GTA:V Single-Player Thread - next-gen versions out now!

murray

The part I hated most about that mission is when it prompts you to try the cinematic view so you can watch Franklin. I assumed if I do that then it's going to auto-pilot Michael at the same time, but no. Straight into a post.

The part I hated most about that mission is when it prompts you to try the cinematic view so you can watch Franklin. I assumed if I do that then it's going to auto-pilot Michael at the same time, but no. Straight into a post.

Strange that because in my experience, it definitely autopilots the car; I did exactly that when I played through the game again on PS4.

I don't think that boat mission auto-piloted the car for me. I ended up losing Franklin off the windscreen first time round. I do think that mission is a real highlight for the first person mode. Not being able to see a damn thing because Franklin was scrabbling around, blocking my view, upped the tension levels. Everything felt more "in the moment".

I finally got to play this last night, did the first few missions and went for a drive around the big motorway loop, as well as a detour up Mount Chilliad. The world they've created is fantastic, so much composition and attention to detail that they manage to make even generic-for-videogame locations like empty lots or industrial yards look spectacular and unique. I spent a lot of time wandering around and clambering over the roofs of buildings in Franklins neighborhood - sort of wish these games still had secret packages to reward me for my exploration.

Are there no collectibles ? :huh: I've only just started out so have not even scratched the surface yet.

I know some people are not fan of collectible aspect of some games but you can take it or leave it. Its a shame that there are none as it gives reason to explore the nooks and crannies this fantastic world they've created that you may not otherwise seen.

I've been taking Chop for walks around the neighbourhood going different ways each time; just soaking up the atmosphere and listening to people chatting shit. With the first person mode, headphones, and added shinies of the PC version it's so atmospheric.

Are there no collectibles ? :huh: I've only just started out so have not even scratched the surface yet.

I know some people are not fan of collectible aspect of some games but you can take it or leave it. Its a shame that there are none as it gives reason to explore the nooks and crannies this fantastic world they've created that you may not otherwise seen.

There are bits for Franklin further on in the story, plus there are 50 of the monkey head graffiti things to photograph, plus there are 50 (I think?) pages to collect to start the murder mystery missions, so don't worry, plenty to collect :)

The collectibles in this are pretty well done. It’s not revolutionary or anything, but it’s not mindless map icon bubblewrap like in your average Ubisoft game – the checklist on the Rockstar Social Club tells you where they all are, and collecting them is like going on a nice holiday round LS County. You get to see all sorts of areas that the story mode doesn’t touch on, like the shanty town hidden behind a railway embankment in the north-east of the map.

Some of the best fun I had in GTAV was just mincing about in a helicopter listening to the souls station picking up the collectibles. I'm almost tempted to do it again on PS4 but the trophies are still a bit fucked on that and I'd be annoyed if it didn't count them.

Hmmm... I've hit a snag with mine :mellow: I bought the game and received a code. It said to go to the rockstar social club and register using the code which I did. The game successfully activated and now shows up in my game list. It provided me a link to download the game which I did and it installed both GTA V (launcher - not the full game) and the social club thing. When I load it up it then prompts me to login, which I do, and then asks me to activate my copy with the CD key again. This time however when I enter the code it's already in use... which is right because I've already activated it! It can't seen to figure out or communicate in any way with my social club account on the website and therefore keeps asking for a new code all the time.

I've posted about this on the community support pages and raised a ticket but based on everyone else's experiences, no-one else has been replied to regarding this matter and some have had their tickets open for 3-4 days now. I'm just waiting in the hope that someone will finally come up with a solution. I can't believe they'd write a launcher which can't communicate with my online profile and realise I've already registered it :( Here I am having paid and I can't even play or download the bloody thing...

[EDIT] Heres what I'm getting (though usually it says that the CD key is already in use, not error activating):

post-90-0-22517600-1429269698_thumb.jpg

I went on a rollercoaster and then managed to steal a plane from the airport with aid of a jetski, but it was a slow propeller one and the police helicopter could keep up with me and knocked me out of the sky. The I killed an elk, a rabbit, a coyote, a cougar, a bird and lots of dogs, I keep wanting to kick any dogs I see to death and getting into big police chases. I've lost so much money to deaths.

I wrote a big glowing post up in "What are you playing" after the first heist and now the games brought the government into the plot and it's stinking up the joint - the government stuff in IV was shite too, does this bit end or am I stuck with this until the end of the game?

I wrote a big glowing post up in "What are you playing" after the first heist and now the games brought the government into the plot and it's stinking up the joint - the government stuff in IV was shite too, does this bit end or am I stuck with this until the end of the game?

There is a really weird kind of compulsive tic to the story in this game where every few minutes one of the characters says something like "We're three incompetents with too much money, too much equipment, and no checks and balances. We shoulda been government contractors," or "These guys sit on their asses 24/7 and get paid for it. Must be a government thing," or "If I wanted to fuck up and still get a cheque at the end of the day, I'd work for the government". It's like a kind of right-wing Tourettes Syndrome.

The story in this is OK in places, excruciatingly bad in others. It works best when it's operating as a profane heist movie, and at its absolute worst when it's trying to satirise all of modern American life at once. The government stuff is a recurring theme unfortunately.

The writing isn't exactly original. It's exactly what you'd expect from those characters in a GTA universe. Out of all the GTA stories I think Lost and the Damned was the most original and actually interesting.

For me my favourite character is Trevor. He is a fucking dick, but fits perfectly into the world. Michael feels like them attempting to force a bit of pathos into the game and not doing a good job. Franklin does too much bad stuff to really want out of the thug life like he keeps proclaiming.

Saying all that I've fairly blasted through the story, 18 main story missions left. There's still WAY too much driving though.

I don't mind the characters in retrospect; Michael is the character Rockstar want people to be narratively; Trevor is a character who results from the freedom Rockstar give you in gameplay; Franklin is the player, caught between the two, interested in wondering where the game will take him, but caught between the mania of the gameplay and the reality of doing things according to the desires of Michael (the game writer's avatar).

Maybe I'm giving them more credit than they deserve, but it feels fitting.

I'm playing through GTAV again (not on PC, on PS4, but coincidentally timed for when the game just became relevant again).

The story is at its best when it's about the characters, about Michael's fucked up family, and the ticking timebomb of Trevor finding out what really happened in North Yankton.

The story is at its worst when you're being forced to do shit for Steve Haines, and the utterly boring nonsense of the FIB versus the IAA. Funnily enough the actualy gameplay of these missions can be great fun, but the plot is so tiresome. It's GTA at its "satirical" worst, with the torture mission as the bizarre, amoral low point.

I also found the heists to be strange in terms of reward feedback. In story terms, most of the heists turn out to be futile or non-rewarding. Trevor's heist ends with Lester chiding you, "Put that back where you found it, you idiots!" The next few heists are under duress from Steve Haines, or to raise money to do his heists. The game promised "Heist" gameplay, but then always takes away the feeling of being a master criminal.

The story is at its worst when you're being forced to do shit for Steve Haines, and the utterly boring nonsense of the FIB versus the IAA. Funnily enough the actualy gameplay of these missions can be great fun, but the plot is so tiresome. It's GTA at its "satirical" worst, with the torture mission as the bizarre, amoral low point.

Yeah this, I was expecting it to be a series of heists that just cause them more problems and require them to do more - like being "in over their head" and getting back out but also causing everything to go sideways was the structure of something like Breaking Bad and works perfectly for this because it provides constant drama, purpose and stakes and the actual implementation of the heists is cool and fun.

And now I'm with shouty dudes renditioning and torturing people and assassinating Yemenis like we're copying a series of 24 ten years after it was relevant and constantly cringing whenever someone says "FIB" in a really po-faced way and it sucks.

For me my favourite character is Trevor. He is a fucking dick, but fits perfectly into the world. Michael feels like them attempting to force a bit of pathos into the game and not doing a good job. Franklin does too much bad stuff to really want out of the thug life like he keeps proclaiming.

I can't help but think that with Franklin that's kind of intentional, because I found the futility of him and Lamar always getting into trouble whilst F's talking about wanting to get out of the game kind of funny. :)

I think the FIB stuff was an interesting thing to do but it turned them from criminals into antiheroes - especially when you had things like the conclusion of the torture scene or Michael's dialogue at the end of the Deathwish path. Claude might have been a mute psychopath but in some ways that kind of worked better than people who try to justify the carnage. :P