The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

Some amazing work in this thread.

I quite fancy having a crack at a couple of minis. I’ve been building and painting Airfix type kits recently, and getting quite good at it (washes, weathering etc) so I have a decent supply of paints and brushes etc. But I haven’t bought a miniature since the mid-90’s when they were still made of metal.

Can anyone recommend me a good quality figure or set of figure that might suit a quietly confident semi-beginner? I don’t really mind what the subject matter is, but horror or sci-fi might be fun.

19 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Some amazing work in this thread.

I quite fancy having a crack at a couple of minis. I’ve been building and painting Airfix type kits recently, and getting quite good at it (washes, weathering etc) so I have a decent supply of paints and brushes etc. But I haven’t bought a miniature since the mid-90’s when they were still made of metal.

Can anyone recommend me a good quality figure or set of figure that might suit a quietly confident semi-beginner? I don’t really mind what the subject matter is, but horror or sci-fi might be fun.

The minis that Games Workshop are now producing are far superior to the stuff the released in the 90s. If you have a GW near you then perhaps pop in a see what catches your eye. Check out the new necrons, they look great, are easy to paint and there are tons floating about on eBay from the new Indomitus box set, you can get some bargain prices for them at the moment.

33 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

The minis that Games Workshop are now producing are far superior to the stuff the released in the 90s. If you have a GW near you then perhaps pop in a see what catches your eye. Check out the new necrons, they look great, are easy to paint and there are tons floating about on eBay from the new Indomitus box set, you can get some bargain prices for them at the moment.

Those look great! Exactly the sort of intel I needed too, thank you.

....and the finished warsuit. I’m being less finickity about painting now and decided I want them on the tabletop for games and have a large back log, so just need to get them to a semi decent level, past this point it’s diminishing returns. I learnt a few lessons with this one. Don’t use the same water that a brush with typhus corrosion has been cleaned in - there are little bits all over it - only noticed when the base coat had dried. And also, painting large flat panels caused the thin coat to pool at the bottom of the plate causing an uneven paint - oh well. Next!

3BF3312A-BB7F-4ED3-BC3E-936D2463CB95.jpeg

At what point are you done with a model? I blasted through Robby G in a few days and looking at the pic I can see areas I can neaten  up, but it’s diminishing returns. I’d rather start something new than painstakingly correct areas that the naked eye won’t notice. I guess the question is - at what point do you consider a model finished?

C0B3E594-E5D3-4DFE-A3F7-836FDCB22803.jpeg

2 hours ago, erhgiez said:

At what point are you done with a model? I blasted through Robby G in a few days and looking at the pic I can see areas I can neaten  up, but it’s diminishing returns. I’d rather start something new than painstakingly correct areas that the naked eye won’t notice. I guess the question is - at what point do you consider a model finished?

C0B3E594-E5D3-4DFE-A3F7-836FDCB22803.jpeg

It’s looking good.

I guess for me it’s done when I stop working on it.  That sounds counterintuitive but there’s always something you can do, and if you’re anything like me you’re never completely happy so even with bits I’m pretty happy with I’ll just try tweak this, fuck now it’s ruined & I've gotta redo it.  Suddenly I’ve suck multiple hours into something that was probably good enough a long time ago.

There’s definitely diminishing returns.  Vince’s video talks about that sort of thing, and how what aiming at different levels mean.  I’m not painting to play with or for commission so there’s nothing to stop me endlessly fiddling.  I think his advice about knowing what you’re aiming for is good, set your expectations.

Camera’s are great to see areas for improvement but also awful for the same reason.  I don’t think I’ve posted a pic here without thinking I need to fix that.  I’m probably the worst person to give a view on this I’m never really happy with anything I produce.

Finally going back to this huge lump of resin to try out my new airbrush setup.  It’s going to take a bit to learn to work with a real compressor with some power rather than the wee thing I had before.

I redid the coat as I wasn’t happy with the green direction.  S75 black leather, violet ink to shade, black leather + white + yellow to highlight.  The a filter layer of black leather to pull it back from the extremes, and now it’s probably too subtle :lol:

FD369B85-35FB-4069-A980-4CE53CA9B468.thumb.jpeg.c3557df9f13d4fd0492946506617b95f.jpeg

Solid work @Dave White  I'm a sucker for details. and the grubby walkway and aluminium chipped paintwork are well done. You can get scale bootprint stamps and silicon hand print tools somewhere for adding that nice human touch to areas like this.  I have a 1/24 scale spitfire from Trumpeter to tackle one day.

40 minutes ago, Nicky said:

Solid work @Dave White  I'm a sucker for details. and the grubby walkway and aluminium chipped paintwork are well done. You can get scale bootprint stamps and silicon hand print tools somewhere for adding that nice human touch to areas like this.  I have a 1/24 scale spitfire from Trumpeter to tackle one day.

Thanks man. Ooh nice I’ll have a look for those hand print and boot prints sound amazing. Just bought a hgw models me109. 

That looks fantastic, @Dave White. Are you going to paint some miniatures as well?

@The Bag looking good. I think you're right that it's too subtle though. You've killed the contrast a bit. Contrast is absolutely the number one most important part of creating eye-catching miniatures. In general, your work is really good, and your willingness to learn new (and very advanced) techniques is admirable and inspiring. I think what you sometimes need to do is push the contrast. Deeper shadows, and lighter highlights. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. 

I always struggle with contrast, thinking I’ve gone too far and others saying it’s not far enough.  Today was a mistake though, it’d pretty much gone to almost ivory, then I was trying to tint it but obviously didn’t thin things enough.

20 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

That looks fantastic, @Dave White. Are you going to paint some miniatures as well?

@The Bag looking good. I think you're right that it's too subtle though. You've killed the contrast a bit. Contrast is absolutely the number one most important part of creating eye-catching miniatures. In general, your work is really good, and your willingness to learn new (and very advanced) techniques is admirable and inspiring. I think what you sometimes need to do is push the contrast. Deeper shadows, and lighter highlights. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all turns out. 

you know I might have a go, techniques have gone so far forward since I last painted one 36 years ago, all that modular stuff looks amazing, some great work in here too love @erhgiez warsuit above, superb skills. I remember having a painting session with my mate and he actually started doing the whole flame light reflections way back but never carried on with it.

Back in the day these were my obsession C35 Chaos Knights top right was my favourite of all time.

c35chaosknightsc2 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

That Spitfire looks awesome @Dave White - I have t been brave enough to try any chipping yet. Did you use chipping fluid or stipple it on top? 

I’ve been dabbling with Photo Etch for the first time. It’s the most fiddly thing I’ve ever done. One of the parts (a “joystick” for a gun turret) was so small that when trimming it with a (probably too blunt) scalpel, it simply disappeared into the Slice I’d made in the cutting mat!

I’m not sure I’d use it again for cockpit interiors, as I think painting is more fun, but I’d use PE again for seatbelts:

CE05A841-636F-45ED-B6AE-839092989432.thumb.jpeg.e414eec1d3d75b66abf4328842edf68b.jpeg

hey @Davros sock drawer thanks man and right back at you. In regards to photo etch you really need a dedicated cutter and super glue or a resin glue normal cement wont fix them. Either way so bloody fiddly,  I was doing my cockpit with the same on the spitfire. was cross eyed by the end of that.

I did a bit of both with the chipping, there's a proper set of rules for doing it such as priming black, then silver base coat, then chipping fluid  then your camouflage colour, then you can chip.

There are some amazing technical books that really helped me a lot get some amazing tips and techniques.

these are absolutely superb and there are 4

Screenshot 2020-08-19 at 09.07.36.png

Yeah, I've been using Superglue and it's a bloody nightmare!

That book looks great. I've mainly been watching Youtube videos, but a lot of the really good guys use airbrush. I've been using rattle cans lately to quickly base coat, and that's made things a lot better, even quickly doing all the small parts blu-tacked to a lolly stick!

Edit: Funnily enough I've just started a Corsair like the one on that cover!

48 minutes ago, Davros sock drawer said:

Yeah, I've been using Superglue and it's a bloody nightmare!

That book looks great. I've mainly been watching Youtube videos, but a lot of the really good guys use airbrush. I've been using rattle cans lately to quickly base coat, and that's made things a lot better, even quickly doing all the small parts blu-tacked to a lolly stick!

Edit: Funnily enough I've just started a Corsair like the one on that cover!

I use an airbrush and the difference in your finish is night and day, there some amazing Iwata copies on amazon for 20 pounds and I cant tell the difference having both. Your biggest expense is the compressor but once you have one its for life.

The best piece of kit I have and is worth every penny is a harder and steenbeck infinity its an incredible airbrush and the best part is it breaks down so easily to clean and is just superb. 

There are a million videos on airbrushing and the fine art of thinking your paints but after a ton of experiments I use Tamiya and you basically mix it 2 parts paint to one part thinner and you're golden. 

Look forward to seeing the corsair and btw have you used Hannants store? Its incredibly good.

Yes, I must admit I am tempted, but I want to give it some time to see if this is just a lockdown fad or not (I'm thinking not, as I'm on my 8th kit) :lol:

I'm currently working on the bigger brother of this, which I finished in 1/72 scale a few weeks back.

2.thumb.jpg.678a046b3832812cc17ef83884e9def3.jpg3.thumb.jpg.b07d84043b221fe46c615327192916da.jpg1.thumb.jpg.505c8d8c264173412502878001ad9804.jpg

I am aware of Hannants, but don't think I've ordered anything yet.

And I do still plan to buy some minis - pay day tomorrow in fact. :)

@Dave White @Davros sock drawer Its great seeing more scale work in here. If you guys want some more tutorial / resources for chipping/ weathering / paint process then i have a series of longform realtime videos covering full painting of 3 models here:

First is painting german grey on a tank with enamels and oils from plastic to finished in under 9 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472194790?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

next up is another tank, this time a panther but burned out with the effect done using enamels over acrylics. around 10 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/558204799?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

and lastly the best one being the painting of a route 66 petrol pump using a lot of AK weathering pencils and chiping medium etc. over 11 hours.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/703346650?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

p1.jpg

I stream painting and modelling 4 nights a week at the moment Thursday (dioramas and scenery), Saturday (giant space robots, 40k stuff, machinery etc). Sunday (scale models) and Monday (miniatures) from 8pm at http://www.twitch.tv/soulwaystudios  feel free to pop in and ask any questions you may have. Also i have a 45 minute primer on airbrush cleaning and maintenence up on youtube

On 19/08/2020 at 12:47, Nicky said:

@Dave White @Davros sock drawer Its great seeing more scale work in here. If you guys want some more tutorial / resources for chipping/ weathering / paint process then i have a series of longform realtime videos covering full painting of 3 models here:

First is painting german grey on a tank with enamels and oils from plastic to finished in under 9 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/472194790?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

next up is another tank, this time a panther but burned out with the effect done using enamels over acrylics. around 10 hours

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/558204799?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

and lastly the best one being the painting of a route 66 petrol pump using a lot of AK weathering pencils and chiping medium etc. over 11 hours.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/703346650?collection=QbdUAh03vhUhEA

Reveal hidden contents

p1.jpg

I stream painting and modelling 4 nights a week at the moment Thursday (dioramas and scenery), Saturday (giant space robots, 40k stuff, machinery etc). Sunday (scale models) and Monday (miniatures) from 8pm at http://www.twitch.tv/soulwaystudios  feel free to pop in and ask any questions you may have. Also i have a 45 minute primer on airbrush cleaning and maintenence up on youtube

cheers fella

oh and @Davros sock drawer wow those goblin fantatics are a blast from the past, loved those, boomerang guy was ace