Ultra Street Fighter IV

Jump roundhouse into EX snake strikes is utterly obscene. Edition select vanilla Rufus mirrors are the best. 

Dee Jay can do 680ish damage in Ultra but it requires full super, full ultra, the opponent has to be cornered and they have to eat an extremely deep jump roundhouse that no one would ever get hit by. Some day I will hit it in a match. Some day.

40 minutes ago, cowfields said:

Hi all. I never really got into this fully because I never had a stick or pad that did it justice.

I don't even remember buying Ultra, but I have it in steam. Not sure how that happened, anyway. I'm considering investing in a stick and learning, but the prices and lack of availability is putting me off.  I'm not about to spend ££££££ on a stick I don't even know how much I'll use. That said I don't want something that falls apart really quickly either. I'm a complete beginner here, but I've always wanted to be better.

Hori's fighting stick mini looks kinda good though? I don't want something crazy big, and I don't want to really spend too much so £34 on Amazon Prime seems like it'd be worth a go:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hori-4961818025127-Fighting-Stick-Mini/dp/B019MMN94A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1487717131&sr=1-1&keywords=fighting+stick+mini

Any other suggestions, sadly whenever I've looked for what's good out there, anything recommended seems to be long long out of stock, or over £100. 

I've never tried the Fighting Stick Mini, from the sounds of things the build quality isn't very high. I'm sure it's decent enough, but a second-hand Xbox 360 MadCatz TE might be available for a more reasonable price and they're pretty sturdy. Large, though. I've seen people recommend the Qanba Carbon too: http://www.eightarc.com/carbon/

There's an arcade stick thread on rllmuk so you might get more informed response in there:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/202427-rllmuk-arcade-stick-thread/

Playing on pad is just as valid an option as using a stick, of course; it's mostly just down to preference, really.

The Mini's not terrible, but you absolutely need something other than your lap to put it on. My main complaint was that its stick has a regular amount of travel (compared to a JLF), and I found that too much in such a light and compact case. It's okay to have that sort of travel when the case weighs plenty and you get a bit carried away, but the Mini's buttons are oversized pad ones, so it felt ‘off’ to me.

Like those pad-stick customs with arcade buttons and a d-pad, but in reverse. Mad Catz' Alpha is also small (again — I'd definitely recommend a table), but I'd say that that's probably your best bet for £35. https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/PC-Video-Games/Mad-Catz-SFV89180BSA1-02-1-Arcade-FightStick/B019CQKCOQ/

Unless you can find a second-hand TE or HRAP for a good price. Or even one of MC's old Brawl/FightSticks. 'Course, you can always get a Venom for £60 — https://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-PlayStation-Licensed-8-Button-Arcade/dp/B00NHDSINS/

That's the safest one to recommend 'cause it has PS4 support, and it's easy to fit better parts if you ever want to. Not much of a looker, but a decent case.

Thanks guys. I splashed out and went for the Venom. After reading the Arcade Stick thread (thanks for flagging that) it seemed like a sound investment. The mini probably would have been okay but it sounds a bit like it might just rock around as you try to use it.

The problem I have with the Alpha is that it's 6 buttons not 8, and I feel like having 2 extra for P+P+P and K+K+K might be a convenience. For what it's worth I'm probably PC exclusively for the forseeable future. But I do like the idea of using the stick on my Retropie setup. I also justified the purchase as being good for Shmups which I've also been neglecting. I dunno, an arcade stick seems like a solid investment.

When it arrives* I'll be back to ask loads of questions like "Why do I keep losing?"  I watched one of those Beyond Technical vids that someone posted earlier in the thread, that seemed like a good starting point.

(I do so wish there was somewhere in London where I could buy it today - I'll get it tomorrow but don't think I can play it now until Sunday, bah...)

35 minutes ago, Faded said:

Figure this is as good a place as any to ask. I've had a hankering to play some vampire saviour of late. Is the 360 version decent?

Yeah it's good; it's the 2nd and 3rd games (right?) put together in a similar manner to 3rd Strike Online Edition.

Yeah it's 2 and 3(saviour). More curious about the quality of the port. Google suggests it's better than the Saturn version which I was debating digging out. 

I think I'd rather pay 12 quid than risk digging through the cupboard of doom. 

Venom stick arrived yesterday. I haven't had a lot of time with it, but enough to see that it has finally allowed me to enjoy sf4. I have so much to learn but at least any difficulty is due to that now, rather than fighting with the controller. Thanks for the help. It's great to have a proper arcade stick finally. 

I'm a bit overwhelmed by character choice at the moment. I kinda don't want to be learning with Ryu/ken because that feels too familiar, and thus a little obvious and samey. but then I'm so lost with the others. I'm finding the charge style moves tough to pull off (eg sonic boom etc). 

Baby steps though, I guess. 

Just do a few character trials until you find something that feels right. If you just want to avoid Ryu/Ken and need a shorter list to choose from, though, you might look at Chun, Juri, Oni, Sakura, Sagat, or maybe Fei. All of them offer a little bit of everything from the delicious plate that is sf4. Or if you like to be different Hugo, Balrog, Blanka, Yun, Adon, Cammy and Rose are probably all fairly good unconventional beginner characters who will still let you learn the important bits of the game before getting bogged down in the less important bits.

Enjoy your game. That's the key thing.

Already doing that definitely. I had a day off today to travel out of London to catch up with friends. Purposely delayed myself for about an hour so I could get some arcade mode in. 

Thanks though, seeing a short little list is all I needed to at least narrow things down. I am not sure what the full list is but I must be looking at a grid of 50 fighters or something? It's great, but crazy.  

I'm sat here playing as Colin from HR in SFV. Playing against dashing, jumping psychopaths who mash their faces against the buttons for the whole match. Also every couple of games is a complete write off due to roll back. I just want one clip of me landing my Kolin gimmick and then I can return to SFIV until the next character comes out. It's cold here and I don't like it.

42 minutes ago, Fitzcarraldo said:

Once I've got Zelda out of my system I think I'll buy this again on the PS4. V just hasn't clicked with me (the emergence of Overwatch didn't help) and IV really is the best game. I miss doing silly combos in training mode.

I'm tempted to do the same, especially as I've already got a PS4 stick. I enjoyed watching V at CapCup but it's just so unloveable when I play. Is this what being a Marvel fan felt like a few years ago?

Was planning to head down to the Heart of Gaming's grand reopening in Croydon on Saturday, play some Street Fighter and then do Rock Band karaoke. Of course the reopening's postponed. That place seems to be cursed with bad luck (and/or extremely optimistic planning)

I wouldn't say I'm in any danger of going back to USF4...but SFV has left me so bored I quit it entirely. 

Having said this I'll probably see if I can remember how to play when I'm up at Hypespotting, I'm sure I still have half decent EX Uppercut Rush loops.

Out of pure curiosity why is SF5 worse than SF4?

I'm not about to bother with SF5, I'm not that hardcore and offline arcade mode SF4 is about as much as I'll bother with as online scares me a little because i'm such a beginner. But I figured surely a character has the same moves in both games? Is it not just more characters? Does it not play the same?

I guess I'm just really surprised how you could make a street fighter game better or worse or even that different from the last, beyond technology (i.e. 2d to 3d)

I suspect individual responses will vary, but for me:

-Poor walkspeed across the cast in general

-Input delay

-Stubby normals with long recovery

-Low damage anti-Air options for a lot of the cast 

This results in the neutral game feeling pretty bad, and random jumps being overly rewarded. Whiff punishing is mostly luck, so you see even very good characters just slinging out buttons in situations that would have been suicidal in SF4. In short, footsies SUCK in V.

Now it does some things really well, the input buffer to remove 1-frame links brings more positives than Negatives, they stopped crouch teching being so powerful, and backdash invincibility was pretty bad* The characters are more balanced, especially compared to pre-Ultra versions of 4 as well.

*yes, I mean Rose

1. JLM, that video clip is actually godlike!

2. Spuck, it's heartwarming that I disagree with you quite strongly on most of your points above, and yet we can still agree that SFV is boring. Well, I say "heartwarming" but maybe I mean depressing.

3. We're cutting our internet connection this month, so if anyone fancies a few games on steam (or even potentially on xbl if I can find a free month ticket) one evening before I'm gone forever then let me know.

Mahvel was still great though. At least come to my place or something. Or maybe just come over some other time and press the buttons, perhaps in conjunction with Mr Joffo as he cant do hypespotting this year. 

I just did my second ever real-match dash ultra with Chun ...but I did it too slow and my opponent blocked it. But for that brief moment as the ultra flash happened after the dash, the fireball hanging useless in the air between Chun and my opponent, I felt truly godlike.

Earlier I played against a man with a Russian flag who changed characters every game, won 3 lost 3, and then switched to his main and began taunting while winning the second round, only to lose it and then go on to also lose the last round in hilarious fashion and kick me from his lobby like it was 2011 or something.

I also played a bunch of games against that man Gen Kan who used to post GIFs on the reddit before it became so SFV-focused. He is a good man and imparted many words of wisdom. USF4 Revival is doing right by me.