IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

On 30/09/2021 at 09:24, Mikes said:

Malifaux Shen Long crew done.

fYGYdcX.jpg

It's been really humid and rainy here recently, and it wasn't until last saturday that I had spare time on a dry day to get these varnished. It wasn't until the first coat was dry that I noticed while they were on my desk waiting I'd managed to splash blue paint across half of them.

If you need me I'll be here:

x3r9m7ll17551.jpg

11 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Holy shit that looks amazing! Like real marble!

Thanks, I'm pretty pleased with how it tuned out.  Now I just need to not fuck up the rest of it.

7 hours ago, Cocky said:

I added a few more models to my infinity army and hopefully more will be added soon now I've finished with my marvel collection. I think the decision not to have a strict uniform color scheme was a good one and I've enjoyed playing around with different combinations. 

CA110s.JPG

They look amazing!

13 hours ago, The Bag said:

They look amazing!

Thanks!

59 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Forcing myself to get better at edge highlights. Must…resist…urge…to dry brush!

I would have picked an easier model to practice on or at least focused entirely edging. Space marines are a good choice for this as are infinity models. 

I used to practice using shitty synthetics with hooked tips and now I can paint itty bitty details for fun.

CA23ss.JPG

Oh sure - I’m not painting it solely to practice edge highlights. I was painting it anyway, but I’m forcing myself to try and do it “properly” as I think it’ll be worth it. I’m taking it slowly, as I think trying to do too much at once makes me splosh the paint down in a hurry.

I haven’t painted a Space Marine in a while though, so I’m definitely going to see if my skills have improved since I painted these:

2EB54711-D6CB-4629-8A07-15710AD5D9C0.thumb.jpeg.f5826618fffa9dcb462bcf0103a7e4e0.jpeg

I have a gazillion Stormcast and Nighthaunt to paint first though. And scenery. So much scenery!

On the subject of Stormcast, how much better are the new designs! The proportions and details are so much better. I’ve primed this guy and can’t wait to paint him:

61A8D090-72D2-4823-8EF9-C9CD10201B34.thumb.jpeg.fd6d6ea4da6d7ec415b7a01e269b9708.jpeg

I think that looks really good. I’m a big fan of rattle cans for scenery. Did all the necron stuff from pariah nexus black then speckled with green metal and leadbelcher - 10 minute job and it’s done enough for play. 

It’s quick and easy but I can see how an airbrush would have helped here. The guides I’ve seen suggest layering up various shades in random patterns, which is difficult with rattle cans.

Still, once I do some gold detailing and an oil wash I think it’ll look quite convincing. Next one I will try to make mostly white with thinner marble veins.

I did it as start from black.  Add random splodges of inktense wood (hurhurhur) and random splodges of a dark grey blue - I used anthracite grey for S75 I believe.  Those add some colour variance in the lower tones.  I then attempted the baby wipe method, using the airbrush in my case - next time I’ll do it not on a model that’s assembled, it was hard to get a tight fit.  I used media com art opaque white for that, best airbrush white imo.

Then I used a mix of Burnt Siena, black, and green oils to do the shading and pick out details - that’s really what made it come together and the details shine.

Yep! I’m trying to learn but every time I see something I’ve done and think “Yes! Perfect! Now don’t touch it…” I wander back later and…touch it!

Well, not every time. But it feels like it! 

I think it’s just a lesson in letting go, safe in the knowledge I’ll probably be able to paint something like it again, but also in learning a routine/recipe for such things. The pros seem to do things like gems the same every single time, because they’re on the clock and painting to a house style so the have to - whereas I’m winging it. 

I did this lens the other day which I’m pleased with, but I might knock the gloss varnish back as it’s a bit like a boiled sweet. No doubt that’ll ruin it! :lol:

BE0B9B83-7D4B-460A-8C85-995BF3A5DB48.thumb.jpeg.cf7c934a229d0a60208ca740c5a32243.jpeg

6 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yep! I’m trying to learn but every time I see something I’ve done and think “Yes! Perfect! Now don’t touch it…” I wander back later and…touch it!

Well, not every time. But it feels like it! 

I think it’s just a lesson in letting go, safe in the knowledge I’ll probably be able to paint something like it again, but also in learning a routine/recipe for such things. The pros seem to do things like gems the same every single time, because they’re on the clock and painting to a house style so the have to - whereas I’m winging it. 

I did this lens the other day which I’m pleased with, but I might knock the gloss varnish back as it’s a bit like a boiled sweet. No doubt that’ll ruin it! :lol:

BE0B9B83-7D4B-460A-8C85-995BF3A5DB48.thumb.jpeg.cf7c934a229d0a60208ca740c5a32243.jpeg

Looks fantastic tbh, although as it appears to be an ork weapon there should be a crack on it, and like, some alien beef dripping smeared on the lens

Hello fellow cunts, my brushes are crap and while I’m doing decent work with them I’d prefer some of the fancy Windsor Newton brushes you guys wax lyrical about. What sizes do you recommend? I’m only painting infantry, and all their helmets are off so I’m painting their tiny, angry little faces

series 7 Miniatures range size 1. they're fucking bulletproof. smaller belly than a lot of brushes, but if you want a nice detail focused brush and you're less than perfect at looking after brushes, they're a solid choice.

Definitely get Series 7.  You can go for the miniature or the standard ones - both have their disciples. Like @Nicky I prefer the miniature ones.  I like to use a size 0 for a lot of stuff.  0, 1, or 2 would be suitable probably.  A 2 is slightly harder to do the details with but perfectly possible if the brush has a good point.  Learning to use a big brush for everything can help you speed up your painting.  It might be worth getting a really tiny brush as well - a 000 or something - for the tiny details.  

It depends on how much you want to spend.  Getting a 000, a 0, a 1, and a 2 would seem like a nice way to try a few out and have a few options, but that's going to set you back £40-£50!