A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Just fitted a 1TB hd and went to my download list to start queuing up downloads. My plan was to queue up stuff I'm likely to play want to play at some point, pause the mass list and then just unpause them as I feel like wanting them so they download overnight.

I've been foiled in that plan by hitting the limit for background downloads :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone remember this little guy?

PS3_memory_card_adapter.jpg

I bought one when the ps3 launched and although I don't need it often, it comes in mighty handy occasionally. Even without ps2 BC it's very handy to transfer ps1 saves to/from ps1, psp, ps3 and vita. I'm curious to see if I'm alone in keeping one just in case.

On another note, I know the PS3 has a bad rep for dowloading speeds but I just grabbed 1.8gb from JP PSN in half an hour at more or less peak time. Is that good, bad or average? (8mb line)

It turns out reading and writing ps1 format data is fine, as long as a PSP doesn't touch it. After then it's locked to the psp because it can't be converted back or copied to Vita (officially at least).

Back to Plan A which is fine, I just can't do anything to make my life easier ;)

Hey chaps

I've just bought a PS3 (go me) and want to get in on the PS plus action.

Is there a certain way I should do it? I.e Should I get a USA sub, or go with a PAL one? And where is the best place to buy one?

Go with a Uk one, theres very little to regret plus the sales are better and more frequent (usually with an extra 10%/20% off if a Plus member).

Make sure to "purchase" the Vita games as well even if you don't currently intend to get one. That way they are ready for when you get one.

Is there any literature on it? The website's a bit weak. How does it work exactly? You get 6 games, then every month you get another new game. I presume there must be some sort of overlap - i.e, if a game has already come and gone, there's little to no chance it'll reappear?

Probably best not to dwell.

The UK PS+ is probably a better option, speaking as someone with the US one because it used to be decent and I couldn't be bothered running two accounts at the same time. You'll be more likely to take advantage of the offers as well.

Going on with with the PS+ questions...

I'm in the Republic of Ireland, should I go ahead and get a Euro card, or would it still work to get a UK one? Is there any differences I need to know about?

I need to buy a new one after my old phat died for the third time. Can anyone tell me if the super slims are more reliable? Also, is it easy enough to swap the HDD over? Was going to get the old one fixed and put in the bedroom as a spare blu ray player for as long as it lives again but dont want to lose all my saves etc and the 12gb has a smaller hdd than my old phat.

You can't put the old HDD directly into a super slim, there's a mounting bracket that costs about a tenner you'd need first. That said, I'm fairly sure it wouldn't read the drive anyway, I think they're tied to the console as well and you can't just swap them around.

The new one won't take the old disc without wiping it, no. But you can transfer everything either by doing Backup/Restore (some saves are copy-protected and won't transfer) or by doing the system transfer function (link two PS3s by Ethernet) and everything will go over.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm currently deleting most of my stuff to do a backup and restore on a new hard drive, the Game Data Utility folder has some interesting things in it.

I assumed it was just patches and DLC but there's a Dragon's Dogma file in there, 3.5GB in size which I assume must be cached data from the disc. Do a lot of games just do this on the sly if they detect sufficient space available? It has always irked me that you can put massive drives in the machine and yet not be able to choose to install the full games like you can on 360 as the filesizes are not prohibitively large any more, I wish they'd just let me do that rather than sneakily store core parts on there.

I'm currently deleting most of my stuff to do a backup and restore on a new hard drive, the Game Data Utility folder has some interesting things in it.

I assumed it was just patches and DLC but there's a Dragon's Dogma file in there, 3.5GB in size which I assume must be cached data from the disc. Do a lot of games just do this on the sly if they detect sufficient space available?

It's usually not sly at all; if you don't have the space I don't think you can play the game.

• 3 weeks later...

So once I'm done with my last couple of 360 retail games there doesn't seem much point in keeping two of the things around, so I might get a PS3 given there's a handful of games I might like to play. If I do, what's the best option for picking one up? I'd want whatever the latest smallest bestest version is, which seems to be a super slim. But 500GB is a fair whack more than the base 12GB one, possible to buy the latter and stick your own HD in or something?