The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

Haha! Timely, as I've just been painting pupils.

Crappy pix as my iPhone is dead and in a bowl of rice currently. These taken on an ancient Sony camcorder!

DSC00021.thumb.JPG.8c3fd4ebe1405006c0d9eadda144d554.JPG

DSC00026.thumb.JPG.c49ee1fc697c35672c13fac76b30d3a9.JPG

I'm pretty pleased with them, but I always have to overshoot the line I make to paint in the pupil, then go back in with white on the lower eyelid, then re-shade. It seems to work though.

Went a bit heavy with the pink "soreness" using pink to make the skin around the metal parts look "Irritated and sore(tm)" on that second one mind.

jainzar1.jpg.690ae5ea0a8a3b2cb6c066bf0f2b976d.jpg

I really like the sculpt. I think the movement they got in her is fantastic, and just plain clever. Especially like the way they've done the cutting, so it's as seamless as you're gonna get when sticking her together!

Looks great. I always get the feeling that Eldar are neglected by GW. They really should take a break from producing yet more marines and spread the love. 

I really must learn when to stop. Especially with faces. Top left here is pre-pupil addition. Bottom right is latest. I can’t help but feel that bottom left, the third version I painted, was the best, or at least the cleanest looking. Only the pupil juuuust overlapped the top eyelid so I touched up and re-shaded. It still looks ok (and a lot better at normal viewing distance of course) but the smoothness is gone from the constant re-layering. And I’ll probably try and “fix” it again, even though it’s fine! :lol:

3E58B7CF-20F2-4ACF-BFCA-948BEF51CB86.thumb.jpeg.d0cb617cfdf035edee3db56c3d8280c8.jpeg

I think the last one is really nice - there's good depth in those shadows, and the eye looks spot on (and a little less cartoony I guess? Not that bottom left looks cartoony, but the pupil is definitely bigger!).

Don't be doing anything else though!

19 minutes ago, JoeK said:

I think the last one is really nice - there's good depth in those shadows, and the eye looks spot on (and a little less cartoony I guess? Not that bottom left looks cartoony, but the pupil is definitely bigger!).

Don't be doing anything else though!

Yes, I think you’re right. It’s mainly the skin on the rest of the head which I think looks better on the bottom left one. I reckon I could fix that without compromising the eyeball...

(Slaps own hand away from brushes, Dr Strangelove style) 

4 hours ago, Kzo said:

WIP wizard. Have been painting so infrequently that I had to google "mini painting how to blend" (then obviously ignored the results).

spacer.png

Who makes that mini?  Looks a bit like Red Box?

Having a lot of fun experimenting with the 5 Primaris Intercessors I bought off eBay. Decided to add a glowing green screen to this guy’s communicator thingy, and try and have that glow reflect in his eye lenses. Maybe in the future all Space Marines have green screen CPC464s or something, I dunno...

36DE4475-7D85-4065-9BAA-373FEB914049.thumb.jpeg.1b2eb8985a34fa9dd9fcb858fc4861cd.jpeg

2F339A0C-183A-4A30-87AC-C8585A41F6F3.thumb.jpeg.cdffa28c494fff8acaee07e8bd0ae22b.jpeg

In hindsight maybe I chose the wrong armour scheme to try this on, but I only thought of it on the fly. A darker/different/ metallic colour would probably be a better contrast to a green glow, and I could maybe push the glow a bit further too. Gotta try these things though! 

I think it looks good. you could have done it in red if you wanted a more pronounced effect. 
You could put also some colour on the guns. Paint the grips red and they’d really stand out. 

16 minutes ago, And said:

I think it looks good. you could have done it in red if you wanted a more pronounced effect. 
You could put also some colour on the guns. Paint the grips red and they’d really stand out. 

Not done those yet. Red was indeed the plan though! :)

11 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Looks good to me. I think you've got the perfect shade of green for the screen. What paints did you use for it?

It’s Hexwraith Flame over White.

Hmmmm, I notice there are some decals for tiny text on the sheet...

5 minutes ago, Kzo said:

Some of the citadel contrast paints look pretty good over metallics if you have any of those and want to give it a go.

Yes, it was Black Templar contrast paint I used over Leadbelcher to get the armour. I also have one I've done in Dark Angels Green over Leadbelcher. 

I also have some Gryph Hound Orange and Terradon Turqoise. All my other Contrast paints are in brown town (Snakebite Leather, Gore Grunta etc)

Had a bit of a revelation this evening. I’m sure we’ve all seen those Artis Opus videos where the nice chap uses their fancy brushes to dry brush everything and it all looks fantastic.

Well I’d been struggling to get a smooth finish on my Space Marine armour, so having undercoated some in black I decided to try “dry” brushing (actually slightly damp brushing) my base coat with a makeup brush instead of using a normal brush.

And blow me if it didn’t just give me the smoothest, quickest coverage! It was like magic, almost like spraying it, but much smoother:

7E5D39A0-BC21-48F0-98F4-7327390EBB29.thumb.jpeg.fd7c032dde0c08973145fc7b98666849.jpeg

Anyone else use this method? I honestly can’t see me doing it any other way from now on, it was so quick and easy!