The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

56 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Did some painting!

Cleaned up the glow from the collar ring, lot tidier now but I need to knock it back - it’s now the highest value bit of the model & takes away the focus from the face.

D5C3E099-AE14-4D78-B31B-58F9CF283A93.thumb.jpeg.affdad9f4550d055980b5119fd9ed2b4.jpeg

Started on a crackle design on the talon.  The inspiration for this is a memory both myself & my teacher have a memory of an Abaddon in a 90s White Dwarf with that.

592247DD-2478-454C-BFB0-388C53346292.thumb.jpeg.9f030120c0fe9dd4058e7dd04cc18208.jpeg

Loving the weathering on the metal. What’s the secret? Also, the base from the previous post with him in, is that custom? Is it stirland mud mixed with skulls? Looks great!

6 hours ago, Nicky said:

I painted a mini the other week. Don't think i posted it here though. :P

Wow! That looks real. The corrosion is amazing. I need to try and do some weathering effects.

the trim on The Bag's lovely giant Abaddon looks to be a dark metal base, possibly washed, then different metal brightnessess stippled on top. you can layer this up and up and up. layers of metal, a nice wash for the tone you're wanting, then more stipple, the wash will deaden the metal, the stipples of metal will add that lovely beaten war worn look. when i generally do this, i start with a Scale75 Decayed metal, then stipple / dry apply some scale75 Viking Gold, then wash, then more viking gold stipples and then start to add in some Vallejo Metal Color chrome  in little bits as you build the colour up.
Not trying to steal The Bag's thunder i just find it interesting disecting a technique then hearing how it's actually been done :)

15 minutes ago, erhgiez said:

Loving the weathering on the metal. What’s the secret? Also, the base from the previous post with him in, is that custom? Is it stirland mud mixed with skulls? Looks great!

nothing custom, he’s a statue Forge World produced about 20 years ago.  He stands about 8” tall with all his spikes & everything, so I’m cheating & not doing this at 28/32mm scale (whatever GW is at these days.  Here’s an old photo of him vs a little primaris diorama thing I stuck together one weekend:

2DEBC9F9-C6A5-4C12-B10E-E58758F08DC4.thumb.jpeg.9297c15449f5a85a34ed5bff92cb4b16.jpeg

The skulls are all a dark olive green the stippled with progressively lighter layers.  Nice textured effect.

The metal is based in scale 75 Decayed Metal mixed with few drops of violet ink (S75 Inktensity violet in this case) to corrupt the colour a bit.

Then it was all gone over with a mix of lamp black & burnt umber oil paint, which was left for a short while to cure & stain the underlying layer.  The it was rubbed off using cotton buds (sometimes a little solvent if left too long & it wasn’t lifting), this is really satisfying, like polishing metal to a shine.

All the highlighting is done with a sponge to given texture - there’s actually a lot of sculpted texture on this, but more never hurts.  It makes the metal look pitted & imperfect, kinda want Abaddon’s armour to look like it’s been through the centuries of war.  I just used bits of the sponge you get in GW packaging, makeup sponges are good but I didn’t have any.  The highlights were, all scale 75, Dwarven Gold (might be Elven, but pretty sure it’s Dwarven cause it’s warmer), then some Citrine Alchemy (a white goldy type colour, bad description, very good colour to highlight gold with), then very sparing Peridot Alchemy to suggest a even stronger reflection of light/sky colour in places.  Even there on the talon facing up I’ve tried to be really sparing with the peridot, keep it to edges or near scratches.

@Nicky it might be Viking gold… why can’t I remember which gold it is.  This is bad, cause I tidied my desk the other day, rather than having the 3 paints I used just sitting out all the time :facepalm:

Decayed metal has to be one of my favourite colours.

Haven’t tried the Vallejo metal colours yet, but have a friend who swears by jet exhaust.

@The Bag thanks for that, wasn't too far off it looks great.. ive been adding a muted violet ink over my base golds on the chaos knight ive been working on recently its neat.  yeah Viking gold has a lovely reddish tone to it and i find it the closest to decayed metal.  dwarven is the "pure gold" as far as im concerned. and i very very rarely use Elven Gold. it seperates far too quickly and is too green for my tastes.

What i have been doing lately working with gold, is doing my gold make up like above, then breaking out the really silvery gold Darkstar Molten Metal golds for final shine highlights because they're far superior in reflective shine than the scalecolours. the Darkstars are dreadful for coverage though. can highly recommend "darkstar imperial gold" and "darkstar Fine gold" for bright shiny shizzle

1 hour ago, The Bag said:

@Cocky I know you've done tutorials in the past (I think it was you anyway), do you have one for the Hulk?  That green is just :wub:

No I never did Hulk; larger models tend to involve a bit more playing around until things look right. I am trying to be more systematic nowadays and at some point I'd like to make more tutorials but it's finding the time and motivation.

I had another go at my second set of poxwalkers. Was using different and more varied paints and washes this time. I tried rusting for the first time, it was great fun :)

DSC04860.jpg

18 hours ago, Cocky said:

So I'm a bit behind with my posting. This time around though it's because I've been too busy! Between painting for 10 hours a day and keeping up with everything that's going I've not had time for anything else. Things are starting to settle down and not having to chase after work is freeing up some mental energy so I'll be catching up with all of my finished projects soon enough.

First up are some more Marvel Crisis models. Still not convinced with these, assembly is so annoying and the details are very soft. That said Thor and Valkyrie were quite fun to do and are probably my favourites so far.

image-asset.jpeg?format=800w

Those are so crisp! How long does each one take you? Do you use an air brush at all?

1 hour ago, erhgiez said:

Those are so crisp! How long does each one take you? Do you use an air brush at all?

Marvel miniatures take 4-7 hours depending on the size. I do use an airbrush but not in the conventional way. I use a brush to paint the model to about 90% then use the airbrush to blend, boost the colors, and deepen the shading. It's a very quick way to paint as it allows me to be quite aggressive with my layering and not worry to much about color selection. 

This astronaut project is meant to be quick & fun.  So I tried an airbrushed lava base - the idea is they’ve picked a really bad landing spot and are sinking.

So quick & fun… got it to a place where I was happy with it.

Then I improved it and had to do it again.

And one more time.

9BD2F5B7-0064-4053-A034-94D6F544B4BD.thumb.jpeg.7ad38d33526ef2f831a38cc809b6d504.jpeg

I’ve come to the conclusion my sculpted ripples are shit - couldn’t find any sculpting tools on Saturday so was using a tooth pick & brush.  It got to the point I’d convinced myself I don’t have any, I don’t really sculpt just gap fill & it’s been that sort of lockdown.  I just found them 5 mins ago while looking for something else :doh:

Think I’m going to try disguise my shitness with crackle paint, I started a few experiments earlier as I’ve never used it.

8AE88AE4-8346-4DCE-A16E-12BE246F60E7.thumb.jpeg.c01f798c7a8a7a259fb107fcf3e4579b.jpeg

7 hours ago, The Bag said:

@Cocky do you put a general filter over everything or do you do specific transitions - like take the highlight colour & do the transition between midtone & highlight?  

A mix of both. For blending large areas like Thor's cloak I'll focus  on the transition. Shading tends to be more general as you can see on Hulk. I don't go too wild with the colors like Sergio as that doesn't fit my style but it's still very satisfying to play around with the airbrush this way.

_DSC0028.jpg?format=750w

Added some crackle paint, took a knife to my crappy sculpting, re-airbrushed it, and am blacking the rocks in black.  Not going to be black, more a moon rock grey I think.

E4C419F4-DAE7-4B65-BCBF-70F4762C49B7.thumb.jpeg.d71c2179e04df583c6c7c5709a8d6541.jpeg

If you have a desk that can take a clamp, the tertial lights from ikea are the best to get. They are very solidly made and very cheap (at least they are here). The bulbs are a bit yellowish for my taste so you'll also want a couple of 5000K or over bulbs. All in mine cost about $50 for two lights and four extra bulbs.