IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I feel your pain. The same goes for the Dark Angels and Drukhari armies I've recently been painting that have made me want to strip my own models and do them the same way.

Consider the commissions as being paid to practice. 

On 07/12/2021 at 23:56, Cocky said:

Thanks!

Here are my last superhero models for the year. This was a fun job and I use that word in the way my old maths teacher used it. But it's been a good year so I took my time and worked on producing a more cleaner, professional finish. 

Marvel+Crisis+Protocol+Painted?format=15

These are amazing, what set/brand are these from?

56 minutes ago, MattKB said:

These are amazing, what set/brand are these from?

The models are from a game called Marvel Crisis Protocol. There nice models to paint for the most part. The models in the original starter weren't very good, with soft details and annoying assembly. The later releases are much more improved although I'm not too keen on the floating/tactical explosion design as it makes them a bit harder to paint.

4 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Awesome. I especially like the edge detailing on the red cloak. Is that freehand?

Yes. Loathsome and painful it was.

And every time I look at it I'm not entirely happy, but it's as good as I'm gonna get it really. It holds up better in real life than it does under the glare of the camera :P 

Forgive the gratuitous gunpla post, but this isn't really relevant only to gunpla.

Lincoln Wright is a... strange... guy, but when it comes to really cool weathered sci-fi paint jobs, he's fantastic and makes it look piss easy. There's some brilliant techniques here, and very simple.

7 minutes ago, Nicky said:

He's also a bit of a cunt. my mate was supporting him on patreon and when he had to pull his money support, Link went fucking crazy at him.

Reason for me not to ever watch any of his things then. Sounds a bit like an entitled wanker.

Great paint job, I think it’s a bit of a crap

model though. why would you be cleaning a blade when it’s still stuck in a body? Do power swords even need cleaning or does it burn off? What happens when your flimsy thrall gets blown away and you can’t find your gun? 

I know the concepts of ‘makes sense’ and 40K don’t really match up, but it just strikes me as impractical. 

I suggest that overthinking these things is probably not a good idea really.

My take on it -especially when it was all unpainted is that it reminded me of a big statue showing implausibly heroic things which make no sense in reality. 

I think it’s a pretty impressive figure myself. Never want to paint another one, mind!

I got a Windsor and Newton brush from Amazon, not cheap and right away the tip looks borked. 

I’m thinning paint with water , just not getting a great point. I’m twisting it in the paint to draw it to a point but having no luck -  any tips? 

E9C56D04-73BD-470F-BE67-C9D9FB87CD36.jpeg

out of the factory they have some starch on the bristles to keep them pointy. i suggest a good clean and gently rub some hair conditioner through, leave for 20 mins, then rinse off thoroughly. then try to make a point just like you're trying.

On 15/12/2021 at 14:13, Nicky said:

out of the factory they have some starch on the bristles to keep them pointy. i suggest a good clean and gently rub some hair conditioner through, leave for 20 mins, then rinse off thoroughly. then try to make a point just like you're trying.

This worked really well, thankyou. Still gets a bit gunky at the tip after a while but I just rinse and kitchen towel to remove it. Going to do my other brushes now the same way. 

Annoyingly I got paint into the ferrule which I was desperately trying to avoid but gave it a rinse and hopefully will be ok. 

Kind of an odd question: but do you guys know of any models that've been painted monochromatically (even better just shades of grey) with a single light source in mind?

And i don't mean the 'bulb on top of your head means all edges are highlighted equally' zenithal approach.

Maybe what i'm thinking of in my head, isn't physically possible on a standard miniature.