The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

5 hours ago, Nicky said:

ha thanks guys. I've been working on this on stream since 13th November last year, every saturday night for 3 hours. add a bunch of extra 3-4 hour streams along the way so somewhere in the region of 170 hours of streams cut down the waffle and you're looking at around 150ish hours i'd say. Finished it a year and a day after starting it. i need to pick up the pace, or charge more.

Whatever you're charging I guarantee it won't be enough.

I Finished* my Flames of War German Army last week. This is what you get with half the "Hit the Beach" Starter set and the German starter army box, so all in, about £85 spend.

EmztRo6W4AA6_5t.thumb.jpeg.e5ac5f8ddcf5d74e688e1369b93b3695.jpegEmztRpYXIAEyR5K.thumb.jpeg.71268e7c01587e22f81a7d95f0d52ff6.jpegEmztRo3W8AEq0Vm.thumb.jpeg.1a1b376cf4ae0905182934b11cb67dcd.jpeg

*Ok, there's another infantry platoon from the starters and I bought an additional 4 half-tracks but this is still plenty for a full size game playable force with options and I need a break from WW2 stuff as I've been on it most of the year.

Trying to improve my edge highlights on the millions of cloaks I have to paint.

Well, I say edge highlights - I seem to have “developed” a process whereby I build up the initial colour in very thin coats, then I’ve been doing a dry brush to actually locate the raised areas. I then try and “properly” edge highlight these (with the side or tip of a brush), after which I’ve been sort of reverse highlighting - adding a dark wash in the recess, around the highlights. I find this easier than painting the raised areas, and it has the bonus effect that if I go over the highlights at all, it simply tidies them up. I dunno, seems to be working for me, and I’m building confidence thanks to the wash. Good old Drakenhof Nightshade. 

781BF124-0BED-4E6C-AB45-F1E2B6CCC566.thumb.jpeg.8f7e672cb29d69be993834c6d0b9d83d.jpeg

I was pleased with the shoulder! :lol:

Boring colour scheme though. I need to mix it up a bit.

Not sure I showed off the finished Judiciar figure I did a couple of weeks (maybe longer? Time ebbs and flows very strangely in these troubled times!).

judiciarFINALsmall1.jpg.84db64f22e9fdc33741d46fb2bf0a1f7.jpg

And for those who like filthy video, here's the Blood Angels in the round...

Hard act to follow, but this is unfinished so it doesn't count. But sometimes this hobby is super rewarding when something goes exactly to plan. 

In this case I wanted a Hexwraith Flame wash to show through a thinned top coat of Incubi Darkness, and I couldn't be happier with the result:

Knight.thumb.jpg.cb0f66d309969e75d7e8d633213b24e1.jpg

It's not finished at all, but the overall effect is very pleasing. I also liked using Skeleton Horde contrast paint on the bones, not that there is much skill involved.

As an aside, I don't really understand why a "hero" character like this comes with such a boring base, especially when the Dreadblade Harrows, 2 very similar characters, come with detailed, sculpted bases. Still, I'm thinking it might be a good opportunity for me to try doing some kitbashing, rather than just sticking some skulls and tufts on it...