A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

I have a super slim, its surprisingly small and badly built but then so is the slim! Having said that its just cheap plastic - the tray slides but feels fine, its just as noisy as the others - no better or worse (i'm on my 4th ps3 now, 60gb, 40g, slim and super slim)

It has wifi, not used it as its wired into router.

12gb is useless, i put a 500gb hdd in i had knocking around - you need a £9 adaptor from amazon to do this also.

I got mine from Game for £99 used so decent price and still has a guarantee!

The one I bought that I was speaking about on the previous page is a 12gb Superslim, it will 95% be being playing offline whilst working away so 12gb should be enough for game saves shouldn't it ? I like the sliding top loading tray, very sexy !

I'm tempted to buy a PS3 (I haven't owned a PlayStation since the original). Torn between getting the standard 500GB slim model, or the "Azurite Blue" which costs a little more but comes with two controllers (I think that's the only difference, other than the colour...?)

You can currently get the new 500gb PS3 with The Last of Us and 90 days of PS+ for £199.99 at Zavvi. I think that's probably the best deal you'll find at the moment given the game would cost you £30+ and is worth playing. Apparently it's the same price at Game in store, but I have no idea if that's true.

I read somewhere that 500gb is the cheapest £/gb ratio at the moment - i like WD drives and have one in my PS3 and NAS etc.

Pretty sure the PS3 uses a old versiosn of SATA so no point buying a fast drive, buy as big as you can afford and stick to WD, Samsung etc and will be all good.

Thanks for that. Are there any problems with 7200rpm ones nowadays? I had heard they had a risk of overheating before. I'd ideally like to get the biggest HDD I can (at a reasonable price though). Is 1TB the sort of size to aim for?

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=1894

Upgraded my 60gb phat with one of these hybrid 500gb sshd jobs a few weeks back. Significant boost in loading times and none of the hd parking/sleep issues many see after upgrading, highly recommended.

My intention was to swap this into a PS4 later in the year but I'll probably end up buying the 1tb version.

I just copied my link from my order history but I notice looking at it now that it links to yours as a "newer version of this item", so I'd say you'll be fine with that one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/productlist.php?groupid=701&catid=14&subid=1894

Upgraded my 60gb phat with one of these hybrid 500gb sshd jobs a few weeks back. Significant boost in loading times and none of the hd parking/sleep issues many see after upgrading, highly recommended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jb-OMi6RWpY

My intention was to swap this into a PS4 later in the year but I'll probably end up buying the 1tb version.

That's really surprising. I put one of those in my brother's PC (as he didn't want to fork out for a proper SSD) and there didn't seem to be much difference from a traditional HDD.

I've had my PS3 for a few days now, I got the £99 offer from Game for a 320gb slim. Really pleased with it, it's super quiet compared to my old 360, even my wife commented on it. I like that the UI is understated compared to the mess that the 360 dash has become. Install times for games are fucking ridiculous though!

I picked up the Uncharted trilogy, Gran Turismo 5, Wipeout HD and MGS4 to get started with, and have downloaded a few games with the excellent Playstation Plus deals. Should see me nicely through to the PS4 launch.

But the best moment for me so far has been seeing Strangers Wrath HD on the store, for £4.30! Love that game :wub:

• 3 months later...

New firmware update coming:

Automatic download of system updates is now available to all users (no longer Plus exclusive)

Automatic downloading of items purchased via pc is now available to all users (no longer Plus exclusive)

Trophy Privacy settings

Vita data transfer can now be done over wifi on ps3 (the last Vita firmware added it for pc/mac use)

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/01/ps3-system-software-update-v-4-50-launches-this-week/

New firmware update coming:

Automatic download of system updates is now available to all users (no longer Plus exclusive)

Automatic downloading of items purchased via pc is now available to all users (no longer Plus exclusive)

Trophy Privacy settings

Vita data transfer can now be done over wifi on ps3 (the last Vita firmware added it for pc/mac use)

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2013/10/01/ps3-system-software-update-v-4-50-launches-this-week/

This is excellent news.

• 10 months later...

Well, my bought at launch fat ps3 has finally given up the ghost and has the ylod... Can anyone recommend a reputable repair outfit? Ideally in london that allows me to drop it off in person but any recommendations welcome!

Well, my bought at launch fat ps3 has finally given up the ghost and has the ylod... Can anyone recommend a reputable repair outfit? Ideally in london that allows me to drop it off in person but any recommendations welcome!

To be honest, I would just try and get a slim from somewhere. In my experience, the repair ain't worth it.

The only one I knew you could drop it off while you wait was PS pros in London but they've gone now [emoji20]