The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

I did not realise that one could buy a sort of Miniature Magazine in Tesco’s (or wherever) with (in this case) three minis for £7.99.  I’m not into the games so I’ve no idea who these Stormsire guys are but they look perfect for trying my hand at painting them, and the quality of sculpting is leagues above what I remember from the metal figures of my youth:

71FC1075-7493-4AA6-8718-CADBB065309B.jpeg.cbf60b98755e97bb635f35d27e0be466.jpeg

(he’s not put together properly there - need to trim the sprue remnants)

I also took a punt on some Malifaux minis as the horror vibe appealed to me. I ordered a pair of Dead Doxies which have yet to arrive, but I love the look of this guy (a “Brutal emissary”) so I might order him next:

1FAF3B62-F20B-45B0-BAEE-4957F08C5103.thumb.jpeg.5bddc255bbb7c6e3a628ad16a4eb3f48.jpeg

Anyone have experience with these guys?

The Stormcasts are excellent for learning and experimenting on. Great big minis, bold sculpts, lots of detail to get your teeth into. If you're going from scale modelling to tabletop minis, the most important thing to remember is to really push the contrast, the brightness of the highlights, the depth of the shadows. Also, remember you are painting fantasy miniatures, so use whatever colours you like. 

Enjoy, and post the results. :D

13 hours ago, Davros sock drawer said:

I did not realise that one could buy a sort of Miniature Magazine in Tesco’s (or wherever) with (in this case) three minis for £7.99.  I’m not into the games so I’ve no idea who these Stormsire guys are but they look perfect for trying my hand at painting them, and the quality of sculpting is leagues above what I remember from the metal figures of my youth:

71FC1075-7493-4AA6-8718-CADBB065309B.jpeg.cbf60b98755e97bb635f35d27e0be466.jpeg

(he’s not put together properly there - need to trim the sprue remnants)

I also took a punt on some Malifaux minis as the horror vibe appealed to me. I ordered a pair of Dead Doxies which have yet to arrive, but I love the look of this guy (a “Brutal emissary”) so I might order him next:

1FAF3B62-F20B-45B0-BAEE-4957F08C5103.thumb.jpeg.5bddc255bbb7c6e3a628ad16a4eb3f48.jpeg

Anyone have experience with these guys?

Big 'faux player here. The models are great, second to none on the market in terms of design anf detail.

However, be prepared to ask yourse;f "What the fuck?!" several times when you see how the miniatures are put together on the sprue.

Also, if you're planning on playing (and you should) the Dead Doxies and the Brutal Emmisary are in seperate factions.  This the Emirrsary ofor the Doxies, and he's awesome.

carrionemissary.jpg

Contrast paints. Marvelous! Took an hour or so if you discount drying time:

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200831132353698_COVER.thumb.jpg.f0334e4ae8090bc9b77807677b713d8b.jpg

To be fair, miniature like this probably suit them well. Not too much worrying about going outside the lines.

Thanks for all the tips and info guys. I'm not at all interested in the gaming side of this, so I'm not fussed about factions etc - I just want to paint a few cool looking miniatures.

Really enjoying painting these figures that came with the Mortal Realms mag. And I see on the GW website that these three (Stormsire's Cursebreakers) are normally £15, so £7.99 including painting instructions seems extremely good value to me!

The "Shade" paint is a really good consistency for washes. Having struggled to get a good flow on my various Airfix/Tamiya aircraft, this stuff is a bit of a revelation, and I may well use it on my next 'plane.

All I've done so far is three base coats of Retributor Armour, and then the wash of Reikland Fleshshade, as per the instructions. Already the contrast created by the wash is rather eye-catching. Alas, the set of paints I bought didn't include any Stormhost Silver, which is what I need to do the next stage of dry-brushing the armour, but I have loads of Humbrol Metallic paint, so I'm going to go off-piste and use some of that.

Meanwhile I nabbed the latest Mortal Realms issue while doing my weekly shop, so I now have some Spirit Hosts in the queue, as well as the Dead Doxies (which were a bit of a pain to put together), and the Brutal Emissary is on order too. Oops.

Work in Progress:

6.thumb.jpg.a70a3ef2378fe1b6c56681839e444adb.jpg

1.thumb.jpg.d40b06dd231f855eae42d9abcbc388e7.jpg

5.thumb.jpg.02862a8132629a8b3a9252bef27583f7.jpg

Finished the others in an afternoon.

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200902150510950_COVER.thumb.jpg.95e49dd2152746182d785e59ebbe85a2.jpg

Enjoyed these a lot. The contrast paints sped me through to the bits I enjoy the most: The finishing highlights, detailing and basing. 

I, uh... just built a Revell click version of my third favourite plane.

9EFA2167-72A6-4809-AEA6-8DA5B4BE0642.thumb.jpeg.83ab53667afdd9b132c4cfb1cc85cd41.jpeg79E43010-C215-4E52-9C8E-C4A4914130B1.thumb.jpeg.af1d3b8e14e9420f11ac7c4b2b50c3c8.jpeg4FBED745-5BD8-437E-BD90-D591AD89CBBB.thumb.jpeg.1157758210679f3be87485e8b24a63be.jpeg

it was mostly to sneak the 2020 Lego HP advent calendar into the house, but I think I’ve rediscovered the bug.

A10 Thunderbolt II next.

”go ugly early...”

[edit]

1:72

Edited by SeanR
added scale... for scale

@JoeK Any chance of a slight amendment to the thread title buddy? "Miniatures and scale model appreciation thread?" as theres a few of us around here that do such a thing now?

forgot to add, obligatory pictures:

Ive been building a Little Grey Fergie. it was missing something so last night i decided to add some spark plug leads, and cables:

unknown.png

4 minutes ago, Nicky said:

@JoeK Any chance of a slight amendment to the thread title buddy? "Miniatures and scale model appreciation thread?" as theres a few of us around here that do such a thing now?

forgot to add, obligatory pictures:

Ive been building a Little Grey Fergie. it was missing something so last night i decided to add some spark plug leads, and cables:

unknown.png

Yup, I will do this now :)

its exactly as it was, only added scale model stuff can go in here because in reality theres 2-3 people that do scale stuff, and it's so similar to miniature painting it might as well roll in. What if you're painting Flames of War, or Bolt Action? they're scale models.

Gunpla has its own healthy thread already.

Citadel stuff is made by GW so goes in the GW thread? i dont see a problem, its not like suddenly 3000 new posters are going to start padding the size of this thread.

You put whatever model related stuff you want in this thread! I really don't give a stuff :) . I'd encourage folk to put GW painted stuff in this thread as well as the main GW thread too to be honest!

I suspect we're all in agreement over one thing - we all want to see pretty models.

2 hours ago, JoeK said:

I'd encourage folk to put GW painted stuff in this thread as well as the main GW thread too to be honest!

What I do. It's striked... strike? Stroked? Struck? ....I've found it odd for a while that there's a seperate GW thread when, as JoeK says, we all just want to see pretty models. And it's not like either thread moves at lightning speed.

If you want to add more contrast to the coffin try painting a few spots or glazes of strong colours, selectively, here and there. I would go with dark blue and green on the wood, and red and orange on the metal. It's something Sergio Calvo does to great effect on all of his models.

DiZ46I0XkAE5mo8?format=jpg&name=900x900