A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

I've not bought mine yet (next week, hopefully) and I'm buying mine for the same reasons as you (wanted a Bluray player, also wanted to play exclusives and when you see the cheapest, shittest Bluray player is about £120, and extra £150 for a PS3 with a game or two seems a bargain).

My best mate traded his 360 in against a PS3 last week and is loving it. He said it's a more 'mature' console. Not quite sure what he meant by that, to be honest, but he sent me an email about what he'd discovered so far:

Which is promising, so check out some of that stuff if it takes your fancy. I won't be ditching my 360 like he did cus I love it too much, but I am really excited about playing with a new console, new games etc :wub:

PS: I'm trading my Wii in against the PS3. Bag of shite has been gathering dust for two years!

Can your friend Kaz get me a job at Sony? Two years! Can't believe you didn't dust it off for New Super Mario.

Who is Kaz?

I found the Wii great at first, but got fed up of the lack of great games and developers crowbarring in waggle at every opportunity.

And I never finished Super Mario Galaxy, so didn't buy New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy 2. Just lost interest, I guess. Didn't finish Zelda, either.

Ahh, shit. I don't know what angle I could possibly use with Sony, considering I've had the console for three years, and it's well out of warranty. I guess I'll just have to sell it as faulty and buy a new one. At least the DTS-MA/TrueHD logo will light up on my amp now! :P

Is the HDD as easy to change on a Slim as it is on the original?

^ This, I guess :(

I've seen a 320GB with a PS Move starter pack and Medal of Honour or FIFA 11 for about £280ish, which is probably what I'll go for.

You could use the angle that its a known fault with the 360 and you are well inside the 6 years for satisfactory quality. Take it up with whoever you have bought it from though rather than Sony, and don't be fobbed off.

You could use the angle that its a known fault with the 360 and you are well inside the 6 years for satisfactory quality. Take it up with whoever you have bought it from though rather than Sony, and don't be fobbed off.

I don't know if a known fault with the 360 would convince Sony customer services to fix his PS3 :P

Who is Kaz?

I found the Wii great at first, but got fed up of the lack of great games and developers crowbarring in waggle at every opportunity.

And I never finished Super Mario Galaxy, so didn't buy New Super Mario Bros or Mario Galaxy 2. Just lost interest, I guess. Didn't finish Zelda, either.

The Kaz comment was because your friend sounded like a PR list written by Sony. Kaz Harai is the Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer man.

I'm fine with people trading in something they never use for something they feel they would get more out of but the whole "bag of shite with no games" attitude just seems to be a lazy excuse used on these forums a lot when it comes to the Wii.

Just glancing to the shelf on my left I see A Boy and his Blob, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Rabbids Go Home, Mad World, Muramasa, Red Steel 2, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill, New Super Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Little King's Story, Deadly Creatures, No More Heroes 2, The Darkside Chronicles, A Shadow's Tale, Let's Tap, Capcom VS Tatsunoko, Klonoa, Boom Blox Bash Party and Monster Hunter Tri. All released in the last two years and ranging from good to excellent and more importantly, all "hardcore" games.

I hate to turn it into a list post but I also hate lazy criticism.

Enjoy the PS3 though, it's great.

The Kaz comment was because your friend sounded like a PR list written by Sony. Kaz Harai is the Riiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer man.

I'm fine with people trading in something they never use for something they feel they would get more criticism but the whole "bag of shite with no games" attitude just seems to be a lazy excuse used on these forums a lot when it comes to the Wii.

Just glancing to the shelf on my left I see A Boy and his Blob, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Rabbids Go Home, Mad World, Muramasa, Red Steel 2, Dead Space Extraction, House of the Dead Overkill, New Super Mario, Super Mario Galaxy 2, Little King's Story, Deadly Creatures, No More Heroes 2, The Darkside Chronicles, A Shadow's Tale, Let's Tap, Capcom VS Tatsunoko, Klonoa, Boom Blox Bash Party and Monster Hunter Tri. All released in the last two years and ranging from good to excellent and more importantly, all "hardcore" games.

I hate to turn it into a list post but I also hate lazy criticism.

Enjoy the PS3 though, it's great.

I was thinking pretty much exactly this the other day.

The whole "has no games" claim just doesn't stand up to even the lightest of scrutiny. It's missing many of the big third party titles, but it's not as if it has an anaemic back catalogue, and there's plenty of quality on the way. Hell even stuff like Conduit 2 looks decent, and Sonic Colours looks to be the best 3D Sonic game... ever, to say nothing of the new Kirby, Donkey Kong and Goldeneye games.

Well, I managed to get a 320GB PS3 Slim, PS Move Starter Pack, Tiger Woods 11 and Medal of Honor for £284.99 from GameStation. I traded my current PS Move Starter Pack and a few games towards it too (pricematched with CEX, no doubt), which knocked about £110 off, and I got £10 of points on the new loyalty card. So not a bad job, really!

I'm still going to ring Sony about my current YLOD PS3. But damn, the new one is so fucking lovely.

Well, I managed to get a 320GB PS3 Slim, PS Move Starter Pack, Tiger Woods 11 and Medal of Honor for £284.99 from GameStation. I traded my current PS Move Starter Pack and a few games towards it too (pricematched with CEX, no doubt), which knocked about £110 off, and I got £10 of points on the new loyalty card. So not a bad job, really!

I'm still going to ring Sony about my current YLOD PS3. But damn, the new one is so fucking lovely.

If the problem is the ylod, it is quite easy to fix: at least to enable you to get your hard drive data onto your slim.

You only need a heat gun (I can lend you mind) and some thermal paste

oh bugger, my 3 year old 60 gig packed up tonight (ironically, a few days after getting a slim - was gonna put the 60 gig in the bedroom!) Looks like YLOD but the yellow light only appears for less than a second before it shuts down. Guess thats normal for a YLOD?

Anyway, ive got a load of stuff on there, films and tv programmes etc. Is there really no way of getting this data off by taking the hard drive out, putting it in a caddy (or what ever they are called)and attaching it to a PC to copy it over to my pc?

The stuff is easily replaceable and i managed to transfer my saves over 2 days ago but would like to save the films if possible.

Also, anyone ever used a 3rd party company to repair their PS3? Seen these guys http://ps-pros.co.uk/ and they aint far from where i work. Anyone used them? ta

oh bugger, my 3 year old 60 gig packed up tonight (ironically, a few days after getting a slim - was gonna put the 60 gig in the bedroom!) Looks like YLOD but the yellow light only appears for less than a second before it shuts down. Guess thats normal for a YLOD?

Anyway, ive got a load of stuff on there, films and tv programmes etc. Is there really no way of getting this data off by taking the hard drive out, putting it in a caddy (or what ever they are called)and attaching it to a PC to copy it over to my pc?

The stuff is easily replaceable and i managed to transfer my saves over 2 days ago but would like to save the films if possible.

Also, anyone ever used a 3rd party company to repair their PS3? Seen these guys http://ps-pros.co.uk/ and they aint far from where i work. Anyone used them? ta

There is no way of accessing the HDD, short of repairing the console. Yes, it sucks. They can be repaired, there are videos on Youtube detailing the process. Dunno about those repair guys, I'm sure they are fine if you are doing the as you wait service and are happy to pay the dosh. Sony would sting you for double that.

There is no way of accessing the HDD, short of repairing the console. Yes, it sucks. They can be repaired, there are videos on Youtube detailing the process. Dunno about those repair guys, I'm sure they are fine if you are doing the as you wait service and are happy to pay the dosh. Sony would sting you for double that.

Cheers for that, yeah, sucks that you cant get the data off. There are some very detailed videos on youtube but my complete lack of talent doing anything DIY related stops me. Probably go and get it repaired. They replied to me saying that the data will be saved.

In other news, God of War Collection is apparently coming onto PSN for download...

...£24

Amazon want £16.99 for the disc based version

:facepalm:

Cheers for that, yeah, sucks that you cant get the data off. There are some very detailed videos on youtube but my complete lack of talent doing anything DIY related stops me. Probably go and get it repaired. They replied to me saying that the data will be saved.

In other news, God of War Collection is apparently coming onto PSN for download...

...£24

Amazon want £16.99 for the disc based version

:facepalm:

Actually, it's £12 per game, without any bonus content. (small distinction, but still). I never understood why the initial release wasn't on PSN anyway, after all they refused a EU release for a while and it could easily have gone up.

My advice to you: be prepared to spend half your first day with the PS3 updating shit (especially LBP, dunno about uncharted or GOW3, havent played them yet). After that, enjoy! It is a fine console despite the 'quirks'. :)

Only if he is connected to the internet. He can get away with playing straight away if he doesn't connect.

Dear Sony,

Can you please fix it for me that you fire whatever idiot is in charge of running the PSN? It seems every other week I'm presented with a background that obscures the list of games I might want to hand over money for.

FUSony.jpg

This is getting ridiculous. I could excuse it if the above example was a one time affair but the bad man never seems to learn his lesson.

Lots of love,

Beertiger

Dear Sony,

Can you please fix it for me that you fire whatever idiot is in charge of running the PSN? It seems every other week I'm presented with a background that obscures the list of games I might want to hand over money for.

This is getting ridiculous. I could excuse it if the above example was a one time affair but the bad man never seems to learn his lesson.

Lots of love,

Beertiger

I've never had a problem and the store looks different for me. 'ere, what does that view mode button do?

I am thoroughly enjoying my new ps3. God of War 3 is epic and Little Big Planet is fun, too. I'm returning Uncharted tomorrow to get the correct disc and will be playing that tomorrow night. I also bought Wipeout HD and the Fury pack, which is some brilliant old school fun ^_^

One thing I've noticed is that the ps3 won't upscale LBP to 1080p, even if you disable 720p in the display settings. Instead, it knocks it down to shitty standard-o-vision, so I guess I must settle for 720p.

Finally, I only have Prince of Persia on bluray, but I'm really not seeing the jump in quality between DVD and bluray yet. Very disappointed with that.

I am thoroughly enjoying my new ps3. God of War 3 is epic and Little Big Planet is fun, too. I'm returning Uncharted tomorrow to get the correct disc and will be playing that tomorrow night. I also bought Wipeout HD and the Fury pack, which is some brilliant old school fun ^_^

One thing I've noticed is that the ps3 won't upscale LBP to 1080p, even if you disable 720p in the display settings. Instead, it knocks it down to shitty standard-o-vision, so I guess I must settle for 720p.

Finally, I only have Prince of Persia on bluray, but I'm really not seeing the jump in quality between DVD and bluray yet. Very disappointed with that.

FYI: the DVD upscaler in the PS3 is a bit too good at its own game at times. I only started noticing a proper difference when I popped in something high in detail like Planet Earth. I doubt the standard film fare will make much of a difference on Blu-ray.

I had a look at a friends ps3 today, it was displaying the ylod, I took off the cover and was greeted with this :blink:

ps3dust.jpg

This is an 80gb ps3 which is less than two years old! He is a smoker but not an excessive one, this picture should be a heads up to all those who use a ps3 in a smoky environment, its also useful as an anti smoking warning.

I'm returning Uncharted tomorrow to get the correct disc and will be playing that tomorrow night.

They gave you U2 and you are replacing it for the 1st one? won't it be cheaper to keep it and then buy uncharted 1 separately? Or are both versions around the same price?