A thread for PS3 owners here 2011

Worst case for this was Burnout, which I only recently got. Luckily I planned in advance and set off the download 2 hours before I wanted to play...! It still hadn't finished when I came back.

But other older games have been fine and dandy.

Took me just over an hour to install a demo from a disc, and then update the demo and then the PS3 firmware. All appeared mandatory but there may have been a decline option I missed. It's brilliant when it gets running though so don't be put off by it! I advise you give the PSMove a go, Sports Champions is amazing (devoid of any charm but plays great).

Really? God. I used my girlfriend's Netflix account before it blocked non-US IPs, and it was amazing. It streamed 720p pretty well. Why can't we get Netflix?

I hope the indie film service (I keep forgetting the name) hasn't been canned.

MUBI (the thing that used to be The Auteurs)? Afaik, there's nothing been said to contradict the blog post in August announcing that the service will come to PS3 sometime this month.

Of course, it'll be SD, the same as LoveFilm's online offerings, so nothing like the 720p Netfilx you enjoyed. I hope it's encoded better than the LoveFilm stuff, but I doubt it'll be all that much better. I'll be sure to give it a try when it appears, though.

Wow, really? :huh:

Why is that, then? Do you have to put every game on the hard drive or can they play from disc?

I think it had to download something like 1.2 GB before I could play... or seemed to be able to play.

It downloads the entire DLC so that if you buy it then you just unlock it. Plus alot of new bits (some weather effects, bikes... other stuff)

I'd read the burnout thread before purchasing so i was well aware!

It's worth it though, amazing game.

Why is that, then? Do you have to put every game on the hard drive or can they play from disc?

I think Burnout and Everybodys Golf are the two titles famous for having a crazy number of updates and patches. Most games would be a five/ten minute annoyance.

I think Burnout and Everybodys Golf are the two titles famous for having a crazy number of updates and patches. Most games would be a five/ten minute annoyance.

I bought Everybody's Golf the other day and it only took about ten minutes. The guy I bought it from said it was going to take hours too, don't know if they've changed it? Not that this is particularly useful, or even relevant.

I bought Everybody's Golf the other day and it only took about ten minutes. The guy I bought it from said it was going to take hours too, don't know if they've changed it? Not that this is particularly useful, or even relevant.

Been online with it yet?

Yeah, it's the various patches and DLC that are the reason why. Unfortunately, if you want to play it online then you have to download it all. That said, some of the games are also sold as a "complete edition" or "ultimate box" at retail which has all the updates and DLC stuff already added so if you're a latecomer, it's best to look for those versions.

No, not all games need to be installed (although some will insist). That's separate to patches and added DLC though.

Free Fallout 3 DLC coming to PS+

Another common piece of feedback is that you were unhappy with the lack of game add-on packs provided in the last PlayStation Plus update. In response, we have teamed up with Bethesda Softworks to make all of the Fallout 3 DLC available to Plus subscribers for free, as the release of Fallout: New Vegas draws tantalisingly near. Please be aware that these packs will be in the Plus section of PlayStation Store for one week only, from the following dates:

13 October

Fallout 3: Point Lookout

Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta

Fallout 3: Operation: Anchorage

20 October

Fallout 3: Broken Steel

Fallout 3: The Pitt

Finally, we have been able to secure an exclusive multiplayer demo of Split/Second: Velocity for Plus members, which will available from the Plus section of PlayStation Store and via automatic download. If you haven’t checked out the game already, it’s an action racer set in Jerry Bruckheimer’s teenage mind and is well worth a blast.

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2010/10/12/playstation-plus-update-12-october-2010/

:)

I think the rule is you should get all of them except Broken Steel.

As Broken Steel takes place after the events of Fallout 3 and raises the level cap, it populates the world with some double hard bastards who'll easily wipe the floor with low level characters.

You should install that one once you reach the level cap or are nearing the end of the game. The others you can install whenever you want and you'll receive a message in game telling you to check out a related area.

I don't see why not. You'll just have to make sure you download it in a queue with your PS3 on. As far as I'm aware it automatically installs items that are not downloaded in the background, items that are in the queue when the PS3 is set to automatically switch off and items that are downloaded through the PS+ auto download thing.

Ah right cool. I might have to look into that then. Can you download the DLC but not install it? I.e. maybe leaving the Broken Steel patch until later in the game but still getting it during the limited period?

Download the DLC like normal then simply pause or cancel the download under the Network section of the XMB. You can re-download it at any time from your download list, accessibly via the Store and account management.

The important thing to remember is that Plus content is not free, it's inclusive. When your subscription ends you're locked out of any 'free' content you downloaded, unless you renew; this doesn't apply to anything you've paid money for, such as a discounted PSN game, that's yours forever. In other words, you could sign up to 3 months of Plus to download the Fallout 3 DLC but playing the game outside that 3 month period could prove problematic — I imagine an F3 save might become unusable if some of the DLC is no longer present.

DLC in Plus does not expire.

That's what I was hoping (thought it might be like that as it would a technical nightmare to implement expiring DLC I would imagine!)

So, what is the cheapest way to get on to PS+ to do a smash and grab on this free DLC?