A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

And get PS+, of course. If you get if before they refresh the lineup (sometime soonish) you'll get all those yearly games for free (Infamous 2, LBP 2, Motorstorm) as well as next years.

And of course, I'm giving away a free month of PSN+ which could be used to say ... sign up to PSN, download the Instant Game Collection for PS3 and Vita before they are replaced next week, then download the replacements via the SEN website, giving a new PS3 owner a load of games to play.

Didn't think about it needing a caddy... so does it have to be the official Sony one for about a tenner on Amazon? That's the only one I could find after a quick look. Seen an "as new" 12GB 2nd hand for £80 so might see it that's still going.

And of course, I'm giving away a free month of PSN+ which could be used to say ... sign up to PSN, download the Instant Game Collection for PS3 and Vita before they are replaced next week, then download the replacements via the SEN website, giving a new PS3 owner a load of games to play.

Dear Mr Steev,

Please tell me more as I have no fucking clue about any of this. Do I need a PS3 in hand for this wheeze to work, for example?

Interested, Yorkshire.

Didn't think about it needing a caddy... so does it have to be the official Sony one for about a tenner on Amazon? That's the only one I could find after a quick look. Seen an "as new" 12GB 2nd hand for £80 so might see it that's still going.

Yeah, you need the official one I think- models with actual hard drives come with them already inside the machine, but the SSD model (12GB) don't.

Dear Mr Steev,

Please tell me more as I have no fucking clue about any of this. Do I need a PS3 in hand for this wheeze to work, for example?

Interested, Yorkshire.

Nope, just create a Sony account if you don't have one https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-gb/home/main

You can then buy the PS+ sub, and once thats active 'buy' the free games, go through checkout, and then download them once you have a PS3. Simples. Once you've purchased them, you can download them whenever you want. I have a 320GB PS3 but tons of stuff sat undownloaded at the moment as I don't have the space. It's always there though

Dear Mr Steev,

Interested, Yorkshire.

Get yourself a Playstation ID, you'll need to sign up with Sony Entertainment Network (SEN) first. When you have that you should be able to buy games from PSN using the PC website even if you don't own a PS3 yet (somebody will correct me if I'm wrong) so you can sign up for the free PSN+ and 'purchase' all the free games, once purchased they stay in your account for as long as you subscribe to PSN+.

If you signed up for PSN+ today, these are the free games you can get, and next week some of those games will be rotated out for new stuff - rumours of the Uncharted games are doing the rounds, but we don't know yet. You'll basically get a head start with shitloads of games before you even buy anything else.

The free month code is yours if you want it.

I have a PSN ID! Unfortunately some bastard has taken "stefcha" therefore I've gone for the more tongue-twisting "stefchauk". I should really jump on these login trains earlier just in case.

So I'd very much appreciate the code on offer, you fine figure of a man, you.

Wait, they're definitely rotating out the three IGC games that've been there since I joined last July next week? With this month's PS+ offerings and recent sales this is probably the best month in the history of wasting your life with childrens video games.

Wait, they're definitely rotating out the three IGC games that've been there since I joined last July next week? With this month's PS+ offerings and recent sales this is probably the best month in the history of wasting your life with childrens video games.

Well, that's the rumour and I'm pretty sure that it was confirmed that big games in the IGC would rotate out annually (from last year's E3) rather than with the monthly offerings.

Anyone got a super slim, im coming back as i need GT5 in my life again and i hate Forza!

Having had more faulty ps3's than hot dinners im wondering if the paper thin is worth a gamble, does the slide tray feel as cheap as it sounds?

Also this PS+ - i still have my PSN account, can i sub monthly or something and get it setup as above to get the games - whats this about a different account?

Ohh and finally, i backed up my saves when i last had a ps3 - literally i have a folder on my NAS called PS3>>SAVEDATA - i cant recall, do i just copy the SAVEDATA folder to the root of a usb stick, plug it in then import??

So the week before the greatest game of the generation ships my PS3 has turned into my girlfriend and refuses to put anything in it's mouth.

I attempt to put the disc in and it just flashes the blue led on the front of the machine and won't let the disc in. Anyone has this happen and know of a fix? I really don't want to be buying another PS3 so close to the PS4 launch.

So the week before the greatest game of the generation ships my PS3 has turned into my girlfriend and refuses to put anything in it's mouth.

I attempt to put the disc in and it just flashes the blue led on the front of the machine and won't let the disc in. Anyone has this happen and know of a fix? I really don't want to be buying another PS3 so close to the PS4 launch.

Assuming there isn't already a disc in there...

If it's not an original 60GB you can try holding down the eject button while switching on (i.e. with the power switch on the back or if it's a slim, at the wall).

If that doesn't work, switch it off, insert a disc in the slot until it meets resistance, switch back on. Hopefully it will take the disc in and reset the cogs in the blu-ray drive.

Failing that, YouTube and a screwdriver...

It is an original 60GB. I tried the disc method and that didn't work either. It was getting a bit loud anyway so I opened it up fully, re-applied the thermal paste, checked all the connections, gave it a bit of a clean and now it's all working again. Must have been something blocking the sensor for the blu ray drive, making it think there was something in there all the time.

So happy I've got this done as I can now play through Uncharted 3 and see if it is as bad as everyone makes out before the lovely kind postman drops Last of Us through my door.

#TeamSony

The sliding tray thing is a bit poo, but it could have been much worse. The spring in it is nice and strong but I can see this failing if you use lots of discs.

Anyone got a super slim, im coming back as i need GT5 in my life again and i hate Forza!

Having had more faulty ps3's than hot dinners im wondering if the paper thin is worth a gamble, does the slide tray feel as cheap as it sounds?

'Tekken Revolution' is PS3 exclusive, free to play, launching this Tuesday

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/08/tekken-revolution-is-ps3-exclusive-free-to-play-launching-th/

Tekken Revolution was revealed earlier today by a trailer tucked away 19 minutes inside of a video segment on Gamespot. The game, which is both free-to-play and a PlayStation 3 exclusive, will be available this Tuesday, June 11. Aside from the fact that Paul, Bryan, Kazuya and Lars are all featured in the footage shown, little else is known.

Tekken ringleader Katsuhiro Harada previously dismissed an Australian Classifications Board listing for the title as being in reference to a new version of Tekken Card Tournament. That, coupled with the fact that no user interface is shown in the Revolution footage, is enough to keep us from assuming that this is a fighting game it could just as easily be a high-def, ultra-pretty version of Namco Bandai's existing, mobile free-to-play competitive card game set in the Tekken universe.

The sliding tray thing is a bit poo, but it could have been much worse. The spring in it is nice and strong but I can see this failing if you use lots of discs.

Coolio, I ordered a preowned one today from game and the hdd bracket from amazon so back in the game!

I logged into my psn account on my laptop, have £10.56 still in the wallet so that's a bonus!! Also setup a SEN account, in typical Sony fashion it said just login with your psn account details which it then flatly refused to do! Had to get a password reset but at least ready to go now!

Well just need to order gt5 again....

Yep, brought a PS3 Super Slim November last year for GT5 Academy Edition & had no problems so far. Quiet, small and although you can tell the top loader is a cheap solution, it locks into place solid.

Despite the woman from Game telling me hers had already broken & I should buy their Game Care Guarantee to protect it for £40 a year...

It is very good, the only down side is it takes 3 days to download anything and a further week to install it - how is the PS3 so piss poor in this area??

But yeah, plus is very good - i went for the 11.99 for 3 months option to test the water so to speak and will make sure i pick up a year sub esp if i see one going cheap as i'm led to believe.