Ultra Street Fighter IV

JLM

I personally do not find SFV as fun to play as SFIV at intermediate level. Pretty ropey netcode and it doesn't feel as good as any of the previous games to me. However, many people disagree with me on that and are having a lot of fun with it, so my grumpy old man take on it is probably the minority view. The current version of SFV is by far the best version of it too, so if you do want to give it a bash it's a good time to get it.

It's far less demanding than SF4 in terms of execution. Much easier to pick up in that regard, doesn't have so much frame perfect timing required and some of the inputs have been simplified and standardised. The game itself is actually quite punishing though, and feels a bit more Streetfighter 2-like in terms of how much damage and stun things do. Big momentum swings can happen quite often and rounds can snowball on you pretty rapidly. Not nearly as extreme as SF2 mind, but certainly more so than SF4. It's a very explosive and high impact game and largely favours playing quite aggressively and making big commitments.

The Championship edition also comes with an enormous roster and loads of the previous DLC included. I think it's a really good value package, so if it's on sale I don't think it's a bad purchase at all. I bought it myself as I still like to have a little dabble even though it's not my favourite of the Streetfighters. Ultimately it is still Streetfighter, and if you like that then there will be fun to be had. Ideally if you have some friends or people you can play with regularly rather than internet randos, that will help a lot.

5 minutes ago, JLM said:

Championship edition

I have been calling the Mega Drive game this for years and it wasn't until SFV CE that I realised there never has been a "Championship Edition" of Street Fighter, just "Champion" Editions.

ALSO! I'll hopefully be entering Rival Scenes in December since it's online; for both SFV and USFIV. I don't expect to fare too well but at least it's a team effort so it won't be entirely my fault.

Ah nice. Yeah ParableGreg has been entering some of our weekly tournaments, great to see some of the old names from Hypespotting still at it. I really hope another Hypespotting happens one day. Don't really mind which games they run, just used to love those weekends.

43 minutes ago, JLM said:

I personally do not find SFV as fun to play as SFIV at intermediate level. Pretty ropey netcode and it doesn't feel as good as any of the previous games to me. However, many people disagree with me on that and are having a lot of fun with it, so my grumpy old man take on it is probably the minority view. It's still Streetfighter and the current version of it is by far the best one.

It's far less demanding than SF4 in terms of execution. Much easier to pick up in that regard, doesn't have so much frame perfect timing required and some of the inputs have been simplified and standardised. The game itself is actually quite punishing though, and feels a bit more Streetfighter 2-like in terms of how much damage and stun things do. Not nearly as extreme as SF2 mind, but certainly more so than SF4. It's a very explosive and high impact game and largely favours playing quite aggressively and making big commitments.

The Championship edition also comes with an enormous roster and loads of the previous DLC included. I think it's a really good value package, so if it's on sale I don't think it's a bad purchase at all. I bought it myself as I still like to have a little dabble even though it's not my favourite of the Streetfighters. Again, it is still Streetfighter, and if you like that then there will be fun to be had. Ideally if you have some friends or people you can play with regularly rather than internet randos, that will help a lot.

That has sold me SFV to at least dabble with. Now if only the forum had some sort of regular fighting game sessions going for the popular fighters...

I'm happy to play if any lobbies happen. I do play Laura though, so it might make people rage quit the game. I could learn some new characters for dabbling purposes though. No matter what the game, learning a new character is my favourite thing to do. :)

• 3 weeks later...

yaaaaaas I tried to play this game against strangers tonight, found one person, and convinced them (using the language of divekicks) to ragequit on me in game three. Still got the moves!

Now I'm alone.

• 3 months later...
On 09/10/2020 at 20:35, joffocakes said:

Finally ranked Dan to 10,000+BP so that's me completed USFIV. #1 in Europe (because Ixion doesn't play on PS4).

I haven't looked at this thread in a long time so sorry for the delayed reaction but this is seriously impressive.

58 minutes ago, Skull Commander said:

It plays on Xbox one x so I would assume that it also does on the new series consoles. 

I remember there being some weird situation where they didn't explicitly state USFIV was backward compatible on Xbox One, likely because of some Sony exclusivity deal at the time. I think it meant the retail USFIV wasn't compatible but SSFIV upgraded to USFIV was? I tried searching for more info and found people having issues with it as recently as 2019.

46 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

I remember there being some weird situation where they didn't explicitly state USFIV was backward compatible on Xbox One, likely because of some Sony exclusivity deal at the time. I think it meant the retail USFIV wasn't compatible but SSFIV upgraded to USFIV was? I tried searching for more info and found people having issues with it as recently as 2019.

Ah right I only have Xbox and fancy some brawls on it. If I buy super on the store will that work 

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Been finding myself recently going back and watching a lot of this game on YT (in all its incarnations).

A lot of matches I don’t remember and it’s great to rewatch stuff and see how things played out. Some amazingly talented players that just didn’t survive the SFV transition.

Players like PR Balrog who I generally think struck fear into a lot of people. What he managed to do with Balrog in this game was amazing, he literally has opponents running around the screen for their life.

Too many great matches to post but the last one I watched was this one between Justin Wong and Sanford Kelly, a classic West Coast vs East Coast match up. The fight literally evolves as things go on, it’s great to watch on so many levels.

• 7 months later...

Talking about people who are actually killers, someone on the PC version of USFIV last night changed their name to "joffocakes" and "Joe Dillon I will kill you in RL!".

I know I'm annoying but jeez.

• 2 months later...
On 17/08/2022 at 09:32, carlospie said:

Seth can get fucked. So unnecessary hard and cheap. And in a thong.

Yes, I fucking hated the guy. There just feels something "off" about him when controlled by CPU as if he can read your inputs, hit "through" your moves, or interrupt too easily.

As stated, you have to just get cheap on him and spam sweep kicks or certain moves. Sucks that you have to resort to such things after trying to play "properly" but...

I think Gill in SFIII is much cheaper. Seth just infuriates me more though because his design and fighting style is so shit and not fun to look at. I mean, most of his moves are just copied from normal characters.