rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
murray

GTAV single-player and general gameplay thread

Got to my first million (in hand, I mean). Yay!

Next up is sorting through all the cars I've randomly amassed. Wonder if I should get rid of some. 

You do realize you're posting about your GTA Online performances in the GTA V singleplayer thread? :) (Slight assumption here.)

So just start this (for first time) on PS4. Definitely not what I was expecting - interesting mix. I find some of the choices really odd (e.g. the completely imoveable nature of some of the signs/posts if you clip them with your car :P)

Franklin and Mike are now getting along and doing stuff - the Stranger/freaks side missions are pretty well acted as well so far.

I'm finding the UI/Control scheme a bit fo a chore/counter intuitive. e.g. doing drive bys as doing my nut in until I was recommended I change the scheme, and then realised holding LB to shoot and aim (with generous auto aim it seems) was much more effective than triggering each shot (like you do with normal guns) - Also having to open the map, than select the map seems like one "extra" click. I'm not sure I'm selling it well, but everything seems just little bit more fiddly than it should be.

Are there any setting hidden anywhere to change/increase HUD size? It's all so tiny (even on 42 inch TV) and due to keratoconus I'm basically missing most of it (messages, menus, no idea what the radio stations are called etc), 

GTA games are really overwhelming to begin with i feel. There is so much to take in, and learn and familarise yourself with, that it can be a bit daunting when you first begin.

Once it all clicks though, its genuinely one of the best games ever made. (other opinions are available)

After finishing this a few years back on PS3 I picked up a cheap PS4 copy and am away to start again. I fancy doing all the collectable type things that are available in this one as i plan to play for a while and see it as a good way to just cruise about and explore.

Is there any sort of Android app or anything that i can use to tick things off as I find them? some kind of checklist for example, Im not bothered if it also shows where things are on the map but would like something to track it all.

I restarted the game last night and just spent about 2 hours as Franklin just driving about, running etc. What a world.

Bought my first copy on launch for the Xbox 360, then upgraded to the PlayStation 4 version and tonight I finally completed the story after dozens or maybe hundreds of  hours playing, exploring and generally fucking around loads.

Fucking marvelous.

• Upvote 1

I'd expect the ending to be harder though, the previous games had massive difficulty spikes but this was pretty easy. While I never liked those frustrating do-or-die sections, it felt more like an achievement when finally clearing it. Here it was more like - oh that was it...

Today I'm going to mop up a few of the side missions and try to steal a fighter jet and then it's really over I think.

It's disappointing they never created any extra content that  for the single player mode really. 

• Upvote 1

On 11/3/2011 at 19:43, Pob said:

Bizarrely just watched John Snow deliver a segment on this on C4 News, complete with low-res footage. And he didn't say 'violent' or 'contraversial' once.

He knows nothing.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Syntax said:

He knows nothing.

You reading the thread from the beginning?

On 11/4/2011 at 14:23, clippa said:

GTA V looks dated, this is fact, not opinion. Anyone with eyes can fucking see this. The proper response to my observation is "aye, it does look fairly ropey like, aye, the character models do look like they stepped out of the sims, though to be fair, it's running on 6 year old hardware and they need to have a lot of blokes on screen at once"

Imagine GTA if there were no consoles. Imagine if GTA over the years had been made exclusively for constantly evolving hardware, always pushing the envelope, forever reaching. Imagine what GTA would be like now. Imagine how big and in depth and interactive and pretty the world would be.

Because microsoft and sony have said "no no, consolekiddies, we want to squeeze more money out of you first with 40 quid a pop games before we give you a shiny new toy."

You're happy to bury your heads in the sand and bleat "SHUT UP! SHUT UP! Everything is great, they didn't skimp on ram! They didn't give my console the airflow of a brick, everything's fine! I'm renewing my monthly subscription for the privilege of playing my games p2p. Baaaa, baaaaa" and make excuses.

GTA V looks dated. There, no pussy footing around. I fucking said it, it's a fact, not an opinion and anyone who disagrees with me is a fucking moron.

Will the way it looks stop it from being a great game? NO! Not at all, and if you even so much as fucking insinuate that I said that then I'm going to roar expletives up your mothers cunt.

Imagine living in a time when someone tried to pass this off as fact.  Its halfway through 2017 and the game still looks incredible!

• Upvote 1

Really enjoying playing this through again on the Ps4.  The missions are a lot better than I remember from the first time around.

Just played the one where Trevor gets reunited with Michael for the first time when he bursts into his kitchen where Michael is talking with his wife and son.  Some great dialogue and then in the middle of their tense little encounter his son reveals his daughter is appearing on TV on basically what is Americas got Talent.  so they put their differences aside to go and stop her being exploited and making an idiot of herself on TV.  I was genuinely laughing during it, and then you engage in a truck chase with Laslo the host of the show that ends in the flood control channel terminator 2 style.

I think now I know and accept the missions are heavily scripted I am enjoying it more this time rather than my first play through when I was hoping the missions would have a more Hitman feel to them.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, clippa said:

Hello! Thanks for the notification. Yes, I am mentally ill.

For context, that quote was me playing the pantomime villain after months of "safety in numbers" scapegoat bullying which came to a head here if you fancy picking over the bones and tossing yourself off -

It was during a time when the forum was very anti pc gamer, things have thankfully calmed down a lot now. Console gamers are now discussing fov in the doom thread and talking about resolutions and framerates in the pro and bone threads.

I made the throwaway comment "this looks a bit dated" and "the people all look a bit sims and plasticiney", after seeing the trailer.

1.thumb.jpg.1418a8a597876d2477ef96f6daab28f8.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.4e3daf11df4e9de984945fdecaac98d7.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.892bb78c9fb2e59c31f2344eabcfe049.jpg

I stand by those comments.

People disagreed and arguments were exaggerated and it all got a bit silly.

For further context

Trust me, I'm no graphics whore. I'm a framerate queen, I'll always drop graphical frills to up my framerate and reduce input lag.

Look at my most recently played games list on steam and you'll see that the latest sexy graphics don't interest me in the slightest - http://steamcommunity.com/id/_clippa_/games/

It was a throwaway comment and I didn't expect the Spanish inquisition, but yes, I acted like a complete cunt.

In short, no matter which sentences you bold for effect, please take that entire quoted comment with a sack full of salt.

Ok, but please admit that you in 2011 saying that GTAV graphics are dated was mental, it looks amazing right now in 2017!  Admittedly I am playing on PS4 but I dont think it ramps things up too much.

47 minutes ago, clippa said:

We were at the tail end of a very long console generation. They did a very good job. That's as far as I'll go :D

So in 2011 the graphics didnt look iike an early 360 game?  Glad we cleared that up :)

55 minutes ago, clippa said:

We were at the tail end of a very long console generation. They did a very good job. That's as far as I'll go :D

Edit: just to be clear, that's going off the original trailer.

I did end up buying it for the xbone but my sister took it from my house and stuck it on ebay, thinking "this is too adult for my son", not realising that maybe someone else might have played games on my cunting xbox.

Never saw the money, or the apology, come to think of it. It was the same month my jodorowsky boxset fucked off to a carboot sale.

hqdefault.jpg

• Upvote 1

I've just started playing this again as it was free on Epic Store, although i did definitely have it for PC before but no idea who with.

Coming off from an extensive play on Red Dead I am finding this to be showing it's age in controls and graphics. Even with mods.

On reflection the openness of Red Dead, small towns within a vast natural landscape hid a lot of the emptiness of GTA5. The grandscale of gta5, today at least, looks very void of anything meaningful. Pedestrains walk aimlessly, cars shunt across the empty roads. 100s of shops and buildings are nothing but a texture.

That said I did have to remind myself that the game is coming up to 7 years old now and I'll stick with it as im looking forward to it opening up later, flying planes again, bank heists and other elaborate missions.

This is less of a criticism of GTA5 and more of a praise for Red Dead I think. GTA5 has been stripped and refined and polished into a gaming world that feels full of life and adventure even after completing the story missions.

If there is any truth to the more episodic nature of GTA6 then this might allow for a fuller world as its without question a lot harder to strip and refine Red Dead into GTA6

As much as I'm enjoying GTA V, you have highlighted why Skyrim is better as an open word in every way. 

And just finished the single player again. Still thoroughly enjoyable overall despite some aspects not aging well (racist and homophobic stereotypes, themes, and language). 

I'm curious where they're going to go with a sixth game. 

• Upvote 1