The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

I second the goggles recommendation.  Even multiple Golden Demon winning painters aknowledge that they are kind of a secret weapon when it comes to painting.  Don't use them for the whole process, but they are invaluable for details and edge highlights.

10 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Thanks folks. Any last, lingering thread of desire my partner had for me, will be severed when she sees me in a pair of these, but at least my space marines won’t be cross-eyed. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Hands-Free-Magnifying-Replaceable-Magnification/dp/B08DTQPMD9/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1O3SHJQXG8UPD&dchild=1&keywords=head+magnifier&qid=1604310945&sprefix=head+magni%2Caps%2C176&sr=8-13

I've got one of these and 2 daylight lamps that I acquired somewhere down the line. I can 100% guarantee they make you at least 37% more sexy to your partner

goggles.thumb.jpg.ed5c0c4c77f0f47983a0ad102c7cef90.jpg

The biggest problem I have with them is that hey make me overcompensate massively for mistakes, because you spend ages correcting shit only to take the goggles off and find you'd never have seen the errors in the first instance.

First attempt at painting the lining on my Lord Exorcist’s cloak:

C4E78795-8758-439C-8E48-7C9A5B808BF1.thumb.jpeg.2b55459a997f83cb7d7575cfdd2f90a7.jpeg

That got painted over straight away :lol:

Second attempt was much better:

613E5200-E339-4111-8D33-C5F965AFDA2D.thumb.jpeg.b543730d4c9a5cccdfd922df68997650.jpeg

B87FD6C2-84E4-47EB-ADE2-B1EE94B3F1C1.thumb.jpeg.4c5e6d77838037b59fbd259eda0f1994.jpeg

I cheated a bit - used masking tape initially to get most of the blue line, then tidied it up with white (which is weirdly easier than filling in the blue line). This gave me a bit more confidence to do the bottom line freehand. 

It could be better, but considering the first attempt looked like I was drunk, I’ll take it! :lol:

8 hours ago, Stoppy2000 said:

I have ordered this just because of my love of all things He-Man... I've never painted a miniature in my life. I am reasonably decent with a paintbrush but have no idea what sort of stuff I need. Is there a beginner's guide anywhere? 

Screenshot_20201106-223048.png

I've got that and the Skeletor one coming. 

The guys have been great for general advice as they go although i dont think i've picked up a paint brush at all this year. 

One of the first things i got pointed too was this:-

Some fantastic stuff there, one of the main sources i tend to use for painting is literally looking up the models on YouTube and watching anyone painting the same or similar model. 

Sorry, if you mean actual kit i'm sure the guys will point you in the direction of decent gear.

I have a Winsor & Newton brush i got in 2017 i still haven't opened as I'm still not confident enough that i wouldn't ruin it and waste the money. 

Army builder brushes were recommended to me, and they are still going strong.

21 minutes ago, Arn Ironjaw said:

Sorry, if you mean actual kit i'm sure the guys will point you in the direction of decent gear.

I have a Winsor & Newton brush i got in 2017 i still haven't opened as I'm still not confident enough that i wouldn't ruin it and waste the money. 

Army builder brushes were recommended to me, and they are still going strong.

Yeah need to know the best paints/brushes really. Well maybe not the best as I am unlikely to turn this into a full time hobby so don't want massive expense if can be avoided...

It depends on how far down the rabbit hole you want to go. Some basic brushes and primary colours are easy enough to get, but if you want a decent spread of coplours so you're not mixing everything something like the GW starter set or the Army Painter set 

422765855_armypainter.thumb.jpg.5b06e5cd6865cbefc7985115fabf5f59.jpg

wraith3_b9a88a45-f5fb-456d-babc-a11d9150e081_720x.jpg.0a3270ef572dc74e68728b53746030ac.jpg

Plus a cheap set of brushes

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/humbrol-coloro-brushes-4-pack/567422-1000

or

https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/humbrol-palpo-brush-4-pack/567432-1000

the second set have smaller heads. Try to use your friendly neighbourhood gaming shop for the paint sets if you can instead of Amazon. You're looking about £35ish all in.

Someone else might be along to give you better advice in a bit but this would be where I'd start.

7 minutes ago, Stoppy2000 said:

That army painter set does look like it would cover all bases for the He-Man figure actually... 

Does a standard miniature require any sort of undercoat?

Also what is that 'QS Wash'? 

Apologies for the questions...

Never apologise.

For an undercoat I use Halfords grey primer. Some people prefer black (which I find really hard to paint over) some prefer white (which makes colours brighter) but I go with grey for the middle ground. Although I'm just looking at it now and there's a plastic and metal one. I'd assume the plastic one is the one to go with. Course you could just prime it with the white that comes with the set, just don't lay it on too thick to lose the details.

The wash is a really thin liquid that you slosh all over the mini to accentuate details by catching the recesses on the figure once it's painted, but there's a skill and nuance to it that I haven't managed to master yet.

http://www.how-to-paint-miniatures.com/miniature_painting_washing.html

The QS wash is a Quickshade wash. they're far superior to a lot of standard washes, they're thicker, less prone to dripping and drying in nasty areas. they're good. if i ever use Acrylic washes for toning an area, i'll grab the Armypainter Quickshades over Citadel washes any day

Thanks! I find your work and the work of the other regulars in this thread very inspiring, so it’s nice to get good feedback.

I feel like I’m starting to get a bit more confident now that I’m sort of learning the way GW sculpts are done, and how it feels to paint the various cloaks etc. I have a bit of an experiment on the go with a handful of Glavewraith Stalkers atm, to try different ways of getting the same blue/black shroud with highlights. Gonna try some cloaks with contrast paints tomorrow. 

Cracking stuff @Davros sock drawer

Those nighthaunt models are great. 

I'm finding contrast useful but hit and miss. 
grey, black, browns and beiges are really good on textures. The Primary colours I’ve tried are ok but not as good as “proper” citadel paints but certainly quicker. 

Thank you! :)

I’ve only tried two Contrast Paints so far - Wyldwood on the wooden handles of the Glaivewraiths’ er...glaives? And some Skeleton Horde on their skulls. Both applied over corax white. 

In both cases I was like - “Wow. One coat, and it’s done!”. Certainly compared to what I’d been doing before (Dryad Bark then rubbish attempts at edge highlighting on the handles, Rakarth Flesh plus Reikland Fleshshade on the skulls), it felt a lot easier and gave instant results. But I’m sure this won’t apply to every scenario. Still, they seem like a good thing to have available for specific tasks.

I am going to play with Apothecary White and Gryph Charger Grey next.

Skeleton horde is great. Useful for parchment bits and stone- used loads doing the warcry scenery. 
screaming skull is a perfect highlight for it too. 

Typhus corrosion works well with Ryza rust - it’s like a runny brown paint with gritty lumps in, you splodge that on then brush the rust over it and it catches the texture. It ruins brushes though so use an old one. 

It’s a bit tricky to photo but it gives a real texture. It’s quite dark but you can blob it on then use a wet brush to thin it out where you want it to be less pronounced. The just dry brush the crap out of it with the orange. 

B6E82DF1-B602-4361-BEFA-C199F774C14E.jpeg

this will eventually have typhus on it when he’s finished.