The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

A combination of lack of patience, shaky hands and an ill defined mini has all added up to some pretty shonky detailing. Gonna need to seriously clean him up later. It's a shame that the moulds on the Super Dungeon Explore minis is so wooly because at first glance they look ace.

EjfHrOgXYAUPA--.jpeg

EjfHqFzWkAAPQNR.jpeg

Wow. Timing. Was just having attempt 4 at playing this with the boy but gave up again as the rules are completely impenetrable. 
Thankfully he’s happy just playing with all the minis 

I found him a bit of a pain to paint. ( the forgotten king, not my son)

5 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

A combination of lack of patience, shaky hands and an ill defined mini has all added up to some pretty shonky detailing. Gonna need to seriously clean him up later. It's a shame that the moulds on the Super Dungeon Explore minis is so wooly because at first glance they look ace.

EjfHrOgXYAUPA--.jpeg

EjfHqFzWkAAPQNR.jpeg

Better.

EjgFFF8WkAAvd1r.jpeg

EjgFGfwWkAADZry.jpeg

16 hours ago, And said:

Wow. Timing. Was just having attempt 4 at playing this with the boy but gave up again as the rules are completely impenetrable. 
Thankfully he’s happy just playing with all the minis 

I found him a bit of a pain to paint. ( the forgotten king, not my son)

If you want something with cool minis, is kid-friendly, and a game that's actually fun to play, then see if you can get hold of a copy of Stuffed Fables. It's got a narrative campaign, and we played through the whole thing with my kid, who's seven, and we loved it. 

I've been very busy buying too many miniatures and not finishing any. A common ailment, I understand. I don't care though, it's fun!

However, I am going to try and actually finish some of them, so I've put most of the plastic pile away for now (I'll reveal my shame soon), and am focusing on 5 minis now.

This was a recent acquisition, a random resin printed model which I found on eBay and took a punt on. It's my first attempt at painting a face, and I was so happy I managed to get the pupils in kinda the right place that I don't really want to touch it (the face) now, even though I'm sure it could be better. 

3.thumb.jpg.de92a2ef5b14ea11fd4373a273d646be.jpg

Still got to finish the base and add some highlights to the hair, but it's not one I'm going to fiddle with for weeks and weeks. I think I need to treat each piece as practice and move on.

Looks great, doing my first decent eye was a real victory moment for me too. I always do them first now before painting the rest of the face then inevitably flood it with a wash or something and have to redo anyway :omg:

Nice. just keep in mind that white doesn't work for every model though. if your model is really dark or gritty, dark backgrounds work a lot better for the eye to see what's going on.

On 07/10/2020 at 13:54, Davros sock drawer said:

Messing around with trying to get “decent” photos of my WIP:

9C3824B3-3665-4E1A-94C2-4287F4435BBB.thumb.jpeg.176968d284fd29065bf08d7eb0d4c172.jpeg

I watched a guy on YouTube showing how to use a sheet of white paper and it seems to work pretty well. He also showed how to adjust the exposure on iphone when taking pix - mind blown! 

Can you share a link the video?

A few of you guys have spotted this on instagram already, but i got this finished and photographed:

unknown.png

P100082022.jpg

It's 1:24 scale. so you're looking at 13cm long by 6.5 wide.

ha cheers. i actually fluffed on the tyres. i didnt prepare or work on them anywhere near enough, so theres some nasty marks and lines on the tyres. i think im most proud of the wiring in the engine bay. no oil paints at all on this one. some watercolours on the rust streaks and some enamels on the general grime. no pigments either.

ModelMakingGuru started up a new series, taking tired old tabletop models off eBay and rescuing them.

I wish he'd go back to Gundam but can't deny bloke knows what he's doing.

7 hours ago, Nicky said:

apart from him using fucking detol, sure...

My nurgle tank smells very strongly of detail still. Which is an irony. 

Upcycling ebay crap makes sense though for older models. Especially if you’re going to convert them. My land raider cost me £16 and some bits from the box vs £50 new 

Spoiler

From this :27C90218-B3E1-4CCF-91AF-23126A4EF27D.thumb.png.6b54181d5137ebb7e22142802494e671.png

to this :

924E8158-7591-4713-8E5F-FA4BBF8B035F.thumb.jpeg.becf9039ac6c556a29efd67e7b249d75.jpeg

dettol did a job but this one suffered way more from the sticky black goop than last time I tried it. 
@Nicky what’s the stuff you use again?

1 hour ago, And said:

My nurgle tank smells very strongly of detail still. Which is an irony. 

Upcycling ebay crap makes sense though for older models. Especially if you’re going to convert them. My land raider cost me £16 and some bits from the box vs £50 new 

Reveal hidden contents

From this :27C90218-B3E1-4CCF-91AF-23126A4EF27D.thumb.png.6b54181d5137ebb7e22142802494e671.png

to this :

924E8158-7591-4713-8E5F-FA4BBF8B035F.thumb.jpeg.becf9039ac6c556a29efd67e7b249d75.jpeg

dettol did a job but this one suffered way more from the sticky black goop than last time I tried it. 
@Nicky what’s the stuff you use again?

Wilko's paint stripper.

Screenshot_20201012-090827.thumb.jpg.9bda97b3f38b137b7a3779070fc1bbe3.jpg

Nicky's right, it's the daddy.  

He uses Dettol because he spent a few years just doing Gundam, and Bandai's plastic is incredibly sensitive to many chemicals. Dettol is known not to affect it or many other plastics, so that's what he uses. It works, there's other things you can use (which he references) but that's what he's used to using.