The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

On 01/05/2021 at 20:02, feltmonkey said:

It's 15-20 models per week, so if you go with 20, that's four every working day.

Maths never was my strong point. In my defence my calculations were spot on if it was 10 models a week.

Moving on, new project - Devourer force for Confrontation.

y599ap8jn1x61.jpg?width=960&crop=smart&a

10 hours ago, Mikes said:

Maths never was my strong point. In my defence my calculations were spot on if it was 10 models a week.

Or if weeks were 10 days long, which we can't discount at this point.

Man, I don't like painting this figure. It is taking so long, and I cannot get into much of a rhythm with. Just so slow. I think it'll be fine in the end, but it's one of those times where I'll take a bit of a hit on my commission fees ;) . Never mind.

Ynneadwip1.thumb.jpg.a006376e368a30b3fc91378e66160159.jpg 

He may not have been successful in the mayoral election.. but he's made it into 28mm mini form via Troublemaker games..

(Cost £5, with £3 of that going to NHS charities..)

http://www.troublemakergames.co.uk/postapoc.htm

By agreement with the human behind Count Binface, we are able to bring you this
28mm "Heroic Scale" Miniature of the greatest parody politician in the post-truth universe!

£3 from each purchase of Count Binface will be donated to UK based NHS-supporting charities. Includes 25mm diameter plastic base.

image.png.d3d637f5ea9666a6fc638fdb2785ce0c.png

Looking great but fiddly as hell.

Been doing some more work on this bust with my teacher, taking inspiration from Kirill Kanaev’s book with the approach to the fur.  Also doing the red part of his shirt.

B5649065-C300-4D9E-94E4-576C5688F1D9.thumb.jpeg.c0642f62c4e7251b563cc57c94d02887.jpeg

34840193-24DB-4593-B0E7-396A3A8C0A37.thumb.jpeg.c98473a6e4fcfc63de8395df3a575763.jpeg

3D16CD61-CC27-4A1A-A378-0BD4051A020E.thumb.jpeg.d853aee8ad177f03a592e43a784f68cb.jpeg

On 15/05/2021 at 10:10, JoeK said:

Feels like she's starting to click now...

Ynneadwip2.jpg.835bc42cf485e2062958253423ebd8ef.jpg

Looks very nice. Yvraine is one of the minis i've most enjoyed doing - though I wish i'd had the idea to leave the bustle off to make the detailing easier.

• 2 weeks later...

@NickyIn all seriousness this is a tough time to be a miniature painter.  No tournaments and, if instagram is anything to go by, there's a lot more competition. So far, I've been up to the challenge but I'm not quite as comfortable as I'd like.

i dont think any true artist is ever comfortable with their output. However i think you'd be hard pressed to find another miniature painter on instagram that can output 20 models to your standard in 10 days. They're beautiful and i often show my students your work when explaining mastery of contrast and value, richness of colour and efficiency of technique.  You're right up there.

8 hours ago, Nicky said:

i dont think any true artist is ever comfortable with their output. However i think you'd be hard pressed to find another miniature painter on instagram that can output 20 models to your standard in 10 days. They're beautiful and i often show my students your work when explaining mastery of contrast and value, richness of colour and efficiency of technique.  You're right up there.

Thanks. It's taken a lot of work to get to this point and it is paying off. 18 months of continuous work is pretty good going especially given how things went last year. I guess I'm a lot more ambitious than I realise and I'm ready to push things on to the next level.

I found out recently that GW are going to release some models of Gaunt's Ghosts, which look absolutely lovely. There doesn't seem to be any details about release dates however. Are there specific sites to follow which will report on news of new model releases when preorders become available?

Nice. It is a fantastic model and I love the griminess you've given it there. The rusting to the face band and spikes is great and I hadn't even noticed he had lower bone parts till looking at your pics.

More Cursed City from me too - a 'not sure if finished / not sure if still WIP' Vargskyr. Apologies for the crap pic, the lighting is rubbish here today so just snapped it straight on the painting table.

IMG_20210530_100928.thumb.jpg.48f580bbe54c5de523b79e2b995fa1a3.jpg

There was a lot to learn with this one. It's the biggest model I've ever painted and, now I come to think of it, I don't think I've ever really tried to paint fur and pallid skin before (it was Space Marines with the occasional Terminator / Genestealer when I was a kid).

The biggest thing I learnt here was not to slavishly follow what people show you in tutorials on websites / videos as for how the model will turn out.  I won't name the site, but the initial stage of this was to use Contrast and Medium to give an overall wash. Despite following the guys recipe (easy enough, it was a straight 1:1 mix). the colour came out totally wrong and nothing like his stage by stage pics -  it was far too yellow and threw everything off. I had to do some serious rescuing to produce the pale white flesh colour in the end, resisting the urge to just strip it.  I like how that turned out in the end and the camera is picking out much more of the yellow than can seen by eye.

I'm not happy with loads of it. The pics don't show it but the membranes on the wings are far too strong a colour and needed to be a paler pink. I'm also not happy with parts of the claws. I need to learn to put a shade over and then walk away to let it dry and see how it looks before trying to add more. So I might redo those.

Also need to tidy up some of the base work. And then work on my model photography skills 😆

I think it looks great! 

I agree about not following online tutorials too closely. For one thing, they’re often deceptive in how easy they look - I fell foul of this recently when trying to follow a Darren Latham tutorial. He uses tiny amounts of glaze on the tip of his brush to layer up colours, and it looks soooo easy that you think “I could do that!”. But then you can’t even see the tiny detail he’s gradually layered up, never mind hit it with the brush. :lol:

And yes, trusting your eye regarding colour rather than a Youtube tutorial is wise. I tend to watch them for inspiration or to get clued up on a specific technique, and then go off piste - it’s the most fun bit in all honesty, and increasingly I’m finding that the quicker I go off a track that someone else has beaten, the quicker I start smiling while I paint.

Talking of eyes, your guy would look great if you were able to pick out his eyeballs in yellow or something. I don’t think he’d need pupils - he’s a monster so some stary, scary blank eyes would be more appropriate?

Finally, if you want a paler pink on the membrane bits, a little dry-brushing would probably achieve that without you having to repaint it. You could maybe start with a pinky white, and then do a final white dry brush, which would retain the darker pink in the recesses, but lighten it overall. The torso highlights on my guy above are all dry-brushing - people look down on that technique compared to edge highlighting, but I think it’s an essential technique that you just need to use in the right circs.

I honestly think it looks great though, looking forward to seeing some more pix! 

Everything on this page is the absolute dog's bollocks. The dogs from Ghostbusters. Especially @Cockys commission work up there. Fucking hell.

Does anyone here use proper artist's acrylics for the majority of their palette? It's been 25 years, but I'm getting back into this soon and I prefer to mix my own hues and tints while saving lots of money in the process. I'm looking at Golden's 'Fluid' range. The consistency looks spot on, but I'm wondering about the finish (matte, or satin/gloss?)

I've got a set of Kimera Kolors coming in, but they were such a pain in the ass to purchase - and now I have to wait until the end of July (at the very least) for them to get posted out to me. I'd much rather prefer to just head over to the local art supplies shop in future.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Everything on this page is the absolute dog's bollocks. The dogs from Ghostbusters. Especially @Cockys commission work up there. Fucking hell.

Does anyone here use proper artist's acrylics for the majority of their palette? It's been 25 years, but I'm getting back into this soon and I prefer to mix my own hues and tints while saving lots of money in the process. I'm looking at Golden's 'Fluid' range. The consistency looks spot on, but I'm wondering about the finish (matte, or satin/gloss?)

I've got a set of Kimera Kolors coming in, but they were such a pain in the ass to purchase - and now I have to wait until the end of July (at the very least) for them to get posted out to me. I'd much rather prefer to just head over to the local art supplies shop in future.

Cheers.

I have decent selection of the fluid range. Compared to regular hobby paints they are much more glossier and transparent and for me they are too much effort to use for regular painting. Instead I use them for glazing or adding them to hobby paints to boost the color. I do like the new so flats though and I think the two ranges work well together. 

Of course it all depends on your painting style. I paint from dark to light with high contrast and as few layers as possible and I'm willing to sacrifice color intensity in favor of opacity.