A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Anyone remember this little guy?

PS3_memory_card_adapter.jpg

I bought one when the ps3 launched and although I don't need it often, it comes in mighty handy occasionally. Even without ps2 BC it's very handy to transfer ps1 saves to/from ps1, psp, ps3 and vita. I'm curious to see if I'm alone in keeping one just in case.

On another note, I know the PS3 has a bad rep for dowloading speeds but I just grabbed 1.8gb from JP PSN in half an hour at more or less peak time. Is that good, bad or average? (8mb line)

Can you use that to copy PS1 and PS2 saves to and from PC?

It is very good, the only down side is it takes 3 days to download anything and a further week to install it - how is the PS3 so piss poor in this area??

I see loads of people having this problem and it used to include me too, but after a couple of weeks of crap download speeds I suddenly got nice fast speeds on my 100mbit connection and stuff like Okami (6gb+) downloads in an hour or so.

I have no idea why. I all I did was stick the PS3 in my routers DMZ, although I don't remember that having an immediate effect. Maybe I'm just lucky?

ive never tried it actually, you can do it on the ps3 with a USB stick anyway. I can try it on pc if you want but I suspect it would need a driver.

Could you try with a ps1 card? I have an Action Replay that will let me back up my PS2 saves, but I'd love to be able to back up my PS1 saves.

Edit:

Hang on, are you saying I could go ps1 card -> ps3 -> memory stick.(and back)?

I've bought a PS3 today after selling my old one a couple of years ago now. You're supposed to get a 30 day PS+ trial with it apparently (I bought it from GAME), does anyone know where the code should be or how to activate it.

Yeah, looks like I don't have it. Demon's Souls will have to wait.

edit: Super Craig to the rescue, cheers for the trial code.

So how does background downloading work. Do you have to leave the system on, unlike 360. And it won't power off after the 5hrs will it? I've got about 60gb of data to go...

I bit the bullet on a ps3 yesterday. Figured it was worth it with plus. How do I get games into the vita from it? I remember someone saying the got ico on their vita.

Not as such, if you have Ico or SotC you can remote play them from PS3 to Vita over your wi-fi.

Yeah, looks like I don't have it. Demon's Souls will have to wait.

edit: Super Craig to the rescue, cheers for the trial code.

So how does background downloading work. Do you have to leave the system on, unlike 360. And it won't power off after the 5hrs will it? I've got about 60gb of data to go...

You can start the download then turn the console off from the far left off the XMB, rather than using the PS button on the controller, and it will give you the option of shutting down once downloads are complete.

So I bought PS3 and it turned up today, never played on one before, have had a 360 since launch but I've decided as I'm opting for the PS4 at launch next time round I'd familiarise myself with some of the franchises...it's not going well ! It feels totally alien to me, the controller seems absoloutley tiny, it seems to get lost in my mammoth hands ! Tried playing a bit of Killzone but the button layout just seems odd, press the right stick to aim and r1 button to shoot !? Feels very strange ! It's certainly going to take me a lot of getting used to ! That said graphically I'm very impressed and I quite like the "adult" nature of the layout of the menu compared to the 360. Now I've got about 20 games I've missed out on to complete before the PS4 launch !

So I just got PS+ for the first time ever and suddenly I have loads of free games. PS3 version of XCOM? Sure, why not - if it's free. Anyway, stupid question: I need to start the download on each game and then cancel, and they'll be mine to download whenever I want as long as my PS+ sub is active right? I don't actually need to download it all?

Second stupid question: is there a place where I can check current or upcoming PS+ deals without having to boot up my PS3?

And last but not least: that Uncharted 3 story thing currently in in the PS+ instant game collection, is that the actual game? And if so, why is it called '3D movie'? I don't want an Uncharted movie, never mind a 3D one.

Edit: I purchased a PS+ sub in anticipation of my upcoming PS4 purchase of course - feels good :D All I need to do now on day one is log in, no need to set up an account. And in the meantime - oooh, free ICO! :wub:

So I just got PS+ for the first time ever and suddenly I have loads of free games. PS3 version of XCOM? Sure, why not - if it's free. Anyway, stupid question: I need to start the download on each game and then cancel, and they'll be mine to download whenever I want as long as my PS+ sub is active right? I don't actually need to download it all?

Second stupid question: is there a place where I can check current or upcoming PS+ deals without having to boot up my PS3?

And last but not least: that Uncharted 3 story thing currently in in the PS+ instant game collection, is that the actual game? And if so, why is it called '3D movie'? I don't want an Uncharted movie, never mind a 3D one.

The online store is much better to use than the ps3 based one so go there - you can view, add to basket etc all from the store. Complete the checkout (even tho its free) and as i understand you can download them whenever you want so long as you have a sub.

Uncharted 3 is an actual game, they cocked up the way to download it so it was a mess - its sorted now but oddly labelled.

The online store is much better to use than the ps3 based one so go there - you can view, add to basket etc all from the store. Complete the checkout (even tho its free) and as i understand you can download them whenever you want so long as you have a sub.

Uncharted 3 is an actual game, they cocked up the way to download it so it was a mess - its sorted now but oddly labelled.

Online store? Woah, things have changed since I bought a PS3 way back when :o Thanks for the advice :)

They're cut scenes.

I actually thought they could have been just the cutscenes. Like the Shenmue movie on the Shenmue 2 Xbox disc and just as shit to watch :lol:

The pad is crap, awful sticks in the wrong place and compared to a 360 pad its awful to use.

Buy some trigger extenders as they make it lots better - real triggers i think the ones i had before were called.

I've just seen these "Afterglow" controllers on eBay that light up like a bloody lighthouse, they are also set out so the thumb sticks are in the same positions as on the 360 pad, looks a lot bigger too, has anyone got one that can comment ?

So then.

As an gentleman with limited finances I never went in for the over-indulgence of owning more than one console at once, so I have been an Xbox 360 gamer since 2006.

But you know what? I have grown to dislike what the Xbox brand stands for, and the Xbone looks horrifying. It's obvious that the PS4 might be the more respectable choice for the next generation, and I'd love to prepare by catching up with the PS3 exclusives I missed this generation.

So a few questions:

- Is the PS3 super slim due for a price cut any time soon, in light of the upcoming PS4?

- Any build quality problems to be aware of?

- Is there built-in Wi-Fi, or do you need to buy a seperate adapter? If it's built-in, is the signal strength good?

- Would it be an utter pain in the arse to have just the 12GB model? Can you only have about 1 game installed at once? (I looked into buying a laptop HDD seperately, but after you've bought the caddy too there's not much saving on a £200 PS3 anyway).

I'm looking at a second PS3 and actually think picking up a slim (not super slim) from CEX is more tempting than a new super slim. They were all around 140-150 quid, and some came with a 320 gig, some with a 250. I had this model in the US and it was very nice, I hear the super slim's disc lid is a bit flimsy and it's louder.

Yes, wi-fi is built in to all. Don't get the 12gig or small models unless you've got a good deal on a HDD or are just using it as a media box / blu ray player (Which you aren't).

I got a 2nd hand Super Slim with an extra controller and some CoD game I don't give a shit about, along with a 500GB HD and the mounting kit. £150 all in, most reasonable. One day later, that Last of Us package was posted in the bargains thread making a mockery of the whole venture given I also spent the best part of £40 on Last of Us :hmm:

So a few questions:

- Is the PS3 super slim due for a price cut any time soon, in light of the upcoming PS4?

- Any build quality problems to be aware of?

- Is there built-in Wi-Fi, or do you need to buy a seperate adapter? If it's built-in, is the signal strength good?

- Would it be an utter pain in the arse to have just the 12GB model? Can you only have about 1 game installed at once? (I looked into buying a laptop HDD seperately, but after you've bought the caddy too there's not much saving on a £200 PS3 anyway).

Price cut probably won't happen until Gamescon at the earliest, which is August.

Wifi is built in but it's only B/G.

Don't bother with the 12gb unless you plan on installing a bigger drive. It's something you would buy a kid who isn't allowed to buy things from the store. Besides, you need the space for that Plus sub you should be buying