A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Just received Red Faction Guerilla and Lost Planet 2 in the post. Cost €2 for the both of them! Sadly, they'll probably be joining the big pile o' PS3 games to start which include Heavy Rain, Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, and Dead Space.

FYI: the DVD upscaler in the PS3 is a bit too good at its own game at times. I only started noticing a proper difference when I popped in something high in detail like Planet Earth. I doubt the standard film fare will make much of a difference on Blu-ray.

Hmm. To be fair, the PS3's upscaler's not *that* good. I think what you get from your Blu-rays depends a lot on the quality of your TV's panel, its size, its settings, and how far away you are from it. I've very rarely watched a DVD on the PS3 that isn't obviously inferior to the HD presentation, and it's always clear when something's an upscaled DVD. The only exceptions have been a very small number of very poor quality Blu-rays which are, unsurprisingly, probably not much more than upscaled DVD themselves.

I honestly think this is down to the rest of your setup rather than Blu-rays not intrinsically looking very different, or to some uber-upscaling magic from the PS3.

Buying Uncharted 1 and getting Uncharted 2 is like buying a Keeley Hazell calendar, then getting it home and finding it's actually the real Keeley Hazell inside and she wants to suck your dick on the first of every month for a year.

Keep it. I played the sequel first then went and got the first and it's really no comparison. The first one is predictable and dull, a real slog. The second is one of the best games you'll ever play.

So I understand, but I want to do it 'properly'. I'm buying Uncharted 2 anyway and always was going to, it's just I got Uncharted 1 with the console and had to wait to payday (today, yay) to buy the rest.

Today I'm going on a spending splurge. The reason being I've spent the last year and a half being broke as I've put all my spare cash towards the wedding fund. Now we're married, my wife and I decided our first pay day after the wedding would be a shopping spree.

Things I'm going to buy (PS3 related, obviously. I'm sure you don't want to know I'm going to be buying new pants and stuff)

Metal Gear Solid 4

Uncharted 2

Demon's Souls

Buzz Quiz World and them controller thingies

Another controller

It's gonna be a good couple of weeks for gaming :omg:

Just a warning:

PlayStation Network is offline for scheduled maintenance from 16:00 on Thursday 28 October 2010 until 00:30 on Friday 29 October 2010, BST.

During the maintenance, you will be unable to access the following services:

PlayStation Store on PS3, PSP and PC.

PlayStation Network Account Management.

PlayStation Network Account Registration.

In addition, you will not be able to sign in to PlayStation Network from eu.playstation.com. If you wish to play online during the maintenance, please ensure you sign in to PSN before 16:00 on Thursday 28 October 2010.

http://goo.gl/5mf7

I borrowed Heavy Rain off a friend this week... it needed a 1.1GB patch for Move support before I could play it (with a DS3) :doh:

I gave up on Uncharted 1 half-way through, just couldn't take any more tbh it was just so repetitive. The demo of U2 was good though I imagine the full game is much more enjoyable and varied than the prequel?

Overall though I'm really enjoying the PS3, had it a month now and barely touched my 360 in that time.

Updates on ps3 are awful - I bought motorstorm:PR a few weeks back and went to show it to a mate - queue patching process - after 5 minutes he couldn't be bothered to wait anymore - off it went.

I'm on my 4th ps3 now (I keep selling them cos they get no use) and I'm finding it a much better experience this time - they've sorted a lot of the things I hated before (including tidying up PAIN and it's previously incredible download patching issues).

I don't really understand the whole find Uncharted 1 boring but love Uncharted 2 things. Yes U2 is better but fundamentally they are very similar games, in fact the mechanics are almost identical, U2 just has some better set pieces.

The again I love both of them so I guess I just don't understand people disliking either of them, my favourite series this gen by a mile and worth getting a PS3 for in my opinion.

My setup is a Sony Bravia kdl40v3000. It's capable of 1080p but watching prince of Persia on bluray, it didn't seem amazing or anything. It might Be the film transfer or it might be my specific settings (which I've fiddled with after checking 'best settings' on various websites).

If you haven't done it already turn your 'sharpness' off completely, when I first got my Bravia this was the setting that made the difference between 'meh' and 'fuck'.

I borrowed Heavy Rain off a friend this week... it needed a 1.1GB patch for Move support before I could play it (with a DS3) :doh:

Updates on ps3 are awful - I bought motorstorm:PR a few weeks back and went to show it to a mate - queue patching process - after 5 minutes he couldn't be bothered to wait anymore - off it went.

And what happened when you disconnected from the internet before running the game (or cancel the update, if that is possible)? You did do that, didn't you? :unsure:

My setup is a Sony Bravia kdl40v3000. It's capable of 1080p but watching prince of Persia on bluray, it didn't seem amazing or anything. It might Be the film transfer or it might be my specific settings (which I've fiddled with after checking 'best settings' on various websites).

I'm assuming that's a 40 inch telly? HD movies- especially 1080p, comes far more alive on 50inch plus screens with stuff like blu rays I find. It's why upscaled dvds might not look that different to you combined with everything Gorf said.

Mine is 37inch and from where I sit a few feet away I can't tell the difference between a 720p and 1080p video for the most part. Stick something like Planet Earth or 2001 on and you'll be far more impressed though.

devil may cry 4 good? Worthwhile getting god of war collection before god of war 3?

GOW are great games, but you might get bored if you play all 3 in succession.

I'd say play GOW 3 first, then perhaps go back to the collection if you enjoyed it.

Devil May Cry 4's the 3rd best DMC game! That's not saying much though, there's better games to play.

Just finished Uncharted. Really overstayed its welcome towards the end, mainly because of the awful combat and wave after wave of enemies. The last boss fight in particular really made me RAAAAAAAAGE! Having said that, however, I still enjoyed the overall experience and I'm glad I finished it and I look forward to the second. I just hope there is more exploration and less shit combat...

Just finished Uncharted. Really overstayed its welcome towards the end, mainly because of the awful combat and wave after wave of enemies. The last boss fight in particular really made me RAAAAAAAAGE! Having said that, however, I still enjoyed the overall experience and I'm glad I finished it and I look forward to the second. I just hope there is more exploration and less shit combat...

Not really, but the combat is much more fun. It doesn't feel like 'Oh great, another wave of t-shirted pirates' like the first game. Anyway, if you like Uncharted you will :wub: the second game because it's a huge improvement.

There's zilch exploration in the second compared to the first; I hated part two and even returned it because it had grown into a full-blown third-person shooter with an awful lot of scripted set-pieces. And I loved part 1. The adventure bits from the first are almost nowhere to be found in the second and what's there is pathetically and at times insultingly easy.

It can be quite a rush if you give in to the shooter mechanics, but personally I was constantly disappointed as the adventure-parts refused to kick in. To add insult to injury, it even gives you a horrible stealth sequence after the opening. Biggest disappointment of 2009.

There's zilch exploration in the second compared to the first; I hated part two and even returned it because it had grown into a full-blown third-person shooter with an awful lot of scripted set-pieces. And I loved part 1. The adventure bits from the first are almost nowhere to be found in the second and what's there is pathetically and at times insultingly easy.

It can be quite a rush if you give in to the shooter mechanics, but personally I was constantly disappointed as the adventure-parts refused to kick in. To add insult to injury, it even gives you a horrible stealth sequence after the opening. Biggest disappointment of 2009.

I'm loving U2 right now, and I don't mind the set-pieces, mainly because my lifestyle now doesn't allow for longer, drawn-out games (I've two young children and my own business). I gave up on Fallout 3 cos I just wasn't getting enough entertainment out of my limited gaming time (1-3 hours a week, usually broken up). So U2 is pretty much the opposite of that.

Visually, it's second to none, and I enjoy the combat in this, probably cos I'm not all that great at games.

However, I was a tad disappointed that some of the massive, temple-based puzzly bits required very little thought at all. I was really looking forward to getting my teeth into those, but it was always v obvious what you needed to do next.

Still, in terms of sheer spectacle, I'm finding it a fantastic roller coaster ride, albeit not a patch on something like Resident Evil 4 (but what is?).

If by 'cheap' you mean £29.99 for the 'new and improved' Move Edition then, no, not really. It seems all stores have removed it from the shelves in order to push the Move version.

Also, is Move any good, or is it just another gimmicky thing that looks like a glow in the dark sex toy?

So then, friends! Now that the dust has settled, what was the verdict on Heavy Rain in the end? Worth a go?

I'm about half-way through it. I dunno, it reminds me a lot of those "interactive movies" we saw in the mid-90s when CD-ROM took off in a big way. Also chuck in a bit of Dragon's Lair for good measure!

I'm not really feeling all that connected to it either, the introduction was good but since then it's really failed to make an impact on me. "How far would you go to save someone you love?" Well none of the characters are particularly likeable so I don't feel any emotion for them. If they get hurt or die I don't really care to be honest.

My mate who I borrowed the game from loved it, played it twice back to back to get different endings. On the other hand I feel like I'm playing a low budget rip-off of Se7en where they hired a bunch of actors from Days of Our Lives.

I'll complete it, as I am curious about how the story is going to pan out... but I would never play it again. Rent it over a weekend but don't pay £20+ for it.