IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

17 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I know you don't need (and didn't ask for) any advice, but a simple light dry brush of Corax White all over would really make him pop.

I've been doing some Nighthaunt myself this week. I have a weird love/hate relationship with them due to the "Is it a cloak, or is it smoke?" design. But I rattled this off over three nights and it was a nice change of pace from the intricate details of these Cursed City models (which I swear I will never finish).

7677296D-5393-4200-9639-4BED57965771.jpeg

46211EF0-1036-4001-B7AA-B39AF295D3CB.jpeg

A284B8DE-CBC3-4BA4-B737-BC00D910C0B8.jpeg

AEB30CF6-39E9-4EB2-9EC9-297862F54AAE.jpeg

Looks great, I needed to order something from forbidden planet so have ordered a few mortal realms with cool looking models including this guy. (Breaking my no more minis pledge) 

If you don’t mind me asking? What do you use for your photos and processing? Is the background digital? Have you got one straight out of camera to compare?

18 hours ago, Nicky said:

yeah from experience that desk is way too tidy and you need a lot more storage. don't get me wrong it's beautiful but you will end up needing paint storage, water bottles, thinner bottles, flow improver bottles, somewhere to put your palletes, your modelling tools, your basing supplies, all your glues and adhesives, tapes, clamps, magnifier, etc etc. you could look into what i did and grab an on wheels 4 tier makeup trolley if you want to keep the pretty aesthetic.  Ih ave all my spray cans and glues / thinners in the bottom. Then next tray up is full of pigments and laquer paints. then the next is tools, polishes, tapes, sanding sticks etc top one has all my tamiya paints,  water colour pencils, pens, enamel pots and all my enamel washes in. can lock em so little hands don't get in, and wheel them around. highly recommended

71ys7IQ4PiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Popamazing-Hairdressing-Makeup-Cosmetics-Trolley/dp/B01BV47WTA/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=makeup+trolley&qid=1626267327&sr=8-6

Now that looks like a good idea, I've got so many paints and crap spread everywhere (made even worse by not being in my own home atm).  I bought some little plastic drawers to shove things in and they're too short for dropper bottles to stand up in, plus they only hold the small set of GW & Vallejo paints I've got, the SC75, Scale artists range, oils, pigments, waxes, and everything else are just in random cardboard boxes atm.  It's a mess.

Edit, although looking at the sizes I wonder if I could fit everything in.  I might be better off with something more like this:

71sTTKiJsiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

1 hour ago, And said:

Looks great, I needed to order something from forbidden planet so have ordered a few mortal realms with cool looking models including this guy. (Breaking my no more minis pledge) 

If you don’t mind me asking? What do you use for your photos and processing? Is the background digital? Have you got one straight out of camera to compare?

I have a load of spare Mortal Realms sprues you can have for P&P only if you're interested! You'd be doing me a favour if you wanted them, honestly.

Ah yes, so for the background I've simply blended in a photo of some clouds I took myself a couple of years ago, using a free app called Picsart. I don't always do that - I sometimes post a "dry" studio shot on my Insta of the same model. But I always make some adjustments prior to that which I show in this video if you're interested:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPP6-2Yne9n/

So before any tweaks whatsoever (including cropping) it looked like this:

37A90254-0500-433C-9657-8297ED27061D.jpeg

And before adding the clouds it looked like this:

DA298B13-5EA5-4156-B487-C89C74D73446.jpeg

I think I applied the vignette again after the clouds had been added - making the edges of the photo jet black really helps focus the eye I find.

Cool. I’ve been playing around with procreate but still learning how it all works, so it’s interesting to see how others do it. I’d bought a light box to use instead of the shelf in the kitchen but that has the opposite effect where instead of an indistinct picture of a model that looks crap because of the quality of the shot, I get a perfect picture that looks crap because of the quality of the paint job!

Thanks for the offer, but the pile of shame needs sorting before I add more onto it, especially as I expect the new kill team box will be bought in august!

7 minutes ago, And said:

Cool. I’ve been playing around with procreate but still learning how it all works, so it’s interesting to see how others do it. I’d bought a light box to use instead of the shelf in the kitchen but that has the opposite effect where instead of an indistinct picture of a model that looks crap because of the quality of the shot, I get a perfect picture that looks crap because of the quality of the paint job!

Thanks for the offer, but the pile of shame needs sorting before I add more onto it, especially as I expect the new kill team box will be bought in august!

Haha, yeah I hear you. Actually I use photographs of my unfinished minis to locate errors as my eyesight is getting worse and worse. I have to use a magnifying glass for anything really tiny, especially faces, and I frequently don't even realise I've missed a target until I zoom in on a photo I've taken.

I've been meaning to start a thread on mini photography for a while, but basically the above post is the sum total of what I do. Interested to see what others do though, and I still haven't found a good way of taking pix on a white background.

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

I'm jealous as hell. Looks awesome. I've never been one fo those people who can be tidy at anything. It's a skill I wish I had but am too lazy to try and achieve it.

This is my bombsite.

Aru7fnu.jpg

At least your space is functional.

Let's see how tidy I can keep mine as I add more and more bits. I'm looking at a cheapo airbrush kit for priming/base-coating, so that's going to stand out a fair bit.

If it's any consolation here's my regular workspace on a normal day:

Spoiler

IMG-20210715-093400.jpg

3 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Interested to see what others do though, and I still haven't found a good way of taking pix on a white background.

Photographing with a white background is fully dependent on getting your exposure correct. the amount of photos i see where people have exposed incorrectly due to shit metering is insane. you'll see a model with a white background but the camera has exposed FOR the white background and not for the darker model. When photographing on a white background make sure you're spot metering or manually adjusting so that the white background is blown out (as it should be) and the exposure is even across the model.

as for how i take photos, i set my tripod up over a black background, position my lights a 10 and 2 over my shoulders, or singular depending on the model or mood. But the main magic happens via the way i take the photos. first up all focus is in manual. i take anywhere between 10 and 50 photos depending on the size of the model, all with a slightly different focus point. i basically find the closest element to the lens, then pull a little closer and take the first photo. then back it out a few MM and take another, back out some more, then shoot another. repeat this until youve covered the whole model in slices of in focus areas.

next i import these batches of images into Lightroom and find one in the middle of the stack, develop the settings for tweaked exposure, contrast, levels and curves etc, copy these settings and then apply the develop settings to all the images.

i then select all the images i want to stack and open them as layers in one document in photoshop from within lightroom. once they are in photoshop i make sure all the layers are aligned incase there was movement from the tripod, then i run the stacking function which will take all the elements of focus from each individual photo and stack them together into a singular in-focus image. It sounds a lot of work, and it is, but when you're working with small models that have a large footprint and you need the maximum amount of sharpness and image quality, there is no better way of achieving this than the old half a day editing photos method above.

depth of field in standard photography or if you're trying to train the eye on a certain thing is great, but in mini / product photography when you need to show the whole thing so people can see everything you've just got to do it.

23 hours ago, Mikes said:

I'm jealous as hell. Looks awesome. I've never been one fo those people who can be tidy at anything. It's a skill I wish I had but am too lazy to try and achieve it.

This is my bombsite.

Aru7fnu.jpg

Oh good god now I’m terrified to share my basement workbench

I'm looking at the KS and unfortunately I don't think there's anything for me, although Joe's painting is outstanding as ever. However, now I have a better understanding of the game now all my stuff has arrived, and I have some games lined up at my local club for when restrictions are lifted, I'll be getting more Delgon and some Doghu later on I suspect.

46 minutes ago, Mikes said:

I'm looking at the KS and unfortunately I don't think there's anything for me, although Joe's painting is outstanding as ever. However, now I have a better understanding of the game now all my stuff has arrived, and I have some games lined up at my local club for when restrictions are lifted, I'll be getting more Delgon and some Doghu later on I suspect.

They're definitely not my favourite denizens of the world, but that's a good thing really. There's a nice variety of life going on :)

Although, the Casaanii will always remain my top picks - love them a lot. 

Guys, I found the worst painting video on the whole internet!

The comments are incredible as well.  He's convinced that the only reason anyone would disagree with his "objectively correct" criticisms is that they have made the same "mistakes" he highlights in the video and are upset about it.  :facepalm:

The thing is....he's *sort of* not wrong. But his conclusions are drawn from a very very rudamentary understanding of value in relation to painting miniatures. He is somewhat correct in his "highlgihting orange on red is bad"  But again he's forgetting some ciritical points - perception in a rendered painting often depends on contrasting one colour against other colours, and you're painting to scale. where the rules of reality are thrown out to make things "seem correct"  also you cant take anything he says from a position of authority when one of the first things he says is "without any further adieu"

These people upset me an awful lot. He's like the worst possible backseat driver there could be - offering technically correct reasoning and arguments on how one should drive, whilst admitting he's never had a driving lesson in his life. 

I can't stand it.

I mean, I can't stand the vast majority of painting tutorials on you-tube anyway, because one of fundamental joys I get from doing this thing is just splashing things about a bit and working out what works and what doesn't for myself. 

The one piece of advice I've ever stood by and give out to anyone starting is to drybrush everything, all of the time.

It's just the best thing ever to watch someone go from painting a base colour on something and then see the thing come to life with a vigorous brush movements.

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

These people upset me an awful lot. He's like the worst possible backseat driver there could be - offering technically correct reasoning and arguments on how one should drive, whilst admitting he's never had a driving lesson in his life. 

I can't stand it.

I mean, I can't stand the vast majority of painting tutorials on you-tube anyway, because one of fundamental joys I get from doing this thing is just splashing things about a bit and working out what works and what doesn't for myself. 

The one piece of advice I've ever stood by and give out to anyone starting is to drybrush everything, all of the time.

It's just the best thing ever to watch someone go from painting a base colour on something and then see the thing come to life with a vigorous brush movements.

Couldn't agree more. It's magic.

I posted up one of my Cursed City models on Instagram  a while ago and got a crazy number of likes for me (1,200 or so) * - it was literally just a base colour, contrast, and dry-brushing. It's super effective in the right situation.

* I know this is not the measure of success and it's probably the algorithim, but it still surprised me.

This is the video of the mini that guy is criticising being painted.  It's painted by Juan Hidalgo, who is an excellent painter, far better than Mr Douche up there, and who has a far better understanding of colour.  It blows my mind that that miniature is painted with Contrast Paints.  That's like doing it left handed and blindfolded.

One of the things that annoyed me most about the video is how he voices the artist's thought processes, he thinks that he painted the aquilla by highlighting it pinkish, realised it was "wrong" then highlighted the helmet with orange to try and fix his mistake.  As if Juan Hidalgo is flailing around trying to figure out how to paint red!  

He says in the comments that all miniature painters strive exclusively for realism, that there is never anything else in an artist's mind, states difinitively that striving for "unrealism" is not a thing in miniature painting, and that the artist was striving for realism but got it "wrong."  He dismisses out of hand the idea of artistic choices.  Even the main thrust of his argument is fundamentally flawed because it doesn't take into account how the brain processes colours, or even that colours are a spectrum, not split into clearly delineated categories.

It's hilarious that he shows one of his own miniatures at the end of the video to show how he would do it and it looks absolutely terrible.  The worst thing about his miniature is how the colours look.  

Before we start to feel sorry for the guy, his twitter feed is full of anti-vax nonsense and climate change denial, so he's a knobhead in other fields as well.  An omni-knobhead.