Ultra Street Fighter IV

Yeah Roland is excellent, it's just that some of his most useful combos are sooooo difficult. Confirm into instant EX stinger into delta air raid juggle is the hardest combo in the world. Even Nemo drops it sometimes.

Love playing him though, for the buttons even more than the offense. I love good normals on a character above all else, and he has a whole bunch of great ones. I think I've said this before, but I would be pretty happy playing a character who just had Rolento's far fierce and nothing else. It's like a better version of Adon's standing roundhouse, as if such a thing is possible. Then you've got standing roundhouse, stand jab, crouch jab, jump fierce, jump jab, standing mp, close fierce, far standing mk, close MK... So many winners. His low forward is disappointing but honestly if it was any better it would be unfair.

Jump fierce in particular is so dirty. Fuzzy set ups, wins air to air most of the time and it is an absolute lottery as to which side he lands on if he jumps in with it. Unbelievably cheap button.

He got some excellent buffs in 1.04 too, particularly cr. jab xx EX patriot circle being a combo now. Give that to someone like Ricki Ortiz and it is ludicrously good.

Nemo is a different beast entirely though. That beating he gave Xian at the Kumite was arousing and upsetting in equal measure, like some kind of sexy racist. He could turn his hand to pretty much any character and do work, but his optimisation of Roland really is magical to watch. Ricky's Rolento is getting good and Shimauta and a few others have good ones too, but Nemo really is *the* Rolento.

Part of the reason we like this place is that the wider world of street fighter players mostly leaves us alone! This is like a safe haven for the 30-something ex-hipsters of the fighting games world, carefully concealed from the wider, younger, angrier (and better at games) community.

That said, if you want to make this a better forum for fighting game players then the stuff I suggested in the tagline thread would probably help (as I said there, if you wanted then I could spare some time in the next week or so to move existing stuff around as I'm mostly sitting around at home): http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/285670-rllmuks-tagline/page-13#entry10393412

I don't think people really care about events unless they're a part of them in this scene, because there is so much really high quality international stuff getting broadcast pretty much every week, but those suggestions would make it easier for us to arrange stuff for our community, maybe bring some new faces in if they found us by searching for advice.

That and not deleting the online subforum, of course ;-) maybe recreate that but for fighting games in general, same as the driving games one?

All that sounds great. Let me know if you need me to do anything, or if you need super-user rights for the folder, or anything. I've got a few other things to look at the moment, so just nag me for anything you guys can't do yourselves.

Made the mistake of playing this on PS4 again and then flipping the signal over and playing the 360 version. I say "mistake" because you can really see the difference; I was only dabbling in arcade mode, but on 360 it's just smoother and cleaner and nicer; the PS4 game feels like you're running it through an emulator or something. I'll still play it, of course, but it just seems like a bit of a missed opportunity...

Remember the prize codes that were in the 360/PS3 version that'd unlock new profile titles?

Ono has just tweeted If you enter 8GYRW4NKMJRL2OP then it'll randomly unlock one of six new titles in the PS4 version!

usf4ps4_zpstwnvhr2g.jpg

I've done a search but can't find anything definite on this - will PS3 fight pads work with this? Maybe they work already? - I don't have one but will get one if they do. I have a 360 USB one which I guess won't? So many questions.

Free afternoon so I thought I'd play a bit of Ryu, get back to basics because I'm so rusty. My gosh am I rusty. (Also have never really been any good at this except with Rose.) I did win a round without jumping though and that felt good.

Went round to my friend's house last night for some beers, pizza and PS4 Street Fighter. He plays a pretty mean Ryu and was winning every match he played online, about ten in total. According to him, yes the menus are laggy, but the gameplay's still tight, and he was able to hit all his usual combos and links with the same timing he used on his trusty PS3 version.

I'd be interested to hear what guys in this thread think of the port as hardcore players. The Neogaf thread seems to have imploded with bile and hatred towards everything, a lot of said bile coming from people who (of course) haven't played the port.

I think the frontend stuff is just hilariously bad but it seems playable otherwise, I'm hitting stuff about as regularly as I do on 360 (ie sometimes). Plenty of laggy wabs out there though and the standard of play so far has been like the early vanilla days. By which I mean I've lost to some right old bullshit.

On the 'press start' thing - I mentioned that to someone at Capcom and apparently it's a graphic rather than a text file, so the localisation lot missed it. Sounds mental if you ask me but there we are.

At the moment I think it's comfortably the worst version of one of the best games of all time, but everything that's wrong with it is fixable, and will be fixed before long I'm sure.

Apologies, some of that right old bullshit was probably me spamming Ibuki's neckbreaker. :hug: The first patch is apparently underway as of today (i.e. submitted), but people are wondering whether two days after release is long enough to fix all the apparent glitches. So long as the menu lag is fixed as soon as possible. Hope this is patched at some point to become the definitive version. Possible Drive Club situation?

Haha, I was playing some Ryu today too, Joe! I have no fireball game whatsoever.

Hope this is patched at some point to become the definitive version.

My bet: they fix most of the surface stuff but never quite manage to get the input lag down as far as the 360 or PC versions. As a result it'll be deemed "good enough" and installed as the lead platform for the pro tour until SFV replaces it, people will grumble, then after the pro tour switches to SFV it'll just become one of those things people can argue about endlessly like they do about which versions of ST are worth playing. Sadly it will also possibly help kill the community by splitting across even more platforms and versions (especially because once SFV comes out it'll be the PS4 version of SFIV being the one that runs at tournaments for the sake of convenience) and a bunch of people will just give up and only play SFV. Which is a bit of a missed opportunity because having a perfect port on PS4 would've been a great way to keep the game alive after the sequel comes out.

Every online match I've had so far has been an awful laggy mess, regardless of the number of bars my opponent has. As in, bad enough that I may as well not bother as it's not a useful experience.

How about the rest of you? Am I the odd one out here?

I think the frontend stuff is just hilariously bad but it seems playable otherwise, I'm hitting stuff about as regularly as I do on 360 (ie sometimes). Plenty of laggy wabs out there though and the standard of play so far has been like the early vanilla days. By which I mean I've lost to some right old bullshit.

On the 'press start' thing - I mentioned that to someone at Capcom and apparently it's a graphic rather than a text file, so the localisation lot missed it. Sounds mental if you ask me but there we are.

At the moment I think it's comfortably the worst version of one of the best games of all time, but everything that's wrong with it is fixable, and will be fixed before long I'm sure.

Very plausible. I remember a Localisation Testing (LT) situation for a game I worked on (some time in 2009 or 2010) where one non-localised on screen text was found after the project was signed-off. After some understandable stress from all parties involved (who is to blame for this fiasco) it became clear that the text was "hard coded" artwork instead of a text string. LT only had access to text-strings, not artwork.

Every online match I've had so far has been an awful laggy mess, regardless of the number of bars my opponent has. As in, bad enough that I may as well not bother as it's not a useful experience.

I've played over 160 matches now, getting Dan, Makoto, El Fuerte, Ibuki, C Viper and Rufus to C rank (with a ludicrous 83.75% win rate because there are so many very new people) and for the most part the online has been absolutely fine. There's been the occasional stutter and some matches which were laggy overall but nothing worse than the typical online experience on PC. Yesterday I had one period where I was only getting red bars though, resulting in the most horrible treaclefest versus Yasawas' Dhalsim but I think that was probably some iCloud syncing going on against my will.

I have had the game crash on me four times mid match, and once in Ken's trials (losing all progress). The sound levels are completely messed up for me, I've got everything down at one bar in the options and music down to zero and it's still loud at certain times. The menus are mega slow and player 2's name is never in the right place under their health bar. There aren't any names on the results screen.

I haven't had too many issues with the input lag either. I don't rely on one-frame links much with Dan but I did play Rufus for a load of matches and was landing his cl.lk > cl.hp BnB with some consistency. Maybe it's just muscle memory for the timing. My setup isn't the best anyway, lagwise. At Hypespotting, and other casuals in Glasgow, I found myself whiffing simple Dan links (like his 3-frame close mp > cr.mp link) on their relatively lagless setups because I wasn't used to it. After a while it clicks again, though. I don't play at a level where a few frames of extra lag are going to be noticeable, not in online matches at least.

Are you playing on a wired connection at your end?

Apart from the underwater menus it's business as usual as far as I can tell. Some lagfests but that was always the case on Live too. My win rate is far higher though as the skill level is nowhere near 360 standards but i I'm enjoying beating top ten dudes for free with my utilitarian Guile.

My connections have been OK usually as long as we've got green bars but there have been a few instances, once against Joffo yesterday and another couple tonight where I'm playing a green connection versus someone I've already played within the previous hour perfectly happily and it's been a slideshow. It's hard to say whether it's just coincidence or it's just something else that's broken in this game but I suspect the latter.

Does anyone know anything at all about playing Hakan? I want to learn a grappler and I find him appealing but also intensely confusing.

Yes, watch all the Ebi you can, he is the best Hakan player there has been since the character was introduced in my opinion. For American Hakans it's worth watching MLSwear and Deadmaker. Oh, and if you get a chance, play Stercan online as I'd say he's the best one in Europe and always has lots of fancy stuff you can steal.

Here is Deadmaker beating up a selection of notable mans in ranked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORRRhOJaL-Q

Hakan is quite a big undertaking as he is easily one of the most tech. and set up heavy characters if you want to get the best out of him. Also it's a steep learning curve as he is still very vulnerable to rushdown or being beaten by absolute nonsense if he gets caught without oil. As much as Ultradavid and co. claim he's top 5 in the game with oil (even this arguable for me), he is bottom 1 without it, and the actual top 5 characters don't have a timer attached to them that makes them turn into shit characters when it runs out. As such, I think he's always going to be a bit of a liability and is ultimately not a great choice.

All of that said, he has to be up there as one of the most fun characters both to use and to watch, so I'd thoroughly recommend him on that basis alone.

I wouldn't normally suggest practising the more difficult/specalist stuff when first learning any character, but with Hakan you really need to learn Dash normal cancelling/Crisco Cancels to get the best out of him. With a lot of characters you can use them effectively at intermediate level and never have to touch their more advanced tools, but in this case it's the one magical thing he can do that no other characters in the game can. It is his unique selling point and it is an exceptionally powerful tool when used well. Without this he's just an OK grappler with absolutely abysmal defensive options, a decent ground game and then some rather excellent gimmicks and shenanigans that can help but don't make up for his other shortcomings on their own.

Prioritise oil over almost everything else. Forego damage and sacrifice some of your own health if necessary. Hakan players call the latter "Blood for oil" and as long as you don't get tagged with anything huge it can be worth taking stray hits to stay oiled. He's not *quite* as useless without it as he used to be, but he is still very weak and it being caught without it is to be avoided if at all possible. As an example, I've seen Ebi and other Hakans "punish" a whiffed DP by oiling up and then taking a small punish/no punish at all, as oil is the priority.

Try to stay mobile and unpredictable in your movements with Hakan. His dashes are good (great if you use DNCs), his slidey focus attack is great as well, again massively boosted if you get to grips with DNCing. His command normals give him good extra mobility as well. He is quite a smoke and mirrors-y character, so try and stay active and do a lot of things, or a lot of nothing that looks like a lot of things. His movement options when oiled are something he has over the other grapplers and they should be exploited.

His anti-air options are not amazing. Standing fierce can be good if you learn to use it quite early. It's also a good grounded normal as it breaks focus and can catch people's jump's pre-emptively. If they're already jumping and you try to react, though, it can often trade and sometimes lose outright. That said, he fares much better if you try and control the space above you with air to airs. In the air he has jump strong (which leads to juggles), air grab and neutral jump fierce, which is not quite as amazing as Honda's stop sign but does a similar job.

On the ground he has some decent pokes now. Towards roundhouse has exceptional range and knocks down. If you do a late dash normal cancel off a forward dash this normal can cover over half of the screen. Crouching medium punch is cancellable now, so this and cr. MK buffered into slide are decent options. Standing fierce as mentioned earlier is good as a focus breaker and to catch jumps pre-emptively. Towards fierce is pretty good too, a grounded stop sign of sorts. It's also really good as a meaty as you can use it a bit like Hugo's claps to lock down their wake up and then run mix ups. I'd say his best grounded button is towards + MP though. Great range, cancellable and combos off a non-crumple focus attack if you DNC. You can also use this button for uncrouchable oil dive set ups. Aside from that, use his focus and slide about with it. It's really good, and again, the fact that he can get combos off the focus attack hitting and not crumpling is huge bonus for him. His focus attack is essentially a poke in itself.

Meter build with kick grab cancelled into crouch, so if you get breathing space you should do this or stack up some oil.

On wake up he is limited, but ultra 2 is decent and EX SPD has good range and some invincibility. The best defensive option against people going nuts and crossing you up on wake up is to do a focus and then immediately DNC it into a fast normal, ideally some chained crouching light kicks as they are pretty broken. This is essentially a parry, and again is something he can do that nobody else can and will completely baffle most opponents.

On the opponent's wake up you have loads of options. SPD, crouching short pressure, kick grab, regular grab, slide to chase back dash, ambiguous jump roundhouse and his newly buffed jumping MK for dirty cross ups. It always seemed ridiculous to me that they made a grappler without the standard grappler splash attack that Gief, Hugo, T. Hawk (even Birdie in SF alphan has one!) so the MK buff is a big one for him. As with any grappler, try to find out what the opponent is most worried about and condition them/adapt accordingly. Again, like other grapplers, the threat of command grab is much more important than landing the grab itself.

Get used to using his slide and the different variations he has. Note that the slide is much less safe and cannot be FADC'd if you've already pressed the second punch/kick input for the follow up. If you don't input the follow up you can do stuff like EX SPD - > Jab slide - > SPD again when they wake up and other fun gimmicky things.

Slide FADC is a pretty legit use of two bars as he doesn't need to spend meter on much else. You need a bar for EX slide if they're zoning with projectiles and EX SPD is one of his most powerful tools, but generally you should have some meter to spare if you don't have to spend it on those. As long as he doesn't get totally mauled he's a character who usually has meter, as his pressure with normals and landing command grabs builds quite a lot. On hit they're knocked down right in front of you, on block you can immediately DNC the forward dash and put them under pressure by making slide into normal a block string.

I'll add more to this soon, but there's some stuff that springs to mind immediately.

Dash normal cancels I guess. :)

I'm currently frequenting the Bloodborne thread at the moment and they love their acronyms too. Sadly it's used to avoid lore spoilers rather than detail sweet combat mechanics, but still...

Finally managed to catch up with Stunfest, what a tournament!

Seeing Daigo go back to Ryu and seemingly re-relearning the Ken matchup on the fly was a joy only bettered by Momochi picking Cody out of nowhere. Oh how I miss his Cody so very much.

The whole thing was done justice by the excellent commentary. Their names escape me but they always strike a great balance between play-by-play commentary, science and enthusiasm. Send them to Evo please.