The Miniatures and Scale model appreciation thread

15 hours ago, Mikes said:

So when can we expect that guide? ;) 

Sooner than you might think. It’s going fairly well...whether or not it will be of any help to anyone is another matter...

2 hours ago, Aluco said:

Sorry to hear that feltmonkey. I hope the source of stress is relieved soon.

What's happening?

Not sure if I will have a job to go back to after lockdown, that's all.  I work in retail, for a "troubled" chain.  

It's all good at the moment though - I'm furloughed on 80% pay for doing no work and am ending up with more money than I would have if I was working!  :lol:

I'm probably being a bit melodramatic, as nothing is concrete yet about my work's future, but making some money selling off the hundreds of minis I have in display cabinets is something we've discussed if things go bad, as is me taking commissions, probably mixing this with being a stay-at-home parent.  We can't be too badly off considering we spent £900 on a PC a few weeks ago.  You just get these "oh shit, what if?" moments and I was having one when I posted.  Thanks for the concern though, it's lovely how everyone here is trying to help each other out with a bit of mental support.

@JoeK - I'd be fascinated to read a guide of your process.  The work you produce is so unique and beautiful.

On 14/05/2020 at 18:06, feltmonkey said:

@JoeK - I'd be fascinated to read a guide of your process.  The work you produce is so unique and beautiful.

Well, you can find the tutorial here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LBxXnRzKGoWsS7uNvor-mXcRXHmEW8fa

It kind of expanded into something more than I thought it was going to be, but I'm a sucker for getting stuck into a project :) .  It's quite a large file though...

titlepagesmall.thumb.jpg.29f0af2c23277c4fb14ba0b96d1dc0dd.jpg

7 hours ago, Mikes said:

Jesus Christ....

gU3budH.jpg

Belisarius Cawl discovering a sample of the Primarch’s Genetic material in a fortified stasis chamber, circa 40,000 ad, colourised. 

3 hours ago, erhgiez said:

I’ve been getting into painting minis over the last few weeks, absolutely loving it. Very meditative which is what i needed.

8B7C2DFB-5371-45F3-882D-709F029EC804.jpeg

Ah, one of those "I've never painted minis before" posts that make those of us who have been doing it for years wish death and/or blindness on someone we've never met....

Great work, mate.

3 minutes ago, Mikes said:

Ah, one of those "I've never painted minis before" posts that make those of us who have been doing it for years wish death and/or blindness on someone we've never met....

Great work, mate.

I’ve watched A LOT of tutorials and really got into it, they aren’t that good, the camera hides some sloppy work. But trying new things each time. Trying to get gradient colour down next

8 hours ago, Mikes said:

eeyup :lol:

On 16/05/2020 at 19:25, JoeK said:

Well, you can find the tutorial here:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1LBxXnRzKGoWsS7uNvor-mXcRXHmEW8fa

It kind of expanded into something more than I thought it was going to be, but I'm a sucker for getting stuck into a project :) .  It's quite a large file though...

That was am amazingly thorough and well presented guide, thanks, JoeK! I hope Mike includes it in on the Twilight website.

Also, I just put an order in for my own Twilight models, because I want to see me do crappier versions of your paint jobs.

Quick and dirty paint up to tabletop quality for the Temple of Elemental Evil hero characters this weekend.  Should brighten up the game a bit.  I'm going to try and break the habit of a lifetime and do the whole set, which I think means around 24 monsters to paint up too :unsure:

IMG_0690.thumb.JPG.eba4867266e3d4d35f9d56336a0d1109.JPG

1 hour ago, moosegrinder said:

How long did thes take you?

They took a lot longer than the marines, they are so detailed and all very unique. I think in all probably 20 hours. The gold base coat on each one took 30 mins alone, it was quite fiddly, but I love the detail on them. I kept missing bits like tiny tentacles or fly emblems. I also experimented with wet blending for the first time which I did on the smoke (left one) and the fly’s wings. 

@erhgiez looking great!

The desk I paint at is currently the desk I spend all day working at so I’m finding it hard to paint in the evenings currently.

Most I’ve done of late is paint in the chips sculpted into giant Abaddon’s armour.  Black oil for the shading, acrylic for the highlight:

B2B3FCCF-2368-418A-B4A7-E2E21DE11876.thumb.jpeg.9101e525576e1392edaa82e9f47f30c5.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, erhgiez said:

These took a lot longer than the Hellblasters. Tried slate on the bases and had a go at decals and sergeant markings

0A5D0C36-3C46-480F-BF38-4F0309EA7313.jpeg

I’ve been back painting for the last 4 years. I’ve not finished as many as you!

I have got a huge pile of plastic though. Thats what’s it’s about innit?

1 hour ago, MrEm said:

I’ve been back painting for the last 4 years. I’ve not finished as many as you!

I have got a huge pile of plastic though. Thats what’s it’s about innit?

I can feel the wave of a plastic splurge coming. Have another 40 models or so on the way :S

20 minutes ago, Nicky said:

I painted a mini the other week. Don't think i posted it here though. :P

That’s awesome, loving the wear & weathering.  Acrylics or oils?  Or both?

base acrylic work. then a lot of enamels. I rarely use oils when streaming just due to the slightly longer dry time and the more prep work than enamels for pretty much the same effect. infact i'd go as far as saying for the work i do in vehicles and machinery, enamels are often far superior with exactly the same properties of oils - for general paint work that is. If we're talking OPR techniques then having that viscosity and control of oil is undoubtedly a great boon.

Do you use like the ready mixed panel liners & stuff like that from AK interactive & the like?  I’m wary of enamels due to shit experiences with them as a kid with airfix models, but I also see people getting great effects with them.  There’s also the solvent side of things - for some reason I’ve got it in my head it’s more complex with enamels than oils.  My oils set up is oil paint, cheap well palette, and some low odour solvent.

Did some painting!

Cleaned up the glow from the collar ring, lot tidier now but I need to knock it back - it’s now the highest value bit of the model & takes away the focus from the face.

D5C3E099-AE14-4D78-B31B-58F9CF283A93.thumb.jpeg.affdad9f4550d055980b5119fd9ed2b4.jpeg

Started on a crackle design on the talon.  The inspiration for this is a memory both myself & my teacher have a memory of an Abaddon in a 90s White Dwarf with that.

592247DD-2478-454C-BFB0-388C53346292.thumb.jpeg.9f030120c0fe9dd4058e7dd04cc18208.jpeg