A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Is Lovefilm's free streaming service really still that dire? I was really looking forward to it, then I looked last night and saw there were actually only a handful of decent movies that were "free", i.e. anyone with just a subscription only could watch. The rest of the new releases and popular stuff you had to pay about £2.50 or above on top of that to view once. If that's the case, it makes the trailer they've put out misleading as they seem to imply you can watch everything, like The Hangover on there for free.

Now compare that to Netflix, which seems to say you can see big and new movies like Up or Paranormal Activity streaming for a flat subscription fee and it's a little disappointing. Or am I reading it wrong? Picture quality aside, is Lovefilm's streaming worse than it looks? It sure looks like it.

Streaming is at a very low resolution - here's a screencap of a stream at its native res:

post-663-086003200 1287475853_thumb.jpg

It's ok at that resolution, but imagine it scaled up to 1080p. It's not especially pretty, and I don't imagine the streams on PS3 will be any different.

As for what's available for free to subscribers as part of their package (as long as their sub is £5.99 or more a month), you're right, it doesn't usually include new releases. It also contains a lot of tat. But there's plenty there that's decent: page one of the service, which shows the first 50 highest member-rated free 'films' (many are actually episodes of TV programmes), includes OldBoy, Let the Right One In, Downfall, Chopper, The Machinist, Requiem for a Dream, The Third Man, Team America - World Police, Ring (JP), Napoleon Dynamite, Festen, Collateral, Seven, The Seventh Seal, Audition, a bunch of Peep Show episodes, and so on. So it's more s supplement to the rental service than it is one in itself, and does have a limited selection, but at the same time there's stuff there you won't easily find at, say, Blockbuster, or on services like the PSN/Zune console rental services (like Murnau's original Nosferatu, Ki-Duk Kim's Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter... and Spring, Suzie Templeton's brilliant Peter and the Wolf animation, Peter Jackson's Braindead, Hal Ashby's Harold and Maude, Bergman's Wild Strawberries, and so on. I'd regard it as something you might occasionally want to dip into, a nice bonus if you're already a LoveFilm subscriber rather than anything else. But the quality of the stream is a shame. I guess I'll have to wait and see how well it's upscaled by the PS3.

But there's plenty there that's decent

Aye, I agree there's some decent free stuff in there and some things I wouldn't mind seeing (or seeing again in most cases). But you compare it to Netflix and it's pretty weak.

As for the quality, I don't mind it for the sake of convenience. There are some films I don't really care how they look. Others, I'll definitely want the 1080p experience.

I might have imagined this, but I think Fat Princess was reduced temporarily only a couple of months ago, so you'll be waiting a little while yet.

(Unless they decide on a permanent price reduction, which they probably won't.).

EDIT: It was July.

Sorry, forgot to say it's a US account :)

So I'm now a proud owner of a PS3 Slim 320gb.

Is there anything cool I need to be aware of?

So far my initial experience has been disappointing. Some very long downloads to update the machine, which then took ages to install, followed by acceptance of terms and conditions that were unskippable, having to scroll for minutes to get to the bottom before I could click accept.

The menu system doesn't seem very intuitive. I wanted to download some games, but couldn't really find the option anywhere. Probably going to get negged to fuck for this, but I prefer the 360 dashboard as everything seems to be where you would expect it to be. Am I missing something here?

I really want to like it.....

As a blu ray player though, its fantastic. Please tell me I haven't just bought a blu ray player.

So I'm now a proud owner of a PS3 Slim 320gb.

Is there anything cool I need to be aware of?

So far my initial experience has been disappointing. Some very long downloads to update the machine, which then took ages to install, followed by acceptance of terms and conditions that were unskippable, having to scroll for minutes to get to the bottom before I could click accept.

The menu system doesn't seem very intuitive. I wanted to download some games, but couldn't really find the option anywhere. Probably going to get negged to fuck for this, but I prefer the 360 dashboard as everything seems to be where you would expect it to be. Am I missing something here?

I really want to like it.....

As a blu ray player though, its fantastic. Please tell me I haven't just bought a blu ray player.

Maybe try some games?

EDIT: I see you tried to download some. Are you having trouble creating a PSN account? Once you do that, it's totally straightforward.

Maybe try some games?

EDIT: I see you tried to download some. Are you having trouble creating a PSN account? Once you do that, it's totally straightforward.

I have PSN account set up. I think. I tried "Home" and created an avatar in that, and had a run around and stuff, but that isn't what I was after (though it was fun). Anyway, I had to create a PSN account to access home, so I assume that I have one set up.

With regards to games, are there any PS3 exclusives that are worth dropping cash on. I wouldn't get a cross platform game on the PS3 as most of my friends are on xbox live / have xbox 360s so I'd buy it for that, just for the social aspect.

I'd get motorstorm, if only to satisfy my mate who is one of the lead designers in the game. Though I need to stay away from the motorstorm 2 as my ex gf is one of the characters (long story) and current gf would go off her tits to know that my ex is immortalised as a video game character.

women eh? :rolleyes:

Why'd you get a PS3?

Well I'd wanted one for a while, but the price had always put me off, couldn't justify it to myself.

Recently I bought a new TV, wanted a blu ray player. A friend recommended the ps3 as the player is pretty good, plus it allows me to justify to myself dropping £250 on another console. Two in one baby.

I just know there must be some ace PS3 exclusives out there. I enjoyed playing on it when I was at a friends house, particularly Motorstorm, God of War (I think) and Demons Souls (I think).

Create a new profile. You can't "unjoin" a profile from a PSN account once it's been created/linked.

Thanks, but I did try that. I tried making a new user profile and signing in with a new PSN account that hasn't ever been used (created on playstation.com) and it just says something like 'can't sign in with another's account'.

Well I'd wanted one for a while, but the price had always put me off, couldn't justify it to myself.

Recently I bought a new TV, wanted a blu ray player. A friend recommended the ps3 as the player is pretty good, plus it allows me to justify to myself dropping £250 on another console. Two in one baby.

I just know there must be some ace PS3 exclusives out there. I enjoyed playing on it when I was at a friends house, particularly Motorstorm, God of War (I think) and Demons Souls (I think).

http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/all/ps3?sort=desc

Disregard any non-exclusives. That'll start you off!

I've not bought mine yet (next week, hopefully) and I'm buying mine for the same reasons as you (wanted a Bluray player, also wanted to play exclusives and when you see the cheapest, shittest Bluray player is about £120, and extra £150 for a PS3 with a game or two seems a bargain).

My best mate traded his 360 in against a PS3 last week and is loving it. He said it's a more 'mature' console. Not quite sure what he meant by that, to be honest, but he sent me an email about what he'd discovered so far:

The PS3 does loads of cool things' date=' e.g:

[list']

[*]Copying movies and music directly to the hard drive

[*]More compatible with HD movies and supports subs

[*]Blu-ray (although I’m not massively bothered about that)

[*]Has some nice features like video editor, image albums and stuff. Might not use them, but cool nonetheless.

[*]There is a full internet browser

[*]It has bluetooth and is well connected in general. I can use my cordless Mac keyboard with it, which is great. I can also send images etc. from the phone straight to the console. You can plug in any USB keyboard as well as printers.

[*]A PSP can be used as another controller

[*]The music visualisations are way better than the ‘1990s’ style 360 ones. Something that always bugged me for some reason

[*]The Playstion Store is pounds sterling! No more friggen stupid Microsoft points!!!

[*]It’s free to play online

[*]It supports full 1080p HD, a feature you don’t get on the old white 360

[*]Cool menu system and loads of settings to play around with, if you’re into that sort of thing

[*]You can back up the entire HDD drive if you need to, without having to invest in yet another Microsoft peripheral!

[*]The controllers charger via the console (although annoying only when it’s turned on) without having to invest in yet another Microsoft peripheral!

[*]Siaxis thingy adds another level of fun to some games, but isn’t exactly ground breaking

[*]Exclusive games, that in my opinion, are better than the 360 exclusives

That’s all I can think of for now. There’s probably other stuff.

Which is promising, so check out some of that stuff if it takes your fancy. I won't be ditching my 360 like he did cus I love it too much, but I am really excited about playing with a new console, new games etc :wub:

PS: I'm trading my Wii in against the PS3. Bag of shite has been gathering dust for two years!

Thanks, but I did try that. I tried making a new user profile and signing in with a new PSN account that hasn't ever been used (created on playstation.com) and it just says something like 'can't sign in with another's account'.

I've never tried making an account on the website, but I think you need to make a brand new account through the PS3.

Shit, my 3-year-old PS3 is dead, it seems :( The light flashes yellow quickly, and then it has a constant red flashing light. I don't use it for many games, but it's my complete media hub - playing downloaded videos and Blu-Rays, and watching and recording Freeview with PlayTV, so I cannot be without one.

Anyone on here know how to fix that particular problem? After a little Googling, it seems Sony will want £160ish to repair, so for that I might as well sell it and buy a new Slim model and sell this as faulty. I take it there's no way of retrieving any data I had stored on my old one? :doh:

Sounds like a YLOD. Not sure of any reliable DIY fixes. I managed to get a free repair out of Sony when mine died but that was because of a long series of discussions over the phone. I think the fact some dodgy information was given to me by some customer representatives at an early stage was the reason I got a free repair. It may be worth looking into 3rd party repair companies if you get nowhere with Sony.

There's no way to retrieve data unless your current PS3 comes to life again. You can't swap HDDs as a new PS3 would wipe it. I don't think there's a way to connect it to a PC and take the information off either. Try fighting your corner against Sony first and see how you get on. Good luck.

Sounds like a YLOD. Not sure of any reliable DIY fixes. I managed to get a free repair out of Sony when mine died but that was because of a long series of discussions over the phone. I think the fact some dodgy information was given to me by some customer representatives at an early stage was the reason I got a free repair. It may be worth looking into 3rd party repair companies if you get nowhere with Sony.

There's no way to retrieve data unless your current PS3 comes to life again. You can't swap HDDs as a new PS3 would wipe it. I don't think there's a way to connect it to a PC and take the information off either. Try fighting your corner against Sony first and see how you get on. Good luck.

Ahh, shit. I don't know what angle I could possibly use with Sony, considering I've had the console for three years, and it's well out of warranty. I guess I'll just have to sell it as faulty and buy a new one. At least the DTS-MA/TrueHD logo will light up on my amp now! :P

Is the HDD as easy to change on a Slim as it is on the original?

Anyone bought a PS3 in recent weeks and can point to who has the best deals on at the moment?

^ This, I guess :(

I've seen a 320GB with a PS Move starter pack and Medal of Honour or FIFA 11 for about £280ish, which is probably what I'll go for.