IGNORED

GTA:V Single-Player Thread - next-gen versions out now!

murray

Nah, that's the Sherrif/Ranger type chap and the Russian isn't it? I had them rope me in to catching so called immigrants as Trevor.

Yeah. I'm sure the immigrant hunters who killed me as Franklin weren't the same ones I helped out as Trevor. The former seemed to be random hillbillies on dirt bikes out to kill anyone, whereas the latter was a Park Ranger in a marked-up SUV (do they have police powers? It had blue lights and sirens), plus foreign sidekick, who'd gone mad with power and seemed to have properly organised something (albeit presumably not sanctioned by anyone in power) and was just arresting people.

I have completed the main story, and I have about 6 of the freaks ones to go. However problem is nothing showing on the map for anyone.

2 of them have a 1 next to them on the character selection dial, but maybe shows nothing but parachute jumps etc.

Also pop up and slow down is getting real bad, I miss the game this was at the begining in terms of performance :(

Ended up doing the sub side quest looking for the radioactive stuff as nothing much else doing. That's nice and atmospheric, but the journey along the coast to some of the pieces is a right old slog in that slow thing.

I have completed the main story, and I have about 6 of the freaks ones to go. However problem is nothing showing on the map for anyone.

2 of them have a 1 next to them on the character selection dial, but maybe shows nothing but parachute jumps etc.

That can mean its a collection thing. I wont spoil collecting what, but some of franklins collection tasks show up as a "1" in the character selection wheel but wont have an indication on the map. You can check active tasks on the phone.

Not really feeling immersed. It's really boring completing the missions in the exact way you're supposed to. I was in a jogging race with some lady and it won't even let you attack her? What the point? If it's an optional mission they should let me do what I want. Now I beat her and she is a contact in my phone, great, maybe she'll ring me up and we'll go bowling. It reminds me too much of GTA4 at the minute, but with better graphics and shooting mechanics. Hope to feel the love soon.

I failed the getaway driver random event as Trevor, but, a few hours later, driving past the same spot in the road as Franklin, I got the event and completed it.

However, I did fail a Downtown Cab Company mission, and the radio operator said "well, I don't think we'll hear from him again", and, sure enough, that sub-quest line has moved onto another mission (actually 2 or 3 by now)......So, is that it, is there actually a completely failable, non-repeatable mission in GTA? Surely not, that's unheard of isn't it?

It was the cab company mission where you take a guy to get his niece back from some bikers.....

Cheers for this, worked for me just now :)

It was such good fun, trying to stick as close to the coast and beaches as possible I lost many vehicles along the way, swam a lot, and ran a lot I think it was at least two full day/night cycles by the time I got round the whole map. I was heart broken when I lost my dirtbike to the sea.

My disappointment in not being able to phone my blimp in whilst online (understandable really) was offset when I visited the hospital and found out that, yes, the helis are still available :D

vKgVmYO.jpg

Okay, I'm a bit late to the party, but it was a nice discovery, especially when I started tormenting players driving below. :P

I also checked the internet on my phone to look at the vehicles on sale, but I'll have to do a lot of online missions to get the requisite funds...

So I've completed Story Mode twice now (I can't explain why I felt like playing the whole game twice).

In its favour:

The missions are far more varied, entertaining and set-piecey than GTA IV. I found that GTA IV relied on the same few stale old mission types: "Chase someone", or "Go to a location and kill everyone", or both combined. In comparison, GTA V makes sure that every mission offers a new spectacle, or a new kind of fun, or sometimes just a new hilarious piece of character-work.

Against it:

The overwhelming feeling I got from playing GTA V twice is that the whole game is just a Follow The Instructions Simulator.

"Get in the car"

"Park the vehicle here"

"Leave the area"

So many missions have text instructions and secondary characters ordering you to do things precisely. Take the mission where Trevor captures the airfield from the Lost. You've got Ron barking orders at you every step of the way. "Get me in your sights... now shoot the guy who came out of the door... now shoot the lights... don't shoot the guy in the van yet... now shoot the guy in the van..."

Mission failures often have hilarious text to describe why you failed, and it's hardly ever due to lack of skill. It's always "Your vehicle got stuck", or "You didn't stand on the right spot in time", or something else ridiculous about how you didn't perform the mission the precise way it was scripted.

I'm sure we've all landed a helicopter a few feet away from the tiny yellow circle, then huffed at the realisation that we must take off again, scoot over a few feet, and land again. And I'm sure we've all been punished for not strictly obeying the scripting of a mission. Example: "Follow the janitor to his house"... I walked up to the janitor as he was putting the key in his front door... "Warning: you're getting too close to the janitor."

It's basically not much of a game. It's a fantastic entertainment experience, with well-developed interesting characters and a wicked sense of humour; but there is hardly ever sense of problem-solving, lateral thinking, decision-making, or basic honest challenge.