 06/01/2022 at 08:18, Sardan said:

Thanks. I can dry brush and wash (at least I used to be able to) but glazing is something I’ve never done and am keen to try. 

Same. I'm terrified to try but I have these hideous Grey Knights to practice on! I'm going to buy some oil paints this afternoon and give blending with oils a go. I haven't used oils since I was in school but I've seen some cool results online and I'm well up for trying it. Going to rewatch this video on chromatic black I saw and have at it.

Been working away on Journeyman Miniature’s version of Paul Bonner’s Cadwallon Bodyguard.  This is a massive piece of resin, such fun to paint I’m painting this quicker than I think I’ve done anything else, ever :lol:

2AD3DD4E-326F-49EC-ADB9-A5CCC7BEBF56.thumb.jpeg.601d3430bdb7ba89c43c0942a54d4e12.jpeg

84DD7F01-95BE-437D-AD84-015AAC2E4B8E.thumb.jpeg.21b7625a6557bd7404b5e06a5e7ee151.jpeg

Lookiin good @The BagI'll have some Bonner styled miniatures to paint later this year once cmon deliver their Trudvang game. I don't paint many fantasy models any more so I'm excited to try something a little different.

That's awesome @And. Great work. I've got plenty of miniatures to paint, but keen to get a vehicle or something big to paint at some point soon. That model is pretty much at he top of the list.

And yes, it totally counts! :D