A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

If by 'cheap' you mean £29.99 for the 'new and improved' Move Edition then, no, not really. It seems all stores have removed it from the shelves in order to push the Move version.

Also, is Move any good, or is it just another gimmicky thing that looks like a glow in the dark sex toy?

Move is a good bit of kit, sadly there are pretty much no games I'd recommend for it. Tumble is good but it's not good enough to warrant the purchase.

I have a Wii why would i want to shell out a fortune for another motion control system that has very few games worth the effort ? Is that the sound of a band waggon rolling out of town with Sony and Microsoft attempting to chase it down ..... why yes it is !

So then, friends! Now that the dust has settled, what was the verdict on Heavy Rain in the end? Worth a go?

I'd say it's an essential game to experience if you have a PS3, especially as its one of the big exclusives.

Also Squid, why is Singstar not on your list :)

Whilst I'll admit it does stink of 'me too!' a bit to have MS and Sony suddenly adopt motion controls this far into their consoles' lifespan, the medium is clearly popular and obviously generates income and you have to wonder what kind of games we have in store with the might of the 360 and PS3 technology behind them. I'm hoping in time for something truly innovative and fun, as opposed to the current batch of 'flail your arms like a twat!' games we seem to be seeing.

Conversely, you could also argue that motion control is just a big gimmicky fad and this is clearly demonstrated by how every Wii game crowbars in the controls for the sake of it and that, for every good game on the Wii, there are about a million shit shovelware ones from people cashing in. The issue with the Wii is that it is a console clearly limited by its own technology, whereas the 360 and PS3 are capable of delivering so much more, technologically speaking.

Playing devil's advocate for a second here, motion control is popular. It is quite fun (at first, anyway) and it has introduced gaming to a massive array of people who might never have tried it before, which can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

EDIT: Mechamonkey: because I despise singstar. This is, however, irrelevant as I have bought every single one on the PS2 as my missus loves them and they always get put on at parties for people to drunkenly warble to until some bright spark realises you can still play - and probably better than you could normally - by just finding the right pitch and humming into the microphone. Indeed, when I said I was getting a PS3, the first thing my missus said was 'we can get new Singstars!'

In short, I will be getting some of them eventually :(

EDIT: Mechamonkey: because I despise singstar. This is, however, irrelevant as I have bought every single one on the PS2 as my missus loves them and they always get put on at parties for people to drunkenly warble to until some bright spark realises you can still play - and probably better than you could normally - by just finding the right pitch and humming into the microphone. Indeed, when I said I was getting a PS3, the first thing my missus said was 'we can get new Singstars!'

In short, I will be getting some of them eventually :(

That is exactly why I ended up getting them :lol:

I find my PS3 is a machine much better suited to the main lounge then the 360, I watch Blu-rays and iPlayer on it, do the occasional spot of browsing / youtube and play movies/TV and music from my file server elsewhere in the house.

I basically bought exactly the games you have btw, uncanny.

Oh and Motorstorm Pacific Rift is brilliant, well worth getting and costs absolute peanuts now.

Finally if you're getting Buzz, try to get the Quiz World version of it, it has quite a few enhancements. Also it's another if what I'd consider essential PS3 games, never met anyone gamer or not that didnt have a brilliant time with it.

Edit: Sorry, disjointed rambling now but Pixeljunk shooter is just lovely from PSN.

Yeah I noticed today that a new version was coming out.

Bought Star Trek on bluray today. That looks nice :D

Just finished God of War 3. Really enjoyed it. Annoyingly, neither Uncharted 2 not Demon's Souls turned up today. In fact, looking at my Zavvi order, Demon's Souls hasn't even been dispatched yet, despite me ordering it on Thursday last week (iirc) and them saying they've got it in stock :(

MUBI (formerly The Auteurs) finally comes to PS3 this week through a free download this Wednesday. £2.99 for a single rental, or a 30-day sub for £9.99 (there's also a small selection of free films, which is unfortunately tiny in the UK). To see the sort of films they offer, go to http://mubi.com/watch - although there's no mention of shorts in the PS3 announcement I'd imagine they'll cost £0.79 each like they do through the web browser.

I completed Heavy Rain last night and I have to say, while it was mostly a chore, the twist and the ending I got were quite interesting.

I did see the twist coming to be honest, but couldn't quite figure out how or why it was the case, so it was nice to see it unfold.

Unfortunately I managed to lose 3 characters near the end so the killer wasn't caught. :facepalm: I'll not be replaying though, life is far too short (and I have Fallout: NV waiting to be unwrapped!)

I completed Heavy Rain last night and I have to say, while it was mostly a chore, the twist and the ending I got were quite interesting.

I did see the twist coming to be honest, but couldn't quite figure out how or why it was the case, so it was nice to see it unfold.

Unfortunately I managed to lose 3 characters near the end so the killer wasn't caught. :facepalm: I'll not be replaying though, life is far too short (and I have Fallout: NV waiting to be unwrapped!)

I rather enjoyed Heavy Rain, especially as I despised Fahrenheit.

I played it through with my other half - her mainly doing the explorationy stuff, then throwing the controller at me when a fight came in. I will say it does look fantastic, and the voice acting is pretty good (apart from the woman with the long dark hair, who was quite poor). It was a good game to play through with t'other half, and the plot had some pleasant twists and turns. My OH was strangely obsessed with making the male characters use the toilet whenever there was one available :S

It's far from a perfect game, but then something like this is never going to be perfect. Definitely glad I played it, and only one part was genuinely rubbish due to broken controls (the crawling through the broken glass bit).

Sgt Squid, you can have my copy for £14 delivered if you like - disc/box as good as new (though we played with the origami bird while it was installing).

When I started playing it, I thought it was great, but soon I became slightly irritated by it. I realised that you couldn't really do anything you wanted, only what the game maker wanted you to do. Not that unusual, but for some reason I found it irritating. However it was the storyline that really bugged me. Here's a guy trying to investigate his son's disappearance with no police intervention? And everyone knows the son is missing? Too much for me to believe. Perhaps there's a reason for it that's revealed later on, but it really annoyed me, so I gave up playing after a few hours.

What I've found funny is that the PS3 seems far more compatible with other things, such as stuff you might have on your PC, than the 360. It seems you can do a lot more with the console and, having now spent a week with my ps3, my 360 seems quite restricted by comparison. Don't get me wrong; I still love my 360 and it does do some stuff better (the whole front end, Live, friends lists etc), but I just found it amusing.

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the PS3 at first... Long, awkward update methods and no background downloading, but 6 weeks on, it's now my favourite console and my 360 has taken a back seat. So much so that I bought the slightly inferior (jaggies ahoy!) version of New Vegas just so I could play my new shiny system! I've also switched over to the PS3 versions of SSFIV and FFXIII, which also involved sacrificing my Madcatz SE stick for a wireless Hori.

As a Blu-Ray player, it's not as good as my dedicated Sony one and the iPlayer quality is terrible in comparison... Not to mention no BBCHD option. However PS3 Media thingy allows me to stream more file types to my TV.

So yeah, brilliant system and I'm glad I finally got one!

What I've found funny is that the PS3 seems far more compatible with other things, such as stuff you might have on your PC, than the 360. It seems you can do a lot more with the console and, having now spent a week with my ps3, my 360 seems quite restricted by comparison. Don't get me wrong; I still love my 360 and it does do some stuff better (the whole front end, Live, friends lists etc), but I just found it amusing.

I found this surprising as well. Especially how my PS3 would happily talk to any Windows installation, while the 360 was either untraceable or required installations, setting changes and what not.

I'm still of the opinion that the XMB is more structured and logical than the X360 Dashboard though. :P But in the end that's more a matter of getting accustomed to an interface I suppose.

re: MUBI- Love the idea, the execution leaves much to be desired:

1. on startup on my PS3 it informs me: "we have found your MUBI account" OH YEAH

BUT THEN

- all my website-friends don't port to the PS3-app

- facebook connection on PS3 doesn't work (does on the M-website)

- my website lists don't port either, let alone my default/standard "want to watch" list (ie: the watchlist on PS3)

2. quality of the streams is mostly on par with VidZone meaning: _could_be_a_lot_better

...at least there's finally some official way of DL'ing the more rare movies (IF they're available in my region, that is)

(off to PBay again :coffee: )

Tell me you played through the first game.

Yep, finished it at the weekend. Uncharted 2 gave me $100,000 for it too, which was cool.

I'm just working my way through Nepal and thusfar the game is a lot better than the first - much more epic, varied and fun. Still too much fighting for my tastes, but at least they've improved that aspect of it.

Can't wait to get stuck back in tonight after work!