GTA:V Single-Player Thread - next-gen versions out now!

murray

• 2 weeks later...

Since when have you not been able to reset your wanted level in your so-called "safe" houses? I had a 3* chase and made it back to Trevor's "safe" house and dashed inside, the option to save didn't come up at the bed and a load of cops came in and killed me. Is getting a respray really the only way to get rid of the cops in an instant?

• 2 months later...

Just started playing the PS4 version for the first time, after playing the 360 version when it was released...

It is lovely, and the first person mode is great, just wondering if there has been any in-depth evaluation of how much it is actually improved from the last gen versions. I remember reading that this version was supposed to put more pedestrians in the street, more traffic, improved draw distance, but it doesn't look HUGELY different to me - I mean, it does all look a bit nicer and crisper and sharper, but I'm not sure the number of people/cars in the game world has changed, or the draw distance - at least when I'm up in the sky, it doesn't look like I can see hugely further than I could before.

Anyone feel differently?

Just started playing the PS4 version for the first time, after playing the 360 version when it was released...

It is lovely, and the first person mode is great, just wondering if there has been any in-depth evaluation of how much it is actually improved from the last gen versions. I remember reading that this version was supposed to put more pedestrians in the street, more traffic, improved draw distance, but it doesn't look HUGELY different to me - I mean, it does all look a bit nicer and crisper and sharper, but I'm not sure the number of people/cars in the game world has changed, or the draw distance - at least when I'm up in the sky, it doesn't look like I can see hugely further than I could before.

Anyone feel differently?

It does look significantly better, but it is disappointing that, given all the extra RAM and stuff, you still have the same issues of car parks being full of the same vehicle and everything disappearing once you turn your back. I tried setting up a road block of more than one vehicle to stop a military convoy - it's like having some little scamp drive my lorries away as soon as my back is turned.

Thanks to GTAOnline and the various new versions since the last-gen release, it is a significantly better game than it was at launch, I'd say. New cars, new weapons, improved controls, first person, a new radio station, some cool new activities and various other little tweaks and additions all over.

I've been playing SP again for the last couple of weeks in an attempt to finally finish the story before MGSV and, despite how linear pretty much every story mission is, there is still enough open-world goodness to make it endlessly compelling.

My latest fun activity is getting a mountain bike and taking Franklin out for a peaceful cycle round the entire map photographing fauna for the LS Tourist Board. Try it. You'll find all sorts of things you missed speeding around the main roads with the radio blasting, plus you can can usually use logic to find where the animals hang out. Need a hen? Find a farm. Need a poodle? Head for Vinewood Hills. HUD totally off, of course. You need to find your own way by looking at the roads, not the minimap.

Do we know if they will be doing any single-player expansions?

GTAV was the first grown-up GTA I finished. It raised the bar so high I've struggled to play anything else, so would love to know that there's more SP content coming.

Seems to be for single player so surely its for gameplay? - is there already a director mode in GTA V? Not seen it on the PS4 version!?

No, only on the PC version.

I just thought that playing back gameplay like that (in engine, rather than just recording as a video file) in a way that lets the player freeze time, pan about etc, was really difficult. Or maybe you can just set the camera views for live gameplay?

Just being able to pause the game and move the camera around to take photos would be an incredible addition to the console versions. Imagine the action shots you could take in the middle of a gunfight, or a five-star car chase.

Just being able to pause the game and move the camera around to take photos would be an incredible addition to the console versions. Imagine the action shots you could take in the middle of a gunfight, or a five-star car chase.

Well, exactly. Pretty much every game would benefit from such a mode. The thing with chases is you're usually concentrating so hard on escaping you only catch glimpses of the carnage going on behind you. It would be amazing to see police cruisers barrel rolling, choppers flying into wind turbines and innocents NaturalMotioning through the air in slow motion and 3D Matrix-style freeze-frame.

Finally got this thing working and am now at the "get a mini-sub" mission

This game is such a step up from GTAIV, I'm really enjoying my time with this! It's kind of overwhelming at times as I feel like 'just heading for the objectives' has you miss out a lot of side stuff. There's so much detail put into this world that simply driving around, seeing the sights while listening to the amazing soundtrack is pretty damn good in its own right.

Now to read this thread to see what I've been missing for all this time lol.

• 5 weeks later...

Installed a few hours ago. Shitballs this is good; I mean I played it on other people's shit, but IT'S SO GOOD.

It's got that world feel only GTA has. Amazing. Need a controller, mind, it's hard to utilitse little car movements like neatly getting into the parking spaces like you're a real person in San Andreas with a keyboard.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

ARISE!

Question - I've been trying to mop up the achievements on the PC version. I'm trying to sacrifice someone to the cult just now, I'm supposed to pick up a hitcher and deliver them to the cult. However, whenever I go to a location where a hitcher/random event is supposed to be there's nothing there. Playing as Trevor, and looking in the locations during the day and night and nothing appears. Do they not spawn once the game is complete or something? Looked in 5 different locations now and nothing.

EDIT - I think my game is borked. I gave up on the above and switched to doing one of the private fares for downtown cabs, owned by Franklin. Raoll is supposed to phone you after you buy the business to offer you private fares. He's never phoned me once, or if I did I missed it as I have nothing. Reading up on the web others have experienced this issue and the only solution is to load a save before you bought the cab company, unfortunately my earliest save is 30% and I own downtown cabs.

Guess I just have to forget those two achievements, unless I want to start a game from scratch.

• 2 months later...

So just start this (for first time) on PS4. Definitely not what I was expecting - interesting mix. I find some of the choices really odd (e.g. the completely imoveable nature of some of the signs/posts if you clip them with your car :P)

Franklin and Mike are now getting along and doing stuff - the Stranger/freaks side missions are pretty well acted as well so far.

I'm finding the UI/Control scheme a bit fo a chore/counter intuitive. e.g. doing drive bys as doing my nut in until I was recommended I change the scheme, and then realised holding LB to shoot and aim (with generous auto aim it seems) was much more effective than triggering each shot (like you do with normal guns) - Also having to open the map, than select the map seems like one "extra" click. I'm not sure I'm selling it well, but everything seems just little bit more fiddly than it should be.

Are there any setting hidden anywhere to change/increase HUD size? It's all so tiny (even on 42 inch TV) and due to keratoconus I'm basically missing most of it (messages, menus, no idea what the radio stations are called etc), 

GTA games are really overwhelming to begin with i feel. There is so much to take in, and learn and familarise yourself with, that it can be a bit daunting when you first begin.

Once it all clicks though, its genuinely one of the best games ever made. (other opinions are available)

• 5 weeks later...

After finishing this a few years back on PS3 I picked up a cheap PS4 copy and am away to start again. I fancy doing all the collectable type things that are available in this one as i plan to play for a while and see it as a good way to just cruise about and explore.

Is there any sort of Android app or anything that i can use to tick things off as I find them? some kind of checklist for example, Im not bothered if it also shows where things are on the map but would like something to track it all.

I restarted the game last night and just spent about 2 hours as Franklin just driving about, running etc. What a world.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...