A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

About two weeks ago, I updated my PS3 with whatever system update it told me to. Since then, most of the time when I turn it on it says an Ethernet cable is disconnected.

Sometimes turning it off and back on again, or even just connecting to the PS store, is enough to make it work. Sometimes, even though its supposedly disconnected, I can still access my NAS.

I've tried using a different cable, a different socket on the router, and a different router. My 360 is fine, and I've tried using the cable from that instead - no difference.

Is this a bug in the latest firmware, or is my PS3 fucked?

The odd thing is how it works sometimes but not others, without touching anything!

No - as I said, I've replaced the cable. I've tried three others now, and the original one is now connected to my 360 and working fine.

Something else - the link light on the router comes on even when I'm supposedly disconnected, which is one of the reasons I'm blaming software not hardware.

No - as I said, I've replaced the cable. I've tried three others now, and the original one is now connected to my 360 and working fine.

Something else - the link light on the router comes on even when I'm supposedly disconnected, which is one of the reasons I'm blaming software not hardware.

Sorry. Missed that.

Can't say I've had any problems myself. My PS3 is used daily as a network media player, so I reckon I'd have noticed it if it was a common bug.

Even more mysterious now is that according to the router, the PS3 is now only connecting (when it actually connects and works) at 100Mb. It was 1Gb before.

Again, it's not the router or cables though as I've swapped all those.

• 4 months later...

A YouTube App has appeared under the Video Tab. It appears to look & behave exactly like the WiiU one, but I find it to function more smoothly.

About Damn time. Using YouTube on the PS3 browser was a joke & I'm glad there's now a proper way to do it.

One thing though, I have my YouTube account deliberately set to only SD videos because of the speed of my connection & I find 360p/480p videos perfectly watchable. That now seems to be what I'm getting through this, but when I made the change the WiiU one didn't seems affected. Does the SD setting apply to an app like this or have i just happened to watch only SD content so far?

About two weeks ago, I updated my PS3 with whatever system update it told me to. Since then, most of the time when I turn it on it says an Ethernet cable is disconnected.

Sometimes turning it off and back on again, or even just connecting to the PS store, is enough to make it work. Sometimes, even though its supposedly disconnected, I can still access my NAS.

I've tried using a different cable, a different socket on the router, and a different router. My 360 is fine, and I've tried using the cable from that instead - no difference.

Is this a bug in the latest firmware, or is my PS3 fucked?

The odd thing is how it works sometimes but not others, without touching anything!

Anything ever come from this? Ours does it too now.

Has anyone had any problems with their machine being slow? Like it's struggling with an update now, even though my internet connection is pretty fast, and streams have been taxing it lately. It stuttered loads during the Playstation 4 conference and it's been running out of memory watching the football. I tried deleting the cache but it hasn't seemed to made a difference. It doesn't have problems reading disks or playing games so I'm not concerned that it's on its way out but I am wondering if there's anything I can do.

Has anyone had any problems with their machine being slow? Like it's struggling with an update now, even though my internet connection is pretty fast, and streams have been taxing it lately. It stuttered loads during the Playstation 4 conference and it's been running out of memory watching the football. I tried deleting the cache but it hasn't seemed to made a difference. It doesn't have problems reading disks or playing games so I'm not concerned that it's on its way out but I am wondering if there's anything I can do.

I usually reset the router, then redo the settings on the PS3 when my media player/ internet connection goes a bit shit - which it does quite often, for no apparent reason. Also, it always used to run out of memory in the 4OD app if I tried to watch two shows in a row without quitting out.

So it's not something specifically wrong with my model then? For the record it's a fat 160Gb US version.

Networking has always been a bit flaky for me, wired and wireless. The PS3 wireless is pretty rubbish most of the time for me so I bought some home plugs. Ah yes, my fat 60GB was even worse (sniff, it died) the slim has been much better, but still has these odd little quirks when it decides not to download or stream very well. My heads-up is PS3 Media Player, if it takes a while to load up the icons it gets a restart and then works fine.

I'll give that a go, cheers :)

Are slims that much better then?

Definitely, though I wish they'd put wireless N in there. My 60GB was a first run US model, and it never seemed in the greatest of health in the first place :) In my experience, PS3 networking and internet seems to have a chuntey-like ability to work/not work if you don't appease the gods in a very specific way, no matter which model you have.

• 2 weeks later...

So the PS3 arrived yesterday and the main thing that keeps boggling my mind is how light the controller actually is. It's almost like it's not even there. The buttons are a joy to press and the triggers feel great. I can gripe that the charging cable is terribly short, though.

Store sadly doesn't seem as intuitive to work around as 360's, then again if you were to look for something back-catalogue there you'd have to go through a couple of hoops as well, so it hasn't reached a great level of annoyance (surprised by the number/lack thereof of games in the PS2 catalogue)

Best start-up music + visual. Feels very classy.

A shame it looks like RR7 wasn't updated with trophies. Loving the differences compared to 6, though the car customisations is going over my head for the moment.

DUST is as welcoming as I was expecting of CCP, finding it funny you gain SP with no need of setting a skill to train. Kind of wonder how EVE would be if it worked that way.

Seven years late to the party! Ico and Shadow set is next on my mind to get.

I think the lack of a ps2back catalogue is the double whammy of dodgy european rights and that not many games work with the software emulation.

Re: RR7 Apparently games developed early on don't support trophies because of the original dev environment, this is Sony's excuse for Everybody's Golf at least. Although on that point Uncharted was released only a few months after EG6 and that got trophies, but that is hardly conclusive.

Uncharted came with its own 'trophy' like system so the trophies you got were the exact same. That said it took Disgaea 3 something daft like 2 years for trophies to get patched in.

Best start-up music + visual. Feels very classy.

I can remember getting my slim, changing the settings to 1080p and seeing the start-up and XMB and thinking "now this is a high-end games console".

A shame that PS4 is going the route of Metro. The XMB isn't perfect but it's definitely got an elegance to it.