The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

A glaze is diluted paint. If you look at the metal shoulder pad you can see a patch of turquoise which was done with one layer of diluted paint. The rust and dirt was done with stippling thicker paint. As to where it's up to you, just don't do it everywhere or you lose the effect. For example you could put some orange  around a few of the nails or on some of the chain links.

Here are some crates I did recently. I didn't use such strong colours because it wasn't in keeping with the rest of the project but if you look close you can see some greenish areas and some reddish areas and this creates more interest in what would otherwise be a large flat bit.

ACtC-3d2GM6KV0qLwwRWBjXCyihBuqzY5e86r5sm

ACtC-3c6ANsv-_kHbE_aFHaqeIFF5RGDDh2aqAzt

Last night I went back to the jacket and went with an aged leather look built up via layers of texture (black & ivory) and the layers of inks & washes (browns, oranges, greens), repeat.  Think it gives a good effect.

3B63BBC2-8621-47F1-9E1A-21D5CD7157F9.thumb.jpeg.2d6811c09c8a0dd703afe6da33c34b26.jpeg

31E59739-B4E0-4E93-8D47-693D32FAF0AD.thumb.jpeg.4a3137edcd084a9f548188349e1d77d9.jpeg

B25FA91F-54DC-45F0-AE3F-A3A186863E29.thumb.jpeg.0beafb9b33b953dd0a54a158d5fba802.jpeg

In tonight’s lesson, eye lenses for on of Abaddon’s trophies.

4407F433-D464-44DE-9C68-936AF06FAD17.thumb.jpeg.c6c2ae3ebdf6840902b88033d62e8e33.jpeg

90B35A2A-A3EF-464B-A899-B89F2B620106.thumb.jpeg.3dfaa44ec4fbd0562ed272541156ab7e.jpeg

Work in progress on the Brutal Emissary:

D55F6743-3AA5-4991-8BE3-42B5C254D5E0.thumb.jpeg.04345ec9cb65a6157c4edaacabc061e1.jpeg

389C2447-5583-44F9-9E03-C35CA866E0B8.thumb.jpeg.3e5be4c356340a7aafd974d2acfd5587.jpeg

7CE3515E-6799-4409-8240-1B15DEAFA5CA.thumb.jpeg.1d2cf912879308c87c40a57e1cfd9155.jpeg

I think I need to blend the various shades of blue a bit more - at the moment if I squint it looks like what I’m going for, but the brush strokes are a bit too obvious on the skirt in particular.

Quite pleased with the skull. Haven’t decided on a colour for the legs yet.

3 hours ago, The Bag said:

Last night I went back to the jacket and went with an aged leather look built up via layers of texture (black & ivory) and the layers of inks & washes (browns, oranges, greens), repeat.  Think it gives a good effect.

3B63BBC2-8621-47F1-9E1A-21D5CD7157F9.thumb.jpeg.2d6811c09c8a0dd703afe6da33c34b26.jpeg

Always good to see Confrontation on the page.

6 hours ago, Cocky said:

@Davros sock drawer You model is looking very good. One piece of advice; don't bother with blending. Spend you time on adding details, contrast and texture as these will make your model your a lot more interesting a smooth blend and are also more enjoyable to paint.

Thanks! To be honest I’m enjoying all

of it, but I think I know what you mean. I especially enjoy shading I think. I added a tiny bit of Nuln oil to the coffin, just around the nails, and it added yet more contrast. I’m struggling a bit with accuracy, especially on these Cursebreakers I got with Mortal Realms, as the details are so close together, but they’re coming together now after a round of “great, now there’s white on the dark blue. Oh fuck, now there’s dark blue on the white” and so ad infinitum.

All of this has inspired me to dig out an unfinished project. I’m not sure if any of you will remember, but years ago I sculpted a head of Doomlord in Sculpey at 1/12 scale (the guy in my avatar from the 80’s Eagle Comic). I made several casts in resin, but never got a satisfactory paint job. Time to try again I think...

12B2A0A3-1FF9-4F05-9778-E030F9D3B379.thumb.jpeg.77d0fa062ac5c9cf675e45bc3adf4863.jpeg

D06D6580-E32D-44D9-8853-10059A51ABCB.thumb.jpeg.c27e3f49903f7698593ca914a6c6add2.jpeg

Very kind of you to say, thank you! 

I’m enjoying myself quite a bit, although I have too many minis on the go at once now, a common occurrence I understand. 

I’m trying to follow the official Games Workshop painting instructions on their minis, just to practice my accuracy and build my confidence. I’m finding the Citadel paints really nice to use, especially the so-called “Technical” paints like Nihilakh Oxide and Hexwraith Flame. But also the “Shade” paints are perfect for washes - being pre-diluted it removes all the worry about how much to thin them, and I find the detail is so good on the models now it can make you feel like a painting ninja when you flood the area and all the details miraculously pop out.

Here’s one of the Nighthaunts I have on the go. It’s amazing how much slop you can find when you take pictures - I thought this was looking Ok in hand! Lots of tidying up to do, but at least you can’t go wrong with that Green Hexwraith Flame :wub:

9339BB96-9B6B-490E-92D7-07230C0B7321.thumb.jpeg.3fbbf0708fcba6f5f93cca6a818fb1fa.jpeg

20 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Very kind of you to say, thank you! 

I’m enjoying myself quite a bit, although I have too many minis on the go at once now, a common occurrence I understand. 

I’m trying to follow the official Games Workshop painting instructions on their minis, just to practice my accuracy and build my confidence. I’m finding the Citadel paints really nice to use, especially the so-called “Technical” paints like Nihilakh Oxide and Hexwraith Flame. But also the “Shade” paints are perfect for washes - being pre-diluted it removes all the worry about how much to thin them, and I find the detail is so good on the models now it can make you feel like a painting ninja when you flood the area and all the details miraculously pop out.

Here’s one of the Nighthaunts I have on the go. It’s amazing how much slop you can find when you take pictures - I thought this was looking Ok in hand! Lots of tidying up to do, but at least you can’t go wrong with that Green Hexwraith Flame :wub:

9339BB96-9B6B-490E-92D7-07230C0B7321.thumb.jpeg.3fbbf0708fcba6f5f93cca6a818fb1fa.jpeg

Coelia greenshade goes brill over the nihilakh oxide if you want more contrast. 

It’s a bluey green so I’d give it a test before committing. 
If you haven’t got the citadel paint app it’s worth getting as shows what paints combo well. 

I’ve been doing my skitaari in a bluey green that’s stegadon scale / coelia/ sotek green / temple guard blue. 

2 hours ago, And said:

It’s a bluey green so I’d give it a test before committing. 
If you haven’t got the citadel paint app it’s worth getting as shows what paints combo well. 

I’ve been doing my skitaari in a bluey green that’s stegadon scale / coelia/ sotek green / temple guard blue. 

Yeah, the app is great, although it contradicts the painting instructions in these Mortal Realms mags. I guess there’s no definitive scheme though. 

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

@The Bag You're getting there. Do you paint with skin reference photos to hand when you work on skin?

Not for this one as kind of going for a bit of an unreal skin tone.  Still using the colour zones of the face to give a bit of life, although I have added any blue (beyond what’s already there) into the lower part.  I’m open to suggestions.

5 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yeah, the app is great, although it contradicts the painting instructions in these Mortal Realms mags. I guess there’s no definitive scheme though. 

I think the Mortal Realms paint guides are designed so that they only use paints that you should already have got with a subscription. So they are different for a good reason: To support those getting into it that way.

Don't feel compelled to follow them if you have other paints too.

18 hours ago, The Bag said:

Not for this one as kind of going for a bit of an unreal skin tone.  Still using the colour zones of the face to give a bit of life, although I have added any blue (beyond what’s already there) into the lower part.  I’m open to suggestions.

As a general suggestion, I reckon when painting this sort of thing, it's helpful to look at the work of great fantasy artists, as much as photographs.  Frank Frazetta's artwork is an invaluable resource.  He was a master at using colour, and everyone in his paintings is basically nude, so there's a lot of skintones to refer to.  

You can also refer to skintones from the animal kingdon for inspiration.  I spend a lot of time looking at pictures of fish when contemplating colours.

@RFT Nice work, they look great on the table.