IGNORED

The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

JoeK

7 hours ago, Cocky said:

I have decent selection of the fluid range. Compared to regular hobby paints they are much more glossier and transparent and for me they are too much effort to use for regular painting. Instead I use them for glazing or adding them to hobby paints to boost the color. I do like the new so flats though and I think the two ranges work well together. 

Of course it all depends on your painting style. I paint from dark to light with high contrast and as few layers as possible and I'm willing to sacrifice color intensity in favor of opacity. 

Precisely the reply I was looking for. Thanks so much.

I've got myself six primaries from the Vallejo line, which I believe are single pigment colours (or very close), so I'm going to practice mixing with those before breaking the seal on the KKs.

Loving that, brilliant definition on the muscles and you've made his face utterly terrifying (as it should be).

Are you just using Ryza Rust with a wash for that rust effect? It looks great and I'm especially loving it on the chainmail links and mace.

Yes, although I went a bit easier on it this time. 

Basically my routine with metal is base coat, wash (either nuln oil or Agrax depending on whether I want warm/cool, and what the base coat is), dry brush or edge highlight of a brighter metallic, then dabs of thinned Ryza Rust and either Nihilakh Oxide or thinned Kabalite Green.

Invariably I then find the brighter highlight too fake looking, and then I repeat the whole process above several times until I'm happy with it.

Looking at the mace, I totally forgot to put any Nihilakh on the back of it. D'oh!

The most fun bit apart from the skin was the terra cotta effect on the amphora thingy. The GW pix show it as more of a grey clay bottle, but I saw someone online painting it in terra cotta, so I thought I'd give it a go, to add a little colour.

On the subject of Contrast Paints, this may have been around for a while as a technique, but I've noticed that their use has become quite sophisticated, as exemplified by this painter's videos:

The term 'Eavy Contrast suggests that it's a 'Eavy Metal style using Contrast Paints, and that's exactly what it is. All the "traditional" techniques are there (glazing, edge highlighting) but using Contrast Paints for base coats and washes.

The results speak for themselves I think. 

My brain: Stop it! Look, you've got enough miniatures to paint. You've barely made a dent in Cursed City, let alone all the other miniatures you've got from other board games!

You don't need to start buying Nurgle miniatures... even if they are insanely cool... and you've been secretly obsessed with Papa Nurgle since your teens...

IMG_20210603_224846.thumb.jpg.e991331da4ab2471b092482309e04fbb.jpg

Wait, what the...?

Okay, calm down. I've checked the bank statement and it was a steal at less than a tenner, so it's not so bad. I mean, it's not like you're doing something stupid like buying Warbands for a game you don't even own...

Spoiler

IMG_20210603_224856.thumb.jpg.2f7e2374493c6d3c2c157c54ed4c06bf.jpg

Oh for fu...

3 hours ago, Mikes said:

Sooooo, @JoeK.....working on anything right now?

Trying to! I’ve just got over a bout of flu, and it’s been a bit of a bugger.

However, I’m back doing some more Twilight figures, and whenever they get finished I’ve got the new Vampire Crimson Court figs to do for someone as well. Which will be nice :)

Just need to get the mojo back on course again now....

1 hour ago, JoeK said:

However, I’m back doing some more Twilight figures,

Yay!

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Twilight purchases and saw there was a KS. Mike said you were on the case so I'm going to wait to see what the KS involves first.

1 hour ago, Mikes said:

Yay!

I'm about to pull the trigger on some Twilight purchases and saw there was a KS. Mike said you were on the case so I'm going to wait to see what the KS involves first.

Yeah, we're not entirely sure when the KS will start - I assume when I've got things mostly painted really, so god knows ;)

There's some cool stuff though! 

I don’t really understand this. My Instagram posts usually get about 150-200 likes, with a few outliers. 

For some reason this guy has got nearly 1k likes!

0435E0A6-6C33-4BE7-AA7F-E7E080D228F6.thumb.png.c5f142432c619414bfa521b95618a714.png

Which baffles me as it’s literally just a base coat, contrast paint on the fur and skin, and a rather heavy handed dry brush of Ulthuan Grey. I’d considered it the starting basis for the full paint job, using the dry brush highlight as a layering guide, but I’m getting comments saying “It’s finished, stop there!” and so on.

Meanwhile this guy, the piece I’m proudest of so far, and which took ages, isn’t doing anything like the same numbers:

6C9444F3-6DEC-43CF-ABA6-406A1400BFD6.thumb.png.6c15092eb5c281080279807e2f714a8d.png

I dunno, I’m not really in this for the likes, but I am a bit perplexed. I’m wondering if something in the algorithm is just getting one post more reach? 

each of those hashtags has a "top" section if its a slow day or suddenly a hashtag becomes popular and you have enough likes to appear in one (which doesnt have to make any sense either because the top section is often broken),  things snowball. grats

I wouldn't put much into the number of likes, unless you want mental health issues. I post on instagram because of the community. It's a place to share my work with my fellow painters and seeing what they are working on. It's not been useful for picking up new clients, the majority of my likes come from the same core group of followers, and once I gave up thinking about building my brand it became a much more enjoyable experience.  

Like @Nicky says there are ways to game the system. The algorithm pits us against each other, and post boosting is a lot more common than you might realize if the number of ads that I see is anything to go by.  But for me it's better to not think about the metrics at all.

Found some of my other brother's Warhammer painted figures, mixture of lead and plastic. Was wondering are they worth anything if they're painted, knocks down the value I guess but unsure if you can strip the paint off?.

1 hour ago, Cocky said:

I wouldn't put much into the number of likes, unless you want mental health issues. I post on instagram because of the community. It's a place to share my work with my fellow painters and seeing what they are working on. It's not been useful for picking up new clients, the majority of my likes come from the same core group of followers, and once I gave up thinking about building my brand it became a much more enjoyable experience.  

Like @Nicky says there are ways to game the system. The algorithm pits us against each other, and post boosting is a lot more common than you might realize if the number of ads that I see is anything to go by.  But for me it's better to not think about the metrics at all.

Oh, I'm not putting much into it at all, I was just puzzled by the spike. 

And I agree, the Instagram community is a delight, I get so many lovely messages and comments, and it makes me want to do the same. 

31 minutes ago, yakumo said:

Found some of my other brother's Warhammer painted figures, mixture of lead and plastic. Was wondering are they worth anything if they're painted, knocks down the value I guess but unsure if you can strip the paint off?.

lets see whatyou've got!

I wouldnt strip them if i were you, let whoever buys them do that incase something breaks etc

2 minutes ago, Nicky said:

lets see whatyou've got!

I wouldnt strip them if i were you, let whoever buys them do that incase something breaks etc

sure I have to take some photos, they're quite old though from the 90s since it was when he was collecting.

On 04/06/2021 at 23:16, yakumo said:

sure I have to take some photos, they're quite old though from the 90s since it was when he was collecting.

There's a very healthy market for them. Oldhammer Trading groups on facebook are a good place to start to get an idea of value, but yeah, I'm sure a few of us here would be interested in what you have.

Also, as mentioned, don't strip them. Painted minis, unless the paint job is really good, don't add any value, but stripping them won't add any value either and can be a PITA if you don't know what you're doing.  We collectors accept that stripping second hand minis is part of the hobby.

56 minutes ago, Mikes said:

There's a very healthy market for them. Oldhammer Trading groups on facebook are a good place to start to get an idea of value, but yeah, I'm sure a few of us here would be interested in what you have.

Also, as mentioned, don't strip them. Painted minis, unless the paint job is really good, don't add any value, but stripping them won't add any value either and can be a PITA if you don't know what you're doing.  We collectors accept that stripping second hand minis is part of the hobby.

Thanks, most of them are from the 2010 -2012, all are OOP Metal version from googling. Always like the figure Abandon the Despoiler, that figure was badass and was one I remembered. Paint probably needs to be removed as this is a teenager's attempt at painting, some is alright I admit for his age at the time