Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

I think I'm going to look into Hakan for HF2012. Seth is definitely my anti hegg character. I forgot to save that replay where it came down to the last hit on the 3rd round. Boom FADC dash toward, ready for the SPD. Hegg reacted with sonic hurricane. I mashed ultra like it's going out of fashion. I win! I spent a good minute chuckling to myself after that.

Seth is a horrible bastard.

Last nights little session was wonderful, thanks to all. Really brought the love back. Big hugs to Donut, I do very much enjoy the sets. I swear Seth spends more time with his feet off the ground than on. That should be in his stats page somewhere - "time spent flying around kicking Hegg in the face".

I've tried and tried to get my head around SFxT but for the life of me I don't get it. There's too much going on, things look like they should hit but don't, and don't look like they should hit but do, and I cry. Still really messed up to me. I'll keep on trying, but I think IV is too engrained on my psyche.

I shall be on more and more from now on. Excite.

Cheers to everyone for fights - was sad to wait patiently in the lobby with Hegg, Donut and Nate only to get kicked out half way through my first match. Joined another lobby later but had dodgy connections all night - at one point Donut's showed zero bars. Finished up with with a few games vs. Joeplus. What a lovely evening.

Yep, cheers Jiro! My first time back on this for ages - you came out well on top but I was pleased to keep it half competitive with a few different mans. Seems Strekken hasn't totally ruined me (although I did go for boost combos a lot and you probably saw me jiggling about as I failed to pull out random Ultras. I've not QCFx2'd in at least six weeks).

Enjoyed picking Guile. Never really tried him before so I just went with what I've learned from rllmuk and held down-back to the point of stupidity.

10,000 Oicho's destroyed my 6 month old Limited Edition 360 controller with the twisty dpad, It just completely sheared off from the base and has a square hole in it now ohmy.png

Oh my. How was it for Street Fightin' up until that point? It looks like it might give a nice satisfyin' down-back compared to the standard pad.

360 pads are a bit shit aren't they. On my old controller, the play and charge pack up and died after about two years, and at times the left stick sticks in certain directions (will continue in one direction when I've already let go). And on my twisty d-pad model I got about 8 months ago there are certain angles on the left stick that cause input to be dropped completely. And the B button has started to only work intermittently. Also the d-pad still isn't great. Also those kids won't get off my lawn.

On my catpad the left-stick click rarely works. I don't play many games that actually use it anyway, but it's kinda annoying. Those L3 R3 style stick-click buttons are an utterly horrible thing anyway.

I'll probably get the microsoft twist-o-pad as my main controller to replace it. They've still got a few of those Battlefield 3 game and pad packs in the tesco near me; how are those for Street Fightin' or Sonic Hedgehoggin?

If, instead of north east london, you said south west london, that would be much better for me in terms of transport. But yes.

And I think seth is meant to spent his entire life flying gaily through the air, really, given his profoundly intense jump arc and equally bodaceous jumping normals. The giant bald-headed shitting bastard that he is. I mean you'd think i'd have seen enough of donuts mixups to know how to react to them but NO.

Other highlights from last night included curtis making nate ragequit, and then my taking revenge on curtis for him with the dourest, most down-backingest Edmund Honda that the world has ever seen. The thought of even thinking about playing honda with a d-pad makes me feel unwell. I can't ever do charge characters on them. Surely a fightpad would be better?

Also I'm going to learn adon as anti-joffo tech, given that every single move of his breaks armour I guess it makes sense really.

Pad players represent! Probably of little comfort but the Fightpad I received through the post on the day SFIV was released is still going strong. :) I still kind of maybe want one of those funny PDP Marvel pads with the little stick though... :P

The pad bundled with my new 360 squeaks when I move the left stick to the right. :(

Rafrasilecs, I might be up for that depending on the Friday :)

Ooh yay. I've been proper jonesing for local MP for ages. I shall chat with the boss this weekend.

If, instead of north east london, you said south west london, that would be much better for me in terms of transport. But yes.

I'll make it worth everyone's while.

Hey! It wasn't entirely Curtis. Hate to be contrary but I wasn't feeling the return to AE at all.

I missed gems, I missed boost combos, I missed Law. I kept forgetting or incorrectly inputting the DC after the FA. Most of all I missed winning. Popped XT on for a bit after and won five consecutive ranked matches with the marvellous wine antidote that is autoblock.

There's no doubt in my mind that AE is the better, purer, fairer game, I just don't think I enjoy playing it that much anymore. It made me remember the last couple of months before XT dropped when I was turning the Xbox off in a big stomping eggy huff every night wondering what I was doing with my life.

Sad fighter.

I can still come to Heggfest though right? I'll just sit in the corner drinking asking if anyone wants to play SFXT or Battle Fantasia.

For example, AE makes me angry when donut wilds about on top of my head and I get all confused about how to block, or when I miss one of vega's incongrously wild 1-frame links and get uppercutted, or when I realise for about the 50th time just how exquisitely badly I play rose, or when someone picks rufus against me.

Sfxt, on the other hand, makes me angry when I get caught for the 10th time that night out by nate doing a regular gut punch followed up immediately by ex gut punch, which catches my mis-timed punish and then does a 30 minute long combo with lots of high-pitched shrieking from law, or when someone picks rufus against me.

Of course this is all my own fault for always picking vega, who probably has the worst defense in the game.

I like SFxT less since the patch because ranked is a bit of a mess with the rollbacks. I also like it more because sound.

Other fighting games at Heggfest are a must. But we'd probably need more setups, especially if it's going to blow up like EVO has this year.

I reckon we could also do a party game tournament for the SFxT folk too.

I love them both for different reasons: SFxT can be more entertaining with the ridiculous gems and the pair play lols, but it can also seem a bit awkward with regards to blocking - sometimes I think I'm guarding pretty well but then something will just crush my defence completely and I won't know what caused it. AE has a better balance of fair defence and decent offensive options, but it also feels a bit hollow now that I've experienced SFxT's madness. Hmm.