IGNORED

Packed lunches

fragglerock

Could I get some quick recipes for packed lunches that are not just "cheese sandwich" but equally don't take too long to throw together, or can be made a few days in advance and taken out of the fridge or freezer straight to work?

I am currently getting through £4 or 5 a day on lunches so I don't have to skimp at all on home produce to still make a saving I reckon!

Dinners that can be transformed into lunch the next day are also welcome.

Thanks!

Do you like Couscous? It's about the easiest packed lunch going.

All I do is put it, dry, into a big bowl. Then I add dry spices, like cumin, chilli powder etc, plus salt and pepper. Then I chop up some spring onions, red peppers, and cucumber, and put that in. That's the bare minimum I do, but you can add anything you like. Herbs like mint and coriander are good, leftover roast chicken will make it more substantial, etc. Roasted red onions I like too.

Once you've decided what's going in, all you do is pour stock over it (per packet instructions), cover the bowl, and leave. Cooks itself in 5 to 10 minutes, and is lovely cold or reheated at work.

I like to make up a tupperware of tuna/sweetcorn/mayo and egg mayo on a Sunday evening and use them to make sandwiches to take in. Asda do 5 of the mini cans of coke for £1 so that's Monday - Fridays lunchtime beverage for 20p and either a couple of kit kats from a large multipack from the supermarket or a bag of crisps from the same. I reckon my lunch costs me about £1.00-£1.50 a day.

I used to waste so much on lunch when I worked in the City Centre. Sometimes £6 in a day. Was stupid.

I got given a bento box for Christmas so I've been making stuff for that most days. I make up portions of meat-type stuff, either teriyaki chicken, or flavoured mince, or something similar, along with portions of something veggie (current favouries are stir-fried onions and peppers, or curried kidney beans), then also make either stuff like little lentil cakes, or marinated tofu, or soy-marinated eggs - all of that I can do at the weekend and then put in the fridge or freezer and then just make up a bit of rice the night before.

It all takes a bit of organisation as you have to make a decent amount of stuff beforehand, but it's really nice to just pick a few things out of the freezer the night before and be ready to go and it'll actually be healthy. I'm getting most of my recipes from here: http://www.justbento.com/

Do you like Couscous? It's about the easiest packed lunch going.

All I do is put it, dry, into a big bowl. Then I add dry spices, like cumin, chilli powder etc, plus salt and pepper. Then I chop up some spring onions, red peppers, and cucumber, and put that in. That's the bare minimum I do, but you can add anything you like. Herbs like mint and coriander are good, leftover roast chicken will make it more substantial, etc. Roasted red onions I like too.

Once you've decided what's going in, all you do is pour stock over it (per packet instructions), cover the bowl, and leave. Cooks itself in 5 to 10 minutes, and is lovely cold or reheated at work.

Yeah, I often have couscous with some/all of the following:

- feta cheese cut into cubes

- roasted tomatoes/peppers (cut into bit-sized pieces, mix with olive oil, salt , black pepper, thyme/herbes de Provence, a couple of smashed cloves of garlic and roast in a baking tray until nicely done - make sure you pour in all the delicious juices!)

- cucumber

- olives

- chorizo or other cooked sausage (smoked is good)

- chopped coriander or parsley

- chickpeas

Make a big bowl, keep it in the fridge and it'll keep you going for a few days.