The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

Couple of mostly finished WIPS - Vax and Grog from Critical Role representing my PCs rogue and barbarian:

spacer.png

Tried out some contrast black on Vax. Pretty good stuff, very quick. Mini looks a bit boring overall but not sure what else to do.

spacer.png

Those look great! And it begs a question - what other mini "brands" are out there that I might not know about? I really, really like the GW stuff, but I've also enjoyed the resin printed elf character I bought from an eBay seller, and of course the Malifaux stuff.

It also begs a second question, since I noticed you'd edged your bases in orange and green - what colour do most people use to edge their bases? I'm finding black to look the sharpest - is that the most common colour, or do people really match the base edge to the rest of the model? The recommended colour for most of the GW stuff I'm painting is Dryad Bark, which I'm finding a bit, well - brown! It's probably another "Do whatever you want" type question, but I'm nevertheless curious about your preferences.

Thanks :) Generally I would do the bases with black or grey but it can be a useful way to differentiate minis. E.g. on Imperial Assault, my normal baddies have grey rims and elites have red. For these I wanted a different colour for each player so they easily stand out on the table (if we ever get to play in real life!).

For something like warhammer minis I would probably do them all with something unobtrusive as you've said, so they easily blend in with a terrain table.

I've not painted a lot of different stuff but here are some I like the look of:

Those Black Sun Miniatures look amazing! Bigger scale than GW right?

Sorry if this is becoming spam, but I’ve finished another model. It was already close to finished but I glazed her face with a fleshy wash to bring the shadows and highlights together, and made my first attempt at adding grass to the base:

1E3227D3-2DE0-47AA-BBD5-AAF8F7AE57D0.thumb.jpeg.5e6f29032568e78754d32064b0e3b918.jpeg

61F9BAF0-A63E-45A9-AC6A-67207CDA5C8E.thumb.jpeg.7d1db0e30970f0196c60b45681384e9f.jpeg

I really enjoyed this one, and although the details initially seemed quite soft in hand compared to the sharp images on the eBay store, once it was painted the details are all there. 

This is the guy on eBay. Some fun designs I think!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mechstripper63?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

19 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Hammer time!

713D988E-4724-4282-9F23-02B22486CE8E.thumb.jpeg.7b93863ff15dd605c6cf818c4e3d6d01.jpeg

Nothing special here really - just trying to get good photos. All I did was follow the Mortal Realms instructions on this one. Quite relaxing to just knock something big out like this 

Name of your sex tape.

There are fucking loads of mini studios, but there's also loads of studios that deal in busts and whatnot. When I hit the pc I'll look some sites up.

The hardest thing to deal with in regard to other mini companies is the rampant tits and arse nature of their female models. It's painfully embarrassing to see quality minis catering to such a childish aesthetic [/axetogrind]

1 minute ago, moosegrinder said:

Name of your sex tape.

There are fucking loads of mini studios, but there's also loads of studios that deal in busts and whatnot. When I hit the pc I'll look some sites up.

The hardest thing to deal with in regard to other mini companies is the rampant tits and arse nature of their female models. It's painfully embarrassing to see quality minis catering to such a childish aesthetic [/axetogrind]

I was going to say, one of the sets that were linked to above made me raise an eyebrow and move quickly on...

Just went and looked on the Hasslefree site there and hadn't realised there's a naked ("Skyclad" lol) version of a lot of their minis :lol:.

In their defence, there are as many knobs flying about there as anything else.

8 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Those Black Sun Miniatures look amazing! Bigger scale than GW right?

Sorry if this is becoming spam, but I’ve finished another model. It was already close to finished but I glazed her face with a fleshy wash to bring the shadows and highlights together, and made my first attempt at adding grass to the base:

1E3227D3-2DE0-47AA-BBD5-AAF8F7AE57D0.thumb.jpeg.5e6f29032568e78754d32064b0e3b918.jpeg

61F9BAF0-A63E-45A9-AC6A-67207CDA5C8E.thumb.jpeg.7d1db0e30970f0196c60b45681384e9f.jpeg

I really enjoyed this one, and although the details initially seemed quite soft in hand compared to the sharp images on the eBay store, once it was painted the details are all there. 

This is the guy on eBay. Some fun designs I think!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/mechstripper63?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Black Sun do some great stuff, they give the scale on the website with the model.  For example the Guardian I painted was 75mm scale.

9A6A3FDC-9FE8-46F9-B001-697A5977E410.thumb.jpeg.9cd60f186cb3e8c36724347bf82a79ed.jpeg

27E22DFB-56F0-4C5E-9BE6-69662CDBC1A6.thumb.jpeg.1213bae5f8f4d2f36bbbe3041690592b.jpeg

8622A335-84B8-49C4-970B-6146710CC0DD.thumb.jpeg.d1ef463b9dbd2bb589f83944b6752a3d.jpeg

6D06595A-279B-420D-A84B-7CB4D063C12E.thumb.jpeg.01ab40e5d5ad5976168d7e124e4a511d.jpeg

I’ve just ordered a compressor, I don’t know why as I spend more time looking at minis on Instagram than I do painting. Hopefully this will get me painting more. Just like the desk I bought. And the sable brushes. I live in hope. 

Guys I need your help - painting green.

Ive never been good at it, and having never played orcs never really had to, but I'm following he studio scheme for this ogre and the blanket and loincloth on this guy is just way too vibrant for what I'm after. I tried toning it down with heavy washes of dark tone and highlighting up using light brown/yellow on the base colour, but it's still so vibrant to draws the eye in a bad way.

How do you guys paint muted/cloth green that blends into the background?

IAhMx8e.jpg

TxbvQDc.jpg

That does seem a bit like it’s shouting “GREEN!” a bit too loudly.

Any reason you couldn’t use the same colour that you’ve used on the small storage pouches and his feet - it’s more yellowish so might not be what you had in mind, but it would fit with the overall scheme maybe? 

21 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

That does seem a bit like it’s shouting “GREEN!” a bit too loudly.

Any reason you couldn’t use the same colour that you’ve used on the small storage pouches and his feet - it’s more yellowish so might not be what you had in mind, but it would fit with the overall scheme maybe? 

I could, but apart from trying to stick to the studio scheme, it would really make the whole model very beige and mid tone brown. Let's call this my fall back position.

54 minutes ago, Nicky said:

use army Olive Drab. / us green

I mixed up a colour for the goblin's skin that was pretty close to that. A wash of this might be the way to go.

Another Nighthaunt in progress...

CCB5B9BF-B406-414E-9E14-289FD43EABAE.thumb.jpeg.ea30e4ea3eef2fc08928110faf2d30f7.jpeg

I can only seem to pick out the raised edges on areas like the face mask by dry brushing, but it looks rather scruffy and imprecise when compared to the ref pix which of course are all edge highlighted by the GW painting ninjas. However, I thought I might use the dry-brushed areas as a guide as to where to place the lines, and then I can wash over and around to tidy up maybe. We shall see! 

I have started trying to make the axe look weathered too, but I can push that a lot more I reckon. 

11 hours ago, The Bag said:

Maybe glaze some red over it to desaturate it? 

You're the second person to suggest that. Might be a goer. I'll take Cocky's suggestion and finish the rest then might give this a go.

8 hours ago, And said:

Agrax. The answer is always agrax. :lol:

Agrax is already all over it :( 

More work on the Lion, some bits to tidy but time to attach to the base.

FC04940E-FEAD-4AE8-A41C-44AF01548A6E.thumb.jpeg.07e81a25d71238c95bbfea9ea1bf4fa7.jpeg

010F98FC-BBA0-4CDA-8C88-E78C539BADB6.thumb.jpeg.365ec9b42c3631eb00010f1ada68da3a.jpeg

27 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Can anyone recommend a light/magnifier, for the winter months and my elderly eyeballs?

Something like this? The cross-stitch brigade in the reviews seem to like it. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/the-daylight-company-led-flexilens-with-base-and-clip/637877-1000?query=magnifier

I use magnifying glasses with interchangeable strengths, similar to these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07MQD37RC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y6YNFb9QN8VQE

37 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Can anyone recommend a light/magnifier, for the winter months and my elderly eyeballs?

Something like this? The cross-stitch brigade in the reviews seem to like it. https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/the-daylight-company-led-flexilens-with-base-and-clip/637877-1000?query=magnifier

I bought something like this and ended up not using it like I thought I would. I just use the light really. What I found was the the focal range is such that you have to keep your head and your hands within quite closely defined areas. I found that an inconvenience.

I ended up buying some magnifying Google's a bit like these: 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Magnifier-Handsfree-Magnifying-Detachable-Electronic/dp/B0794PNBLT/ref=asc_df_B0794PNBLT/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309810605437&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1684202709714873373&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=t&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=pla-437914679701&psc=1

I found them much more comfortable, alongside the light I bought which cost much more but really could have been any decent daylight desk lamp.

Maybe get the goggles first and see how you go. They are not expensive.

Thanks folks. Any last, lingering thread of desire my partner had for me, will be severed when she sees me in a pair of these, but at least my space marines won’t be cross-eyed.