Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

Quazi I order you to start focus absorbing fireballs at once. Also juri can surely almost go toe to toe with gouken in a fireball war, just neutralise his fireballs with her kick and then shoot stored low ones at his withered and gnarled feet.

Or SOMETHING I don't know.

Like I said, I don't know what I was thinking at the time. I guess I thought that I could beat his fireball recovery or something? Under normal circumstances I'd just get in with the forward Kasatushi. Or just use the backward Kasatushi all day and see who got bored first.

E: and yes I'll probably be on this evening for more punishment

I'll be on for a bit, I think. Earlier than usual though, I have an early start tomorrow.

So, Persona. It's Blazblue with bells on really, and a bit of a headfuck, but it looks delightful and was quite easy to pick up and play.

It's four buttons, ABCD, but is different to BB. A and B are light and heavy 'character' attacks, C and D summon your Persona. These are blockable and hugely punishable - if your Persona takes four hits it's out of the match until a meter recharges.

I spent most of the time just doing ABC chains into QCF specials with a super cancel, but there's more to it than that of course (and less - you can do AAAA for a multi-hit chain that is way more than just light attacks). There's a flurry mode, activated with two buttons, and if it hits you mash A and try to get to 15 hits, at which point you can do a one button launcher or something else I can't remember.

It's got Blazblue's burst, but as well as a combo breaker it blows up blockstun and can be used FADC-style in combos. It recharges, too, unlike BB's.

There are no tricky inputs, no 360s, half-circles or even DPs. Just quarter-circles and charge moves. Apparently the tutorial is much quicker, and kinder, than in BB. Story mode sounds great for once - 1.5 to 2 hours for each of the 13 characters. It's Atlus' biggest-ever job in terms of dialogue.

It's probably the best-looking fighting game I've ever seen.

Oh! Super meter is four stocks, but when you have less than 30% life it extends to six and gives you two free stocks, as well as a damage boost. That's quite cool.

That's about it, really. if you read this post you have to buy Edge 244.

Nice P4 impressions :) I saw a tutorial video of some sort a while ago and it looked straightforward enough, although trying to remember everything in the middle of a battle could take a while...

Any idea about the netcode?

Haha, yes, he is the best. Also I like the comment on Eventhubs saying that Triforce has "confirmed" that the documentary is all staged. People still don't seem to realise that Triforce is not the most credible source on matters pertaining to Triforce.

Additional also, I beat BilledPlatypus' 10,000BP/3,000PP Gouken with Chun just now. I give a lot of the credit to Imp for helping me shake of the rust. Ryu, Sim and Gief were alway my three favourite opponents with Chun, and those games against Ryu reminded me how to play her again. I'm always hesitant to pick ultra 1 against Gouken because the timing is different against his fireballs. His whole fireball animation is about the same as the other shotos, but the fireball is released much later into it, so if you activate when the fireball is already travelling then he often recovers in time. However, I felt good about it after playing Ryu a bunch of times and went with it and I ended up taking the match with a fireball punish. I'm also blocking a lot more as a result of those games, and also from playing as Guy who has a similarly all or nothing reversal. In the last round he had me cornered and did this long flurry of fireballs into frame traps and I just sat there and blocked. I didn't jump back, back dash or do a stupid reversal, I just blocked. It takes a whole lot of willpower for me to do that.

I then saw a gap and wall jumped out and backed off to just under maximum Hosenka range, whiffing all the big elaborate looking normals possible to disguise my charge. At that point I just mentally counted beats in my head until that moment where everyone wants to throw a fireball. He cracked, I suspected he'd crack at that moment and I activated as soon as the blue had left his hands. I imagine he was quite upset at himself. Don't test the JL-eye, as Imp would say.

Nice P4 impressions :) I saw a tutorial video of some sort a while ago and it looked straightforward enough, although trying to remember everything in the middle of a battle could take a while...

Any idea about the netcode?

It's aksys, so I amigine it'll be immaculate.

Ggs Hegg.

It took me about five games to adjust to the fact that you play Bison like an absolute lunatic, so I was walking into ultras and eating every EX move you decided to throw out. I wish I was good at auto correct ultra 1 to punish blocked EX psycho crusher but I've never had the timing for it. Must work on that before I play you again.

Oh man Persona sounds nice. I really enjoyed BB while we had some online stuffs going. No DPs and 360s sounds like my kinda game too! :D

I really really enjoyed Indie Game The Movie the other night. Amazed that it kept the ladychum's attention for the whole length too! It's just a very emotional and captivating thing and there's no requirement to be in love with the devs involved to enjoy it. I agree with Joffo that Edmund comes out the best. It's still fascinating to see all the psychological quirks of the chaps, it makes me feel that some of that stuff is required if you're going to endure and succeed in the way they did.

Hegg utterly destroyed me last night time after time. It was excellent. Including a lovely Guile anti-air super with an Ultra 2 juggle as a beautiful finish. And some T Hawk Raging Slash to grab me out of EX Messiah Kick nonsense. Ah; Street Fighter!

Oh, can you raging slash fat rufus as he's fatly fatting about doing his jesus kick? At what point can you catch the obese monstrosity, exactly? I quite like the toby/rufus matchup, df.lp+lk blows up instant divekick/throw pressure like it ain't no thang and all of a sudden he can't galactic tornado when you have U1 stocked.

You can catch any airborne move, surely? You're pretty invincible during it. I dunno if it has the horizontal range to catch backdashes? JLM will know.

I think that it catches backdashes in the corner, but not midscreen, I'm pretty sure I've seen it whiff then. I might have caught donut backdashing with it. Either that or he was holding jump on wakeup and I read him like a childrens storybook (very slowly and with my fingers pointing out the letters). It's a much better anti-air than blizzard, though, so it has that going for it.

Will people be getting and playing Persona then?

Yes, if only because I'm a sucker for Persona stuff.

I will definitely be buying it. DEFINITELY. I should probably try to complete Persona 4 at some point.

I completed it once, and then again for the best ending, but I always play on Easy... :blush: It's worth finishing though.

My quest to get back to the lofty heights of 3,000PP is proving to be frustrating. The problem with ranked is how little time you have to adjust between playing good players and wildly mashing crazies. I've had several occasions now where I'll win nine or ten games in a row, get up to 2950, then lose to a flowchart Ken and drop 140 points.

I had some games against F-Word and a couple of other killers as well. Losing to them is fun because you feel like you can make changes to what you're doing based on what they do, and you notice them doing the same. Most of my game is baits, reads and trying to condition the opponent or learn their habits. I enjoy the satisfaction of winning a round with a meaty throw when they have full super and full ultra because I've worked hard on convincing them not to do anything.

There are so many players on ranked where what they do makes no sense and bears no relation to what else has happened in the match, and I have to quickly remind myself to not press anything ever and wait for glaring punish opportunities. When I've just fought three or four good players in a row I won't be in that mindset and that's when I'll lose. I go back and forth with players on my level, I can over-achieve by playing smart and beating players who are, on paper, better than me, but I've lost the knack for dumbing down my game to beat the guys who don't know what they're doing. Once I crack 3,000 again I'll re-retire from ranked, I can't handle the stress of it all.

Down to 2495 now, losing to all manner of mashing and then going on tilt and playing worse and losing more. Sad.

I lost to a terrible T. Hawk player, then in the run back I perfected him first round, at which point I got disconnected from Xbox Live and haven't been able to get on since. I hope that's a coincidence.